Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MamaBear View Post
    I can't remember where you said you'll be visiting, I hope that'll help!
    I am not going to "quote" everything b/c the post will be insanely long! All I can say is THANK YOU!!! I haven't been to Toronto in YEARs, and it was pre-kids, so it was a world away. I will DEFINITELY check out your suggestions!! Ohhh...how I love Toronto! Now you have me missing it, too!
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum View Post
    Trust me, even though Vermont does some nice syrup, you've really got to try the Quebec stuff. And you should also try tire, I'd only ever had maple sugar candy, but DH lives for that stuff.
    Sooo good to know that I can bring back as much as I want as DH is a syrup freak! Love MS candy.

As for chocolate, I am not the best to guide you here, but I do know that the great European chocolates are widely available here. You can get Ritter, Lindt, Cadbury, and Droste at the drugstore. Leonidas and Daskalides, which are Belgian, both have several boutiques here as well.
    I can actually get a lot of the European chocolate in the US. The thing that I actually have a difficult time finding, when I am away from Dean & Deluca, is European black licorice. Is it popular up there? All I can find down here is Twizzlers (Yuck...don't get me started) and Aussie Kookaburra, which is not the same as European, either. UGH!

The Bay and the Hudson's Bay Company are the same thing. The Bay has since been bought out by an American company (can't remember which one) It was a sad day for Canadian history. Eaton's went under quite a few years ago. It was another Canadian institution. Have you heard of "The Hockey Sweater"..."Cher Monsieur Eaton"... it's classic Canadiana. They were bought out by Sears in Ontario and several stores were reopened in the Toronto area. I don't know if they're still open or not. The Quebec department store Les Ailes de la Mode bought the downtown building here, faltered in a big way, and the store sells very little; it's not worth your time. They have a few other branches in suburban malls (Bruno, Laval) that are quite nice though.
    Thank you for the boutique tour of Montreal! I hear you about Eaton's. DH and went to Eaton Centre a few years back and was shocked to see that the store closed, as it was ALWAYS busy and obviously a HUGE anchor store. I was even more shocked to find a SEARS there the next time that we went and it was UNLIKE any Sears that I've VER seen in my life!! I've never seen a neat, unique, boutique Sears...that is soooooo un-Sears!!! Only in Toronto. I was quite sad...I really like Eaton's.
    Mom to:
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Quote Originally Posted by MontrealMum View Post
    Oh, I also wanted to add that Ogilvy's has their annual Christmas window with moving bears, or is it bunnies this year? It's very old Europe in style, I think the animals are Steif. They rotate between two different scenes. It might or might not still be up when you come. DH took DS to see it in the Beco and he loved it.
    Definitely something to check out...love NYC windows so I am assuming this wold be similiar. Would the wondow displays stay through Carnival, or is that too late?
    Mom to:
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Quote Originally Posted by mikeys_mom View Post
    My mother is always bringing me clothes for DD from Blu. It is a Quebec designer with really cute and different styles. She goes to the Rockland Shopping Center location, but I think they might have a store on St Denis as well. Every time DD wears one of the outfits people comment how cute and different they are.
    Thank you! Will definiltey look into that! Do you know their size range is?
    Mom to:
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

I just googled since I don't get to that end of downtown often, and it says that the display was only until Jan 6 Here's a site on Quebec tourism though: http://www.bonjourquebec.com/qc-en/05nov_ogilvy0.html

My mom's family is Dutch and I hear you about the black licorice. I get mine back home in MI, or you can get it at import stores. Here in Montreal there is a Dutch coffee shop out in Pointe-Claire but I don't know for sure if they have it. There's also a German deli, l'Atlantique up in the Cote-des-Neiges neighborhood (on Queen Mary). I do know that there's a Dutch store in Ottawa (again, can't remember the name) that my German BIL shops at. Here, this must be it: http://www.ottawaxpress.ca/food/food...IDArticle=8895

About the Coop cycling jacket...it's not lined, I wear several layers of long underwear and sometimes a light fleece under it while skiing. Just didn't want your DH to think it was warm and freeze!

I love shopping, obviously, and eating!, which is why I know these sorts of things off the top of my head. Too bad I can't clear out some of that space for more useful information
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

mikeys_mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SASM View Post
    Thank you! Will definiltey look into that! Do you know their size range is?
    I think it starts at size 12 months, and runs into bigger girl sizes. I'm not sure how big, but a friend of mine has a 6 year old DD (average size) and she is still wearing clothes from there. I find the sizing runs a bit on the small size, so I usually have my mother buy one size bigger, especially in the dresses/jumpers. For pants, it depends on the cut.
    DS - 10
    DD - 8
    Twin Girls - 6

nov04 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    Clerks here really don't give a darn.
    I'm really hurt by this. I work at one of the HBC stores (not saying exactly where for my own privacy) p/t evenings and weekends so I'm home during the day with the girls. I work my butt off helping customers and so do at least half of my coworkers. I get glowing emails from my customers even!
    Jos
    dd1 10/2004 prenatal stroke survivor w/ speech delay and dysarthria
    dd2 02/2007 asthma

EllasMum is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nov04 View Post
    I'm really hurt by this. I work at one of the HBC stores (not saying exactly where for my own privacy) p/t evenings and weekends so I'm home during the day with the girls. I work my butt off helping customers and so do at least half of my coworkers. I get glowing emails from my customers even!
    I've never had any problem with the staff at HBC stores. In my experience, the customer service 'problem' has been worse at restaurants. Around here, until recently anyway, employers were *crying* for staff, so as a result, would hire anyone, with or without experience! Made for some fun times for the customers/patrons. To be fair to the staff, it wasn't their fault they were inadequately trained and sent out to 'sink or swim'. I'm sure they were just as frustrated as the customers! I have noted that things seem to be settling down, now. Maybe because jobs are getting a bit more scarce.
    ~~~
    Susan
    DD 08-2005
    Impatiently awaiting adoption match!
    Cure FOP - www.ifopa.org
    ~~~

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

[

The Bay and the Hudson's Bay Company are the same thing. The Bay has since been bought out by an American company (can't remember which one) It was a sad day for Canadian history. Eaton's went under quite a few years ago. It was another Canadian institution. Have you heard of "The Hockey Sweater"..."Cher Monsieur Eaton"... it's classic Canadiana. They were bought out by Sears in Ontario and several stores were reopened in the Toronto area. I don't know if they're still open or not. The Quebec department store Les Ailes de la Mode bought the downtown building here, faltered in a big way, and the store sells very little; it's not worth your time. They have a few other branches in suburban malls (Bruno, Laval) that are quite nice though.[/QUOTE]

AH, the Hockey Sweater Book, DS age 2 1/2 is obsessed with it, he got it for Christmas and along with Z is for Zamboni and his Chicago Cubs book we have a daily dose of sports before nap and bedtime...I love in the story how the mum writes a letter to Mr. Eaton (I worked at Eaton's through high school and university)...a great story, but I'm afraid DS thinks maybe going to the church is like spending time in the penalty box!

Do they have any LUSH stores in Mtl?? I love going to the Ottawa store and stocking up, although there is one up in Chicago at Macy's on Michigan Ave now too.

I also love to pick up Canadian treats like Mackintosh toffee and Caramilk bars, and DH just ran out of his Timmy's coffee, oh oh!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3