Default Can't recognize numbers!!!

Hi
    I'm new to this forum and am desperately seeking some advice about my daughter who turned 3 in September.

She's a bright girl, who speaks very well (uses words like 'difficulty' and 'situation' in the right context), can sing the alphabet, recognizes a lot of letters, can write her own name unaided, and knows 20 or more songs. BUT, she cannot recognize numbers, not even the number 1. I have spent time with her on it, and she really wants to do it but she just can't get to grips with it. I try and turn the learning into a game, and she really enjoys it and does make a tiny bit of progress, but 5 minutes later she's completely drawn a blank on it again and can't even pick out numbers 1 to 3.

I really don't understand it, as she can count almost to 20, can hold up the correct amount of fingers that correspond to a number and can do simple puzzles such as 'if Peter is 4 now how old will he be on his next birthday'. She picks up everything else so easily but for some reason number recognition just doesn't register with her. I'm trying to make light of it, and certainly don't want to push her, but every time she gets her little felt calendar out to do the date she ends up frustrated with herself and I end up worried!

Should I be concerned? Should I speak to somebody about it or should I just let her be and assume she'll click with it in her own time?

Sorry if I'm being paranoid - I always told myself I wouldn't be this sort of mother!

g-mama is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicnoo View Post
    I always told myself I wouldn't be this sort of mother!
    Then don't be. She's fine. In fact, it sounds like she is extremely bright and doing much more than is typical at her age. My 2nd grader gets excellent grades in school and didn't do most of the stuff you mentioned by that age.

Really - she's probably just not ready to do numbers yet. It's O-K.
    Kristen
    mama to 3 wild and crazy boys - ages 16, 13 and 11

Numbers are an abstract concept. The idea that the symbol 2 stands for two of something will come when her mind is developmentally ready to comprehend it. Give her time.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

Thanks guys! I always have to have something to worry about! I think we'll put numbers aside for a while and come back to it another time

nicnoo is the problem solved now since my daughter is facing the same now reply

nice post, I hope you will keep up the good work
    Areli