Thread: Need some help.

nckd is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Exclamation Need some help.

Hello. My daughter is going to be six months tomorrow. I've only been feeding her rice cereal twice a day. She's getting hungry now. I'm not sure when to feed her a third meal. I haven't introduced her to any other food. The doctor told me that they didn't want me to until six months. So, I figured I'd start her off on carrots and then move forward from there. Does anyone have an example of a schedule I should follow. I'm a little lost.

Thanks in advance.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If she is hungry you need to up the formula or the amount of breastfeeding sessions. Solids should not be used really for fending off hunger at this age- they should just be for practice. And, honestly, one solid food session/ day is plenty for a 6 month old. Most people do not add a 3rd meal until close to one year. Her nutrition needs to come from formula or breastmilk.

In answer to your other part, I actually skipped cereal when I introduced solids to my 6+ month old and went straight to fruits and vegetables. Go slow with those things. And, I would probably start off with something more like pears, sweet potatoes, avacado or apples.

The best book I had for feeding info was "The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears. See if you can get it from your library or bookstore. It is very, very handy. His site, askdrsears.com, has a lot of the same information too if you just want to head there to start. There is a whole article on how to start solid feeding.

Beth

I've read that root vegetables like carrots are the best food to start with because a very low percentage of the population is allergic.

Then, introduce a new food every 3-4 days.

I've also heard that avocado is a good starter along with sweet potatoes.
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13