Default Sores in under chin & neck skin folds?

Argh. DD is not a fat baby, but she does have folds at her chin and neck. I was able to clean her there before she developed her super neck control (and her iron will to go with it). Now she won't let me in there! We have to trick her to lift her chin (by playing w/ a toy behind her head to get her to look backwards).

Well, now there is a horrible red sore in the crease...and it's stinky. The skin is broken and at one end it is even cracked and bleeding a bit.

Any tips for cleaning and or preventing this?????
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DD2 was getting a bit cheesy and red in this fold too. We tilt her head back lifting body up and wipe with a wet washcloth. I used diaper rash cream (not bleeding though) and it cleared it right up.

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

That's yeast. My dd has it there too. Our pediatrician prescribed Nystatin which didn't clear it up all the way but it did help. I also started drying her neck folds with a blow dryer and that's helped a bit. Not her favorite event of the day, but she tolerates it.
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

Quote Originally Posted by Clarity
    That's yeast. My dd has it there too. Our pediatrician prescribed Nystatin which didn't clear it up all the way but it did help. I also started drying her neck folds with a blow dryer and that's helped a bit. Not her favorite event of the day, but she tolerates it.
    UGH. That makes sense. She has a case of thrush that is not going away. I was planning on making an appointment tomorrow for that. Thanks!!!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

i agree- sounds like a yeast infectio- no biggie to 'fix' with the cream your dr will rx.
    good luck....

I have no experience with this, but I'm wandering if using a cotton ball to wash the area or to apply protective lotion/medicine might be easier than using a washcloth or your hand or whatever. I would think that a cotton ball (or one of those little cotton rounds people use for removing makeup) would be softer on her skin, and also easier to sort of smoosh in there when she's being uncooperative, lol!
    Mom to J 6/25/08 and M 6/21/11