Default Baby loves the TV

ARGH.

My 6 mo is so in to TV! I try to only have it on a couple of hours a day, but DH has duty and the TV fills the adult-voice void. I know too much TV is bad for babies, heck, France outlawed programming aimed at babies! I am torn between my selfish need and my obligation to dd.

How do other SAHM's handle it?????????
    ---------
    A-M
    happy mother to DD1, 7/08 & DD2, 2/12
    charter member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society, 1/11

I believe in the power of BBB Good Mojo.
    ---------

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

How about a cd or the radio while baby is awake and then turn on the tv when they're sleeping. I DVR the shows I like and watch them when she is sleeping. If she wakes up while I'm still watching, I go get her and sometimes finish the show off while we're in the same room. She watches too sometimes, but she usually loses interest after a little while.

I remember at about 4 months though, she was GLUED to the tv. It might just be because it's new and there are people moving around in it. I wouldn't be too worried.

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

My 6months old is the same. He loves TV. Until very recently, if the TV was on he would stare at it until it was turned off. It feels like he is losing interest a bit, though he still keeps looking at it often if it is on. I have heard others say this too and I think once they start getting more interested in toys and moving around, they will probabaly not be as glued to it. I mentioned this to the ped at his 6month check and he said he doesn't recommend seating the child in front of the TV to entertain/babysit him, but its ok if you are watching something and he happens to look at it while playing (guess he meant you don't have to totally avoid TV, but a little bit is ok).

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

To fill the void, how about joining a playgroup or moms club? We joined when DS1 was 4 months and I'm still in it now. I have great friends from the group and would have gone nuts without it!
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by ahrimie View Post
    How about a cd or the radio while baby is awake and then turn on the tv when they're sleeping. I DVR the shows I like and watch them when she is sleeping. If she wakes up while I'm still watching, I go get her and sometimes finish the show off while we're in the same room. She watches too sometimes, but she usually loses interest after a little while.

I remember at about 4 months though, she was GLUED to the tv. It might just be because it's new and there are people moving around in it. I wouldn't be too worried.
    Yeah, we listen to music alot and sometimes I'll go for days w/out turning the TV on...I DVR just about everything as I detest commercials. Maybe I am sensitive to it today as I am super tired and it has been just DD and I since last night and will be until tomorrow night...I am using the TV to keep awake and keep me company! I'll just do penance w/ no TV for a few days later this week

4 mos was when dd's obsession began, too!
    ---------
    A-M

---------

Quote Originally Posted by KrisM View Post
    To fill the void, how about joining a playgroup or moms club? We joined when DS1 was 4 months and I'm still in it now. I have great friends from the group and would have gone nuts without it!
    I tried But we live 35 minutes from any groups. The closest Moms meet up is 35 minutes away and we have nothing here like Gymboree. I am normally ok during the days. But when DH is gone, I am alone all evening and night, too. I am returning to work soon (if I ever get a job!), so that's not much of an issue. I just worry about the negative developmental impact of TV on dd...ADD and all that!

Wow...I must sound pathetic!!!
    ---------
    A-M

---------

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My kids are pretty much TV free, but when they were babies they certainly caught glimpses and stuff of what we watched. I'm not sure at what point we became more aware of it and started waiting until they went to bed to watch (if at all).

DH and I find it easiest to just keep the TV out of our main living area.

I listen to a lot of NPR, books on CD, music, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    My kids are pretty much TV free, but when they were babies they certainly caught glimpses and stuff of what we watched. I'm not sure at what point we became more aware of it and started waiting until they went to bed to watch (if at all).

DH and I find it easiest to just keep the TV out of our main living area.

I listen to a lot of NPR, books on CD, music, etc.
    ooh! I hadn't thought of books on CD. I used those all the time when I commuted from DC to NC every weekend. I could play them at home. Thanks!
    ---------
    A-M

---------

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

As for a playgroup, there have to be some other moms and babies closer than 30 min. away. Find a park and see if there are some there, or ask at a church or on base or whatever. You can even start one yourself with just a couple people. Really, it does provide a few great benefits besides a distraction from TV.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Wow...I must sound pathetic!!!
    Not at all! Lots and lots of new moms go exactly what you're experiencing.......... needs of the baby vs. need for mom to stay sane LOL.

I don't think glimpses of TV now will do harm. We had a rule for our DD early on: TV can be on only if she wasn't watching it. She did tend to face away from the TV -- but only because she was facing a window where she could see the reflection of the TV!

I agree with the PPs, TiVo is a great great invention.