Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Anything other than a Bjorn for older baby?

This Bjorn active carrier is wreaking havoc on my back. When she was 10 lbs it was great but now that she's nearly 19/20 lbs I am having a hard time using this but I need something for public transporation. Any suggestions?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

When ds2 was around 8 months I just couldn't take the Bjorn anymore and broke down and bought the Beco Butterfly. It was a worthwhile splurge. I thought my wearing days were done but now he is over 1yo and I can still plop him in there. I can wear him on the front or the back with it. The waist band it really distributes the weight. I bought mine used from Frogmama.com. I scoured TheBabyWearer.com for vendor reviews and deals ad that was the best.

The Ergo is a good choice as well. It's very similar to the Beco.

Beth

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We've moved to the Ergo, happily. Actually, I thought I lost it 2 days ago and started really freaking out. Found it in the basket of the double stroller in the back of the car. Phew!

I like that DH is happy to wear it, and it (comfortably) fits 30 lb DD OR 19 lb DS on either me or DH. Well, me before I was bulging again...

DD happily trotted around NYC in it this summer.

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I like my Ergo and have been wearing my 17.5 pound 5 month old for a couple of months. I tried the Bjorn (after using the Ergo) but I hated it. I just got a Beco 4th Generation off Mama Bargains and it seems to be very similar to the Ergo but it gives you the option of crossing the straps in the back or a side hip carry.
    You can get "used" Ergo's from My Favorite Baby Carrier as low as $79 with free shipping and a 90 day money back trial. I think that these carriers are customer returns or floor samples. I ordered one and it was like new.

I just saw the that babySNAZZ has Becco Butterfly's for $79. http://www.babysnazz.com/index.php?m...bbf1d9f0f20bc8
    Last edited by lowrioh; 12-17-2008 at 09:15 AM.

We have a Patapum (Infant)...I find it cumbersome, but DH likes it...I wish I'd spent the extra 20 bucks for the Ergo.

This may help you....

http://www.theportablebaby.com/carrierfeatures.html

I have a Connecta which I LOVE!

My current wish list includes a Beco (Butterfly II), a Pikkolo, a Yamo and a Scootababy....and an Angelpack LX...and a Tentoes Click.

One of the best tips I ever got here was to visit www.thebabywearer.com (TBW) to read scores of product reviews and check out the Soft Structured Carriers forum.
    Last edited by amldaley; 12-17-2008 at 10:44 AM.
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Ergo! We love ours. I got mine at a garage sale, but after using it I would easily buy one full price. I have had DS3 in it for long periods without any back or neck pain. It takes some practice to get them on your back without help, but so worth it. I wore him last night (19 mos, 22 lbs) while I made dinner as he doesn't want to touch the floor lately.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lowrioh
    I just got a Beco 4th Generation off Mama Bargains and it seems to be very similar to the Ergo but it gives you the option of crossing the straps in the back or a side hip carry.
    You know you can do a hip carry in the Ergo also, right? I haven't, but you can.

mommylamb is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I just wish I had bought my Ergo sooner. I hate the bjorn. DS is 18 months and 26 lbs and I still use the Ergo, he still loves it, my back does not suffer one bit.

Default backpack carrier

we use a backpack carrier with ds (18mos old yesterday!!) he is about 30 lbs and loves riding around in it. not an around the house carrier, but great for any other carrying. we got one second hand on ebay, it's made by kelty i believe, but it has an llbean label on it. they are on craigslist all the time in our area.

we took a trip to the zoo recently and ds could see everything without getting out of the carrier. he rides high in it.

this might also be great for your situation, b/c when you take it off, say to sit down, the carrier has an aluminum frame that allows it to stand on it's own. we love that feature on it.
    Last edited by neeleymartin; 12-17-2008 at 12:45 PM.
    neeley

sste is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I have a Beco (the 4th generation - - now discontinued but was on mamabargains for around $60 over Thanksgiving, you may want to email the mamabargains owner to see if that item will come up again). I really like my Beco.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast