Hi
I'm new to this forum and am desperately seeking some advice about my daughter who turned 3 in September.

She's a bright girl, who speaks very well (uses words like 'difficulty' and 'situation' in the right context), can sing the alphabet, recognizes a lot of letters, can write her own name unaided, and knows 20 or more songs. BUT, she cannot recognize numbers, not even the number 1. I have spent time with her on it, and she really wants to do it but she just can't get to grips with it. I try and turn the learning into a game, and she really enjoys it and does make a tiny bit of progress, but 5 minutes later she's completely drawn a blank on it again and can't even pick out numbers 1 to 3.

I really don't understand it, as she can count almost to 20, can hold up the correct amount of fingers that correspond to a number and can do simple puzzles such as 'if Peter is 4 now how old will he be on his next birthday'. She picks up everything else so easily but for some reason number recognition just doesn't register with her. I'm trying to make light of it, and certainly don't want to push her, but every time she gets her little felt calendar out to do the date she ends up frustrated with herself and I end up worried!

Should I be concerned? Should I speak to somebody about it or should I just let her be and assume she'll click with it in her own time?

Sorry if I'm being paranoid - I always told myself I wouldn't be this sort of mother!