Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I used a contoured changing pad on top of a dresser for all of my girls. I changed them on it until they were each potty trained--it's very sturdy. I kept all the supplies in the drawers so I never had to step away and I never had one fall off of it. I used a long dresser and that way I had room on top of the dresser for the baby wipes.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We used a contoured changing pad on top of a dresser for all 3 DC. With DD2, we also use the raised changing table on our pack and play downstairs, which has room for diapers/wipes, is a great height and is contoured. I concur with other posters that you should not leave baby unattended regardless of whether you have a changing table. Wiggly babies are undeterred by a small lip or flimsy strap.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I just used a contoured changing pad on an Ikea dresser as well and it worked out great. Now I am using that dresser for craft supplies and I think this time I will take it one step further and just use the changing pad on the floor instead of using any kind of dresser The countour pads are very nice. I got mine at Target for only about $20.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't have a changing table. Instead, I use a changing pad and put it on the ground. Changing a diaper high up just gave me anxiety..JUST in case she fell or I did something wrong, etc. Now, my babe is wiggly and crawls around while I'm trying to change her diaper so I'm glad we've always done it on the ground. I kind of have to chase her around but I prefer that to worrying about it on a changing table.

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

Since you can never leave a baby unattended, I guess you don't need a changing table and can just use a dresser or countertop or any other sturdy surface (of course the best option is on the floor especially as they get older). We put a contoured pad on the bathroom countertop with the wipes container right next to it and diapers in the drawer below. In the living room, we change him in the PNP since it is still in the basinette setting. Recently I have started just changing him on the floor since he is wriggling a lot, but MIL cannot sit on the floor (due to arthritis) so she still uses the pad and basinette.

Thanks for all the replies. I was kind of figuring the same thing, but it is always nice to hear from experts.

I'm a little bummed, however, to hear how great the floor works for many of you. That is the one option that will not work. I have a very good dog who would want to help...although that would eliminate the need for wipes

I don't think you need a changing table. A dresser and pad should work just fine. I wouldn't consider those little "lips" much of a deterrent to falling off. Many changing tables these days aren't much more than a dresser.

Mommy_Mea is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I am planning on using an IKEA dresser with the contoured pad, secured with industrial strength velcro. From what I can tell, the tray on most changing tables is to hold the pad, not that baby. If the baby is too wiggly, to the floor he/she will go for changing!! :-) HTH!
    Last edited by Mommy_Mea; 01-21-2009 at 10:13 AM.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We have a contour pad on top of a dresser. I put a nonslip mat under & it's also bolted to the back of the dresser & it doesn't move. DD is very wiggly at this age & she'll flip over but it's not hard to keep her on (she's NEVER unattended). Lately we've been doing standing-up changes (DH still prefers the changing table).
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We were planning to set up a changing table but it took up too much dang precious floor real estate in our room (no nursery- baby will be in with us until he moves into to share with his big brother). So I set up a pad on top of our Ikea Hemmes low and long dresser. It works just fine. Glue some non-slip rubbery padding on the bottom of the pad if that helps you. As for forgetting something just once---set up everything in reach in great quantities and once baby is mobile, you just plain don't walk away even for a split second. Forget something? Baby comes with you. Like Angela, I use the drawers immediately below for all the baby supplies and like that it is long. We have baby scale (baby is gaining somewhat slowly), then wipes and various accesories and then changing pad. Plenty of room. That said, my older son launched off his changing table once...no lasting damage, no emergency room visit.

I know some people go without a dedicated changing spot but I like having everything in one spot and being able to stand up during changes, vs being hunched over on the bed or floor. Also, I prefer that a diaperless induced pee (I swear 1/2 the time Finn pees is when I take off his diaper) not mandate changing the bed sheets. Who has time for extra laundry with a newborn?
    Last edited by kijip; 01-20-2009 at 11:16 PM.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast