aes74 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Default My DS cannot sleep when we are out HELP

Alright, so I am at my wit's end...

My DS is almost 12 weeks old. He is a child who thrives on his routine and familiar surroundings. When we are at home I can generally follow his cues and get him to nap pretty well in general. This is important, because if you miss his window he is overtired, overstimulated and becomes this frenetic ball of screaming. It is hard to bring him back down from this. Right now, as he is young I try to keep him home and in his routine as much as possible. Obviously, however there are times when I've got to leave the house...groceries, picking my older girls up from school, church, etc. So...today is a perfect example of the sound and the fury...HAD to go to Target today to run some Christmas errands. I let him have two good naps this morning, he woke, I fed him and waited until he was a bit sleepy and put him in the car. He fell asleep, and slept for a bit at Target. He woke, I went to the fitting rooms and nursed him. He was happy for a bit and then began to get sleepy. I swaddled him, cuddled him a bit, put him in his carseat. No go. I tried every position carrying him, patting his rump, paci, walking around, letting him fuss, everything I could think of. He became more and more upset, more out of control, until he was completely overtired and overstimulated. He hollered and hollered and hollered and I finally reached my breaking point and left the cart in the middle of the store and left in tears. I have two older children and never went through this before. I am at a loss and do not know what to do. I cannot take him anywhere...to Mimi's house, anywhere as he can't sleep. I can only imagine what Christmas will be like at the relatives. HELP!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Have you tried wearing him? Target sells Hotslings and they are good. There are other good carriers too (Ergo, Beco...) that would be worth trying too. Sometimes just being snuggled up with mom and all of your motions is good. Different than just holding baby too sometimes. Might be worth a shot. My boys rarely slept at that age when we were out. They were content to take in the world from their Bjorn.

I wonder if something more is going on. It doesn't sound like he is that sleep deprived to react that way. He had had 2 naps, dozed in the car and nursed. I don't know what it could be but it doesn't seem like lack of sleep is his issue but that's just my hunch.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I hope it gets better!
    Beth

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yeah, I was going to suggest wearing also. I've never seen a kid in an Ergo screaming his head off, well, except for DD on DH's back once having a fit and trying to throw herself backwards because she wanted to be "yunning" in a busy, dangerous place.

I could have written that post myself a few weeks ago....definetly try a carrier....we have a soft structured carrier (like Ergo, Beco etc...ours is called Connecta). I practiced wearing dd around the house first a few times before going out. Now, when we are out, she looks around at the world for 30 minutes or so then passes out....and she is not normally a big napper...she passed out so cold at Sams. I had to walk around with her head in my hand!

Check out the Carriers forum here on BBB and then head over to www.thebabywearer.com for more info.

eta:....I also just decided to start going out with her on a regular basis....I think we spent so much time at home, she just became inflexible out of the house.
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

TraciG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Good luck the carrier sound's like a good idea !

My 10 month old isn't great out & he's much older !
    Traci

Mom to Sydney Nicole & Jacob Hunter

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by amldaley

eta:....I also just decided to start going out with her on a regular basis....I think we spent so much time at home, she just became inflexible out of the house.
    I do this too and I think it helps. 5 days of the week we go out from around 11-1.

Beth

You guys have inspired me. I will definitely try the carrier. I just have got to be able to get a few things done, and also I have to say I am also feeling a bit of cabin fever. I will check out the carriers board for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles
    I wonder if something more is going on. It doesn't sound like he is that sleep deprived to react that way. He had had 2 naps, dozed in the car and nursed. I don't know what it could be but it doesn't seem like lack of sleep is his issue but that's just my hunch.
    Beth
    What do you think it could be? Any ideas? I am at a loss of what else...beside the dreaded colic, but I am in denial about that as a possibility.