o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Toddler Hooded Towels

These are the wrap around kind, not the poncho kind. I found the original instructions that I used, but the website with picture is no longer available, so here is the text (my comments in blue):

you need 1 regular size bath towel, and one hand towel (each hand towel will make 2 hoods)

cut the hand towel in half

fold back the end of the hand towel where it is tightly woven and sew - this is the end with the 'band' on it, fold it so that the hem is turned under

fold hand towel in half with right sides together and sew cut edges together with a tight zig zag stitch - You are folding it so that your cut edge is folded in half and that is what you sew. The 'finished band edge' that you just sewed will be opposite and that is the front of the hood. I usually use a straight stitch to make the seam, then open the seam and sew each edge with the zigzag to keep from fraying. In the end you want the banded edge to be 'out', so that is the 'right side'
    match the center of the hood to the center of one length of the bath towel with hood on "outside", sew overlapped edges together with a tight zig zag stitch - You are attaching the finished edges of the hand towel that you didn't sew to the long side of the bath towel. I found the best way to get an even overlap is to figure out how much overlap you want (1/2"?) and then mark that distance down on the bath towel at several points left and right of center. Then take a piece of masking tape and mark that line all the way along as a guide. Use a long straight stitch to baste the hood on, then go back with the zigzag for a stronger seam.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

sounds great