Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default FAVORITE Canadian stores?

Okay...I am going to sound like an IDIOT but I don't care. Whenever I go into Canada I am surrounded by all of the wonderfully mysterious stores ~ Galaxy, The Bay, Zellers, Winners ~ to name a very few. I LOVE to shop ~ grocery, kids & mommy clothing, home goods...anything. DH doesn't have much patience but he understands that I DO like shopping adventures every now and then. So...what are YOUR FAVORITE stores?? I love a GOOD grocery store (you have the BEST candy & potato chips up there!!), Target-like store, or anything. Can you help me navigate Canadian shopping??? I am clueless!

TIA...signed, a clueless American shopper!!
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Winners = TJ Maxx (same parent company, selection is FAR WORSE and out of date compared to TJ Maxx). Personally, I loathe Winners.

Zellers is kinda like KMart in the US. Smaller than a Target or Walmart, higher prices. THey do sell the CHerokee line of clothes that is also found at Target, but they do not sell Circo clothes. You will find the prices high there and the stores are dirty. Ick.

Walmart in Canada again has higher prices and poorer selection compared to the US stores.

If you want something truly Canadian and don't mind paying $$, you can get an Hudson's Bay Company blanket. They are a few hundred dollars, but they are the same blankets (though probably MIC, not sure about that) that the fur traders traded to the Indians (First Nations) for pelts. Well, minus the smallpox, of course.

Hmmm, what else. Maple syrup. Sooooo much better than the crapola syrup you have in the US. You might even be able to actually visit a syrup farm in Quebec, that would be kinda cool.

Rodgers Chocolates are Canadian and very expensive (made in Victoria BC). THere are some East-coast brands that are Made in Canada, Molly might know those. Also, we have different mainstream-brand candy than the US too. There are LOTS of products in mainstream groceries that are now peanut-free that are not in the US (for example, Quaker granola bars in various (not all) flavors, most Dare products).

Matt & Nat purses are a Canadian brand. La Canadiene boots. Those coats Molly talks about. Roots is a Canadian brand, kinda like Coach but more emphasis on leather goods.

Holt Renfrew is like Neiman Marcus.

More later....
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we値l change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Well, this feels a bit strange to me as I usually do most of my shopping in the US - sooo much cheaper, but here goes...

From what you mentioned:
    -The Bay is a department store, originally the Hudson's Bay Company, and the oldest business in the British Empire. It was founded in 1670. More here: http://www.hbc.com/hbcheritage/history/ They have the same sorts of things as Marshall's Fields or Hudson's (now Macy's?) Their customer service is abysmal...as in, do they even have any sales clerks?
    -Galaxy I've never heard of, but it may be regional...I'll have to Google
    -Zellers is the Canadian version of Target....but leaves much to be desired if you've actually shopped at Target. That said, I still shop there a lot.
    -Winners is owned by TJ Maxx and is similar but their shoe prices are through the roof

Here in Montreal:
    -I like to shop at Simon's and Ogilvy's which are both department stores. Simon's is based in Quebec City and does trendy with great sales, some higher end stuff. Ogilvy's is not a chain, has a piper every day playing throughout the store at noon, crystal chandaliers and lots of brass and marble. Makes me feel very special It's a good place for all the fancy Am. beauty stuff we can't get here since there is no Sephora.
    -There are lots of boutique-y places here since Mtl. has quite a fashion design scene...to many to list, but St.-Denis is a great street to shop on. Mont-Royal is good for (extremely overpriced) vintage.

I very much enjoyed shopping in Vancouver when I visited in the spring, and if you want fancy or organic grocery - that's the place to get it. Apparently Toronto has Whole Foods now, but I haven't been to TO in awhile. Here in Mtl. we have lots of small ethnic grocery stores which make it a bit easier to cook your own Indian or Japanese food or whatever. We also have several great outdoor markets.

I am afraid that I try to steer clear of potato chips (they are my downfall) and I don't eat candy, so I'm no help there, but Pharmaprix (called Shopper's Drug Mart elsewhere) has a great line called Nativa that does some pseudo-healthy snacks: as in, organic cheese puffs. They also sell imported European chocolate.

Lots of Canadian stores are turning up in the US nowadays: Roots (which was actually started by 2 Michiganders!), MAC, La Cache, Aldo. I like La Cache and MAC but Aldo shoes are carp. Brown's is better, they have one in Water Tower Place in Chicago. We also have tons of your basic American mall stores too like Banana (finally!), Nine West, and apparently American Eagle (just saw that the other day).

Alot of Canadian shopping is regional or even city-specific, so if you have a target area I could tell you more. I have been to every province except Sask., but none of the territories and I LOVE to shop.

Ah, Melissa was faster than me! I got distracted thinking about Ogilvy's and then forgot Holts! I'll think a bit more, but really boutiques are your best bet for unique here in Quebec.
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we値l change the world." ~Jack Layton

I totally forgot about Ogilvy's! Yes, again, very upscale, more so than Holts even.

Not sure if there is one in Montreal, but MEC (Mountain Equipment Coop) is rather like REI, but better prices. You really must purchase one of these bags to say you've been to Canada:

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1232317171622

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1232317200381

As for chips, hmmmm, where to start. Lays here are different than in the US (better here, IMO). I like the 50% less salt version in the light blue bag.

Roots leather goods are made in Canada, which would make a nice souvenier (sp?). I didn't know the founders were American (learn something new everyday!), but the original store was in Toronto.

I think you will find that customer service in most stores is completely lacking compared to the US. Clerks here really don't give a darn. The customer is not king here. Zellers is owned by Hudson's Bay Company (which, IIRC, was bought out by an American group last year). I try to avoid both stores (along with the third in the group, Home Outfitters) as much as possible.

There is also Canadian Tire, which isn't just automotive goods. Not sure what I'd compare it to in the US. It has lots of housewares and outdoors stuff (like sleds).

FYI, you won't find a better place to shop for women's shoes than Montreal. Seriously, its the best place on the planet.
    Melissa

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we値l change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

3blackcats is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The store I have to hit when i go home is Roots. I love this store. In fact, i am wearing my new Roots sweatshirt as I type. Someone mentioned Canadian Tire. I do like that store.

Food Goods that I must have when home:
    -Rolo ice cream. There is nothing like this in the US. This is one thing that I wish could be sent to me
    -Diet Coke. Canadian Diet Coke is much better than the American version. I have no idea why, but it just is.
    -Smarties, Aero, Coffee Crisp, Wunderbar are my favourite chocolate bars.

Ugh, now I'm home sick.

Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Dh's fam lives for Tim Horton's coffee/doughnuts... but I'm born & bred Dunkin' Donuts so I don't really get it.

Love Roots, missed that on our last trip up there!!

Sadly, a lot of what is available here is available in the US and vice versa...I used to love it when I would take a trip and get something totally unusual and unique that noone else had, but those days are fast disappearing. So, I think I'll concentrate on Canadian stores and products here.

Melissa is totally right about MEC, can't believe I forgot that one! I was in London many years ago carrying my shoulder bag (the 1st link) and was crossing the street when a woman passed me carrying the same bag and going the opposite direction. We both sort of stared for a moment and then kept moving because of traffic. But it's just something that really says Canada. Another really popular Coop item is this jacket: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1232329163958 I use mine for XC skiing and cycling, they're also popular for running. There's a Gore-tex version too.

I used to watch Martha Stewart on TV many years ago and she was always using all these "gadgets" and started selling many of them off her website. Here's a little hint - they come from Lee Valley. The two big ones are the little metal watch cases with lids and the wood rasp used as a grater. Here's the main link, they have great stuff: http://www.leevalley.com/home.aspx They specialize in woodworking, gardening and cooking stuff. There isn't a store in the province of Quebec, but the one in Ottawa is near the Ikea (as well as Michael's, but you have that at home.

Another thing that's unique to Montreal is the traditional bagel - which I guess is what they have in NY too? Anyways, it's a heated debate, but you cant' get them anywhere else in Canada, and the two places (again, huge debate on which is better) is Fairmount http://www.fairmountbagel.com/eng/index.htm and St. Viateur http://www.stviateurbagel.com/main/ Both are open 24 h IIRC, and they also sell lox. In fact you can get bagels and lox at most restaurants here - mmmm!

There used to be a great bookstore in Westmount taht only did Canadian books but it closed a few years back. The main stores here are CHapters or Indigo (owned by the same company) and there is also Nicholas Hoare in the basement of Ogilvy's and on Greene Ave. in Westmount.

Oh, you mentioned Ikea - Montreal has two: St. Laurent---very small and horrific for parking and Boucherville---much larger and newer and in one of those new "planned community" type of malls.

Canadian Tire is truly unique to Canada I think. Michiganders might compare it to Meijer's, especially me since I grew up near the original one that did lots of auto and hardware stuff, but really there is no comparison to an American store.

An interesting note about alcohol, because this was a major shocker for me when I moved. In the province of Ontario you must buy your beer at The Beer Store (yes, that's the title) and your liquor and wine at the LCBO. In Quebec you can buy beer and cheapo wine at the grocery store, but you have to get hard liquor and nicer wine at the SAQ. You can also buy beer and wine at the dep (depanneur - no there isn't a translation, it means "convenience store")

And yes, The Beer Store, SAQ and LCBO all have ridiculously short hours that don't extend into the time of night or weekend when people might actually be drinking. I think there's a bit on The Beer Store in some of the SCTV stuff. In Quebec ,also, there are many restaurants w/o a liquor licence but you are allowed to bring your own wine or beer to drink there and they'll chill it for you.

I have to go because I have a non-sleeping baby at the moment wreaking havoc, but I'll try to update this later tonight.

ETA: tim's has made inroads into Northern New York and the upper midwest if your DH needs a Tim's fix Twoboos! But don't try to order a double double, they don't know what it is
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we値l change the world." ~Jack Layton

How could I forget Lee Valley??? Your DH will love it, BTW. So will your kids, they have super cute gardening tools for kids. Great kitchen/cooking gadgets.

Another store is The Running Room. It is a Canadian chain of running/sports stores.

You really must get (1) one of the MEC bags I posted and (2) something from Roots. We won't let you go back to the US without them. The border guards ask.
    Melissa

Lee Valley is Canadian? I didn't know that!

Whenever we go to Montreal, I love to visit the Jean-Talon market. Fresh produce and flowers, cheeses and breads, plus lots of yummy foods to lunch on. (I can't ever skip the crepes, or the tarte au sucre, when I'm there.) There's an amazing and tiny chocolate shop, Les Chocolates de Chloe, that is worth a visit; possibly the best chocolates I've ever had outside Europe. I also stock up at St Viateur Bagel every time I visit Montreal. For shopping, there are nice boutique-y places in Old Montreal, and also on the main street that runs intersects the street that Chocolates de Chloe is on (Rue St Denis, maybe? I can't remember right now!). Ogilvy is an experience! There's a little cafe downstairs (I don't remember seeing the Nicholas Hoare boutique there when we visited in May) that's nice for a quick treat. The last time we were in Mtl, we stayed at the Loews Hotel which was right across the street from Ogilvy, and incredibly kid-friendly - they even had a gift and milk and cookies waiting for our son when we checked in!

In Toronto, Little Italy is along College St, west of Bathurst. Lots of great food shops. I really liked Manic Coffee and Viva Tastings, both on College a half block east of Bathurst, opposite sides of College. Kensington Market and Spadina Avenue are both in that area, too. Just south is Queen W - all sorts of things there! I *love* Dufflet Pastries; I had a 12-hour layover in Toronto in November, and that was my must-go destination There are a couple of nice baby/kid boutiques along there: KolKid and Ella and Eliot in particular. I also love Type Books, which is just across Queen W from Trinity Bellwood Park (and hosts Story Time with Mrs Hanna - a retired kindergarten teacher - once a week; my son and I loved going there!). St Lawrence Market is another great place for foodies, as is Pusateri's. There's a small Pusateri's in Yorkville (also a good spot for high-end shopping, and Whole Foods is in Hazelton Lanes), and the big location is in north Toronto. Lots of shopping on Bloor St, too.

{Sigh. Now I'm really missing Toronto. Again.}

For kids clothing, Please Mum is a Canadian chain and is pretty widespread now.

I can't remember where you said you'll be visiting, I hope that'll help!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
    Ogilvy is an experience! There's a little cafe downstairs (I don't remember seeing the Nicholas Hoare boutique there when we visited in May) that's nice for a quick treat.
    The Nicholas Hoare section of the store is directly across from the cafe that you mentioned, in the basement, on the other side of the stairs. They have birds in a cage. It's nowhere near as big as the main one on Greene. L'Essence du Papier also in the basement of Ogilvy's (as well as on St.-Denis and under Place-Ville-Maria) is really great if you're into paper products.
    DS, Summer '07

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast