Question How are Nautilus and Frontier secured to car when boosters?

I'm doing my research to buy DD#1 who's 5 in March, 43" 40lbs, a new car seat. Right now she's in a MA which we love, but we want to move DD#2 who's 3 into it. For DD#1 I think the best option would be a 5pt harness that can also become a booster. I want to keep her harnessed for another year at least. We have a '02 Crew Cab Silverado pickup w/o latch and a '07 Nissan Altima w/latch. I'll need a 5pt/booster for each.

I'm trying to decide between the Graco Nautilus and the Britax Frontier. I was leaning toward the Nautilus in both until I read that in HBB mode, you don't secure the seat to the car w/latch. Is that right? That doesn't seem safe to me. Does anyone know if it moves around while the child is in it? The Frontier in HBB mode does use latch? If that's the case, I'm thinking about buying a Frontier for the Altima that has latch and the Nautilus for the truck that doesn't have latch. Like I said, I won't be using HBB mode for another year at least, but I like to plan ahead. Any reason I shouldn't worry about having the seat latch secured in HBB mode?

Thanks,
    Deb

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm pretty sure both of them can use LATCH in booster mode. No matter what, you won't have that option in the truck, though you could use a top tether if available. Those seats aren't particularly tippy as a booster, from what I have heard.

Generally, boosters are not secured in any way, they just boost the child up and use the regular seatbelt to restrain them. Some can be tippy compared to others depending on the seat and the vehicle, but really there isn't any data to show if a LATCHed booster is safer. It does remove the projectile risk of an unoccupied booster, though.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

I have frontiers and you still you the latch connectors to hold the carseat in place when in booster mode. That is what I liked about it so much is that when my daughter outgrows I can use it as HBB but more importantly that it can still be secured to the seat when in booster mode.
    Kelle
    Mom to Riley (05-03)
    (She's a girl, not a boy)
    Used to sit in REGENT
    NOW SITS IN FRONTIER
    WE LOVE!!!