Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would give a small-sized children's book. Maybe a board book? Who doesn't have room for a book? Just give it discreetly and I think they won't hate you for it.
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

KBecks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Oh, musical cards are LOTS of fun! Good call!
    Karen, mom to three beautiful boys, 10/2004, 7/2006 and 10/2008!
    trying to spend less time online, doh!

*I regret choosing circumcision for my sons.*
    Our new arrival is NOT circed.

I would have a hard time going empty handed also. I really liked the idea about the musical card, and would probably give a donation in the child's name. IMO, I think giving cash is too impersonal and might make them uncomfortable, but who could possibly argue with a donation?

Anna
    DS1 5.10.05

DS2 12.10.08

I totally understand too much "stuff," and I am considering a "no gift" party myself, if I do a birthday party this year.

My kids just went to a "no gift" party, and I felt like we were the only family who didn't bring a gift. The next day I asked the director of our preschool if there was a book she wished the school had - she gave me a few titles, and I bought a hardcover version of the book, and wrote on the inside, "In honor of Joey Smith's 3rd Birthday."

The director told the child's mom that we had done this. The mom was thrilled and told me it was the best gift ever.

You could do something like this and give the birthday child a card saying you were doing this...

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I personally believe that if no gifts is stated on any invitation that they really aren't needed or wanted so I won't bring a gift. It's only happened a handful of times, esp. when the kiddos were only 1 year old. I like the idea of bringing a card and adding a little book or cd of childrens' music though if you feel like you must bring something.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

kayte is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD's birthday is Monday-- and we have always done the no present birthday party--because of the holidays being so close among the reasons.

As a host of such parties I really appreciate when people come empty handed (cards are great-- we have big felt mailbox and DD loves to put cards and letters in it!)

On occasion one or two guests bring a gift, a gift card, money in an envelope. It turns out awkward for them, me and the other guests.

One thing I never am stressed to see is some food for the party--so bring some drinks or a plate of homemade cookies if you feel the need to carry something in (I get that too!)

Just remembered that DD's godparents always bring flowers--there's another option!

ccather is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Oh no! Not the singing cards! I *hate* those things! DD got two of them for her first brithday. She couldn't have cared any less about them, but her older siblings were thrilled! I, however, was not thrilled to have two children running throught the house for days with Dora singing happy birthday and the shrill sound of a musical version of happy birthday. At the same time.

God Bless Tylenol.

Mysteriously, those cards have disappeared.
    Last edited by ccather; 01-12-2009 at 09:54 PM.
    Chris.
    --
    DS 10/03
    DD 6/05
    DD 11/07

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Those battery operated cards are great! Dora got a Spider Man card from MIL. When you open it just says, "happy birthday super hero!" Followed by cheers. She LOVED it. Now Arwyn LOVES it. Then we went to a friend's 3yo party and he got a Lightning MacQueen card. It plays around 10 seconds of some rock music. Must be from the movie. Anyway, whenever we go visit the three of them have to take turns with the card because they just LOVE it. We're thinking of getting something like that for Arwyn on her 2nd birthday as a gift. Why not? Cheap (in absolute dollars) and we know she'll love it.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

egfmba is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hollybloom24 View Post
    ...I bought a hardcover version of the book, and wrote on the inside, "In honor of Joey Smith's 3rd Birthday."...
    I know a mom who does this every year. She has a birthday party for her twin boys and invites our boys and each year she asks everyone to donate a book to the school (our sons are autistic and go to a school that teaches only kids on the spectrum) for their birthdays. So there are a lot of books at the library "in honor of bo & bob's birthday." It's great!

eva

sadie427 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Really, she couldn't have possibly made it any clearer. She really does not want you to bring a present! Not a gift card, not cash, not a book! Just go and have a great time!
    ------
    S.

DS 2003
    DS 2009

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast