Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

It is my understanding that the plastic bags used for frozen do not have BPA - it's usually used as a liner (to keep things from sticking) or for hard plastics like Nalgene bottles as a hardening agent. There were a few articles in our local paper last year and I'll try to find them but I did panic a bit last year before realizing that I could not control everything (I'm a bit of a control-freak). For example, I do a bean salad which is easy, nutritious, and DS eats - and I usually get the beans from cans. Open cans, dump in, add oil/vineager mix and serve. Now, I buy plastic bags and have to boil them all, so it adds a day to my prep time. We cannot afford to be buying all organic (though we buy as much as we can), or things like whole fresh tuna to replace canned, so we eat canned tuna in moderation now (it doesn't come in bags up here - which, of course, aren't recyclable anyways, so there's more guilt on that). And what am I supposed to do about refried beans? Do people really make their own? That's sort of a rhetorical question, but I have no idea how.

So, we try to avoid canned foods, choose more fresh or frozen, but we do eat them in moderation. I try to make the best choices I can, but we don't live in fear either. Also, I do remember hearing that highly acidic things like canned tomatoes had much higher BPA content than other things when tested. The heating thing is a big deal though.

I'll try to find those articles and post them, though maybe one of our scientists or Britonne2 will chime in
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

Last edited by MontrealMum; 01-01-2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: added links
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default ? for MontrealMum or...

anyone know if the lids for frozen orange juice concentrate have bpa or other toxins? dd1 used to play with them as a babe and i'm wondering if this may not be safe for dd2.

I honestly don't know about oj can lids. If you look at the underside of baby food jar lids or spag. sauce, as well as the inside of the can walls you can see that it's not just shiny metal, but there's a coating there that makes the metal "matte" or even sometimes a different color - I assume that's the part with the BPA in it. But I *think* oj cans are shiny metal on both sides? We don't drink it, so I don't really remember. Maybe someone else knows more?
    DS, Summer '07

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum
    I honestly don't know about oj can lids. If you look at the underside of baby food jar lids or spag. sauce, as well as the inside of the can walls you can see that it's not just shiny metal, but there's a coating there that makes the metal "matte" or even sometimes a different color - I assume that's the part with the BPA in it. But I *think* oj cans are shiny metal on both sides? We don't drink it, so I don't really remember. Maybe someone else knows more?
    Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum
    Actually, most cans, whether they have organic contents or not, are lined with BPA.
    yes, they are shiny metal on both sides. sounds like they're different from the baby food lids. i wonder if they could be safer than "most cans?" that's probably just wishful thinking...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2