Default How much to pay?

I am hoping to have my brother here to watch DD when the baby is born. I will obviously pay to fly him here, but I also want to pay him for watching her. I am not sure how many days I will need him, but what would you say is a fair amount per day? He would be taking care of a 3 year old pretty much all day. He is fabulous with her and DD loves him to pieces so I am sure she will absolutely love having him here. DH would go home and he could bring her to the hospital, but since I will have a repeat c-section, I need DH in the hospital especially at night. I am sure if I ask my brother, he will say nothing, but that is not very fair.

Oh, he is 21 and will be fresh out of college so I am sure he could use some extra cash, kwim?

Thanks!
    DD1 06
    DD2 09
    DS1 13

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician

When I was in college I took care of my aunt's 3 kids (the youngest was in kindergarten, the oldest in middle school) and she paid $50/day. I was thrilled. I'm 7 years out of college FWIW.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Wow that is hard to say. There is SUCH a range. If it were my babysitter (not brother), she would normally charge $15/hour but for something like this, I'd negotiate a rate for the whole gig. I would think 75-100/day maybe. But we live in New England and this is a babysitter (not brother). In your situation not sure where you are and what the $ situation is. Also just an idea but could you get him a major gift instead?
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

When I was in college, I babysat for a family of two kids for long weekends. I was paid $100 for each day and left spending cash to take the kids places and out to eat, pay for gas etc. This was 10-12 years ago (ack, I'm getting old). I was not family though.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I wouldn't pay him like I paid him a babysitter (no hourly/ daily amount). But, I would probably buy him something big ticket that he really wanted or needed for his new non-college life. And I would be sure and supply him with food and $ to eat out with when he was babysitting.

Beth

I would say an amount that's slightly significant yet affordable for you, be it $100 or $500.

Honestly, I'm sure he is thrilled to help you/spend time with his niece so will love any amount you give him. I would do what you can and not stress.

Congratulations!
    Truth does not become more true by virtue of the fact that the entire world agrees with it, nor less so even if the whole world disagrees with it.
    --Moses Maimonides