Default Recurrent Yeast Infection

Does anyone have any experience with a recurrent yeast infection??? The antifungal creams didn't work so the doc prescribed Vusion (expensive cream). It had worked before but for some reason now, it isn't working at all and my poor son's bottom is hurting him (he is crying when I wipe). I feel helpless and don't know what to do. The doctor says the same stuff every time I go - that those creams should be working. Any help??!?!!??!?!

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Is he having any other signs of yeast? Thrush? Is he breastfed?

These are some of the things we do for diaper rash:

Wipe with water only - either using cloth wipes or rinse the disposible wipes by running under water then squeezing out

Dry completely after each change by fanning with a diaper or airing out

Balmex at every change after completely dry - put it on thick, like cream cheese on a bagel. A thin coat of antifungal first 2-3 times per day.

Bath every night with baking soda

After bath we dry with a hair dryer on cool, then a thin coat of lotramin, tinactin or other antifungal cream followed by a thick coat of Balmex.

Probiotics can be helpful - get some from the refrigerated section of a health food store. You can get some specific to babies or get capsules and break them open.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

If he is cloth diapered, you'll need to sanitize your dipes. Consider a diet change...no sugars, little fruit and no yeasty foods like bread (or diet change for you if you are nursing),

We are seeing the Dr in the a.m. for thrush that won't go away. I'lll let you know if they say anything helpful!
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

If the cremes aren't working, then the source of the yeast infection still *is*, kwim?

As PP's suggested, try dietary changes and probiotics - the first to get rid of the source, the second to rebuild the good flora.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

My daughter had them for the first 15 MONTHS of her life, we went through anti-fungals, antibiotics, anti-virals, etc. Over $1000 (WITH insurance!) in creams from 4 peds, 1 derm and an allergist until that last allergist finally took care of it. . how? ORAL anti-fungal. Once they've had the infections that long it's in their digestive tract. Everytime they poo, they re-infect their skin. Every stinking time. So anything on the top of the skin isn't going to fix it. Ours was Nystatin--3x day for a month, and now, finally, finally, she has a cute baby bum and not a purple-spotted, raw, itchy, cry-inducing, daycare provider-freak-outing diaper area.

For us, it had to be drugs. She ate probiotic yogurt everyday sometimes 2x and it still wouldn't go.

Good luck. Keep pushing until it gets better. It will.