Default Green, mucousy poop

My 4 month old baby has had green, mucousy poop for the last week or so now. She seems to blow out of her diaper almost every day. She is breastfed and has always been a "powerful" pooper, but since her poop has become so runny, it almost always seems to run out the back of her diaper. Anyone else every had this happen? I have heard/read it could be teething or an allergy. I plan on calling my ped tomorrow but was just wondering if any other moms had any experience with this. Thanks!

My son had that for a while - for us it turned out to be oversupply issues. Did you do a search on Kellymom.com? Good info on that site.

For the blowout - could be time to go up a size in the diaper.

Is DC upset? Tummy upset? etc? Or just happy & has the green mucousy poo? Gaining well?

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

There was another thread about that recently: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...n+mucousy+poop
    http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...n+mucousy+poop

There were two. Some moms were saying it may be due to too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. But there were other explanations too.

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

We did go up a diaper size, even though she wasn't at the weight for them yet. However, the blow-outs seem to mostly happen because of a combination of the poop being so runny and her blowing with such force. (She makes her daddy proud!) When she poops, it just seems to run right up the back. She is mostly pleasant, though she is a suspected reflux baby and has been a bit high maintenance since she was a couple weeks old. We think she has started teething, though she hasn't actually cut any teeth yet. She has become a drool queen, everything goes in the mouth, she randomly has discomfort which seems to be relieved by teething remedies, etc. In any case, I have about had my fill of washing poop out of clothes...

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. O View Post
    We did go up a diaper size, even though she wasn't at the weight for them yet. However, the blow-outs seem to mostly happen because of a combination of the poop being so runny and her blowing with such force. (She makes her daddy proud!) When she poops, it just seems to run right up the back. She is mostly pleasant, though she is a suspected reflux baby and has been a bit high maintenance since she was a couple weeks old. We think she has started teething, though she hasn't actually cut any teeth yet. She has become a drool queen, everything goes in the mouth, she randomly has discomfort which seems to be relieved by teething remedies, etc. In any case, I have about had my fill of washing poop out of clothes...
    It's been my experience and I've heard from other moms too that the weight limits on diapers are pretty meaningless. I've been going by fit - and typically when DS started to blow out, that's when we needed to go up a size. Also, some of the symptoms of reflux & oversupply overlap - so make sure you look into oversupply. We thought DS had reflux, but it was actually oversupply & by treating the oversupply (by block feeding - one side for 3 hours, then switch) we resolved his issues & avoided reflux medicine.

I have had great help from my local La Leche League & recommend contacting yours if you have any questions or would like some support!

Copious, green, mucousy poops can also mean an intestinal problem (like a virus). If your DC is acting off, you may want to check with your ped.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew