Default Vaccinations ?'s

Can anyone recommend a good book that informs new parents about all the different types of vaccinations and which ones are safe for baby?
    Thanks!

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I like "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Sears. He is pro vaccine for public health reasons but lays all the information out there- risks of vaccine vs disease, benefits, reasons to get it, reasons not to get it, list of ingredients (including controversial ones and why), different brands,...I found it to be incredibly valuable. While he is pro- vaccine he is pro informed consent even more and that is what matters to me.

He acknowledges that the current CDC and AAP schedule is not ideal (too many at once, especially too many w/ aluminum) and gives an alternative schedule. We have chosen to follow that schedule along with a few personal adjustments (like delaying/ eliminating some even more).

I also liked reading the vaccine boards at Mothering.com so I could weigh out the feelings and research there too.

That book gets my vote. Quick and easy to read. The AskDrSears.com website has some of the info but the book is much more complete.

Beth

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles
    I like "The Vaccine Book" by Dr. Sears. He is pro vaccine for public health reasons but lays all the information out there- risks of vaccine vs disease, benefits, reasons to get it, reasons not to get it, list of ingredients (including controversial ones and why), different brands,...I found it to be incredibly valuable. While he is pro- vaccine he is pro informed consent even more and that is what matters to me.

He acknowledges that the current CDC and AAP schedule is not ideal (too many at once, especially too many w/ aluminum) and gives an alternative schedule. We have chosen to follow that schedule along with a few personal adjustments (like delaying/ eliminating some even more).

That book gets my vote. Quick and easy to read. The AskDrSears.com website has some of the info but the book is much more complete.

Beth
    That's my vote too! I only wish I had heard about it BEFORE DD was 5mos old and after having received all her 2mo and 4mo vax's. I also go to his website, askdrsears.com to read his updates, such as his thoughts on the this year's flu vax and his thoughts on the shortage of the separate M, M, and R vax's.

We are fully vaccinating DD but have decided to spread them out and not give her more than 1 or 2 shots (depending on what is being given) at any one time.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I am a very strong proponent of vax's. I did, however, delay both girls chickenpox. Also, no vax's are given at birth in Canada, so no HepB until 2m. With DD#2 I had to spread out her MMR/varicella because the doctors were nervous about her having them at all due to anaphylaxis just before those shots were due.

I did read the Sears book and probably would have followed the alternate schedule to some degree if I had read it earlier.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Another Sears fan here. My DD is fully vaccinated at this point but I love being able to read up on all the shots ahead of time and know what she will be getting. If we have a second I will probably consider using his less agressive schedule.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

The Dr. Sears book is pretty good but I really, really enjoyed What Your Doctor May Not Tell you About Vaccinations by Stephanie Cave.
    Last edited by tmonroe; 12-28-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles

I also liked reading the vaccine boards at Mothering.com so I could weigh out the feelings and research there too.

Beth
    Same thing we did.