Thread: Tooth care

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Tooth care

DS is 11 months and has 4 teeth. I'm wondering how often I should be brushing his teeth. Can you recommend a safe toothpaste - prefer to stay away from the kids flavored pastes. Also, when should we see a dentist? When should I start trying to floss his teeth?
    TIA

jbrandy is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Teeth

I would suggest at least 1ce a day before bed until more teeth come. We have a 5 year old and 20 month old. Our 5 year old brushes as we do, 2ce a day. Our 20 month old -- I do it before bed and he chews and plays with his brush and paste himself a least once a day. DS#2 just loves chewing on a playing around with brushing his own teeth, so I will give him the brush with a little paste and let him use it himself in the morning. We just use the "toddler paste" -- no fluride -- I think we have the Thomas Toddler toothpaste right now.

I don't know if this helps you or not but it is what we do.

Thanks,
    Beth
    Beth B
    DS 4-4-03
    DS 4-18-07

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I get the toothpaste that is marked for their ages - I think it is Orajel from BRU, but I could be way off. We use a little brush on him 1x/day, but DD brushes with a toddler toothpaste 2x/day - finishing the Thomas one, moving to the non-fluoride Tom's next. You need to floss when the teeth are close together, so probably not for a while.