Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't typically make ahead and freeze (I just don't have the freezer space), but this is one thing I do tend to freeze half of. Don't let the length of the recipe scare you off- it's not that bad to make, and it's delicious!

Beef Stew
    Recipe Summary
    Difficulty: Medium
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 3 hours
    Yield: about 4 to 6 main course servi

Vegetable oil, for searing
    2 1/2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 2-inch cubes (I prefer leaner cuts like sirloin roast)
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons unsalted butter
    2 medium onions, cut into 6ths
    5 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour, or to cover
    10 cups cold water, or chicken or beef broth, homemade or low-sodium canned (I use about 3/4 beef broth, 1/4 water)
    6 sprigs parsley
    6 sprigs fresh thyme
    2 bay leaves
    1 1/4 pounds medium red potatoes, quartered
    4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
    2 celery stalks, cut into 2-inch pieces
    7 canned whole, peeled tomatoes, lightly crushed (I use about 3 large fresh tomatoes instead- cut into large wedges, scoop out most of the seeds)
    2 to 3 teaspoons red wine vinegar, or to taste

Heat a large Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid over medium-high heat. Pour in enough oil to fill the pan about 1/4-inch deep. Season the beef generously with salt and pepper, and add to the pan. Saute half the meat, uncovered, stirring only occasionally, until well-browned, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the beef to a plate. Repeat with the remaining beef. Discard the oil and wipe out the pan.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. (I skip this step b/c I do it on the stove top)

Return the pot to the stove and melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, about 1 minute more. Add the reserved beef and scatter the flour over the vegetable and beef mixture (enough to lightly coat) and cook stirring until lightly toasted. Add the water or broth, and bring to a simmer. Tie the parsley, thyme, and bay leaves together with a piece of kitchen twine and add the bundle to the pot. Season with 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste. Cover and transfer to the oven. Cook the meat until just tender, about 1 1/2 hours. (This can also be done on the stove at a low simmer.)
    Remove pot from the oven. Skim the fat from the cooking liquid with a spoon or ladle. Add the potatoes, carrots, celery, and the tomatoes, and bring to a simmer on top of the stove. Cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the liquid thickens and the vegetables are tender, about 1 hour. Remove and discard the herb bundle. Stir in the vinegar and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Divide among bowls and serve immediately.

ETA: I also freeze lasagna. I don't really have a recipe, but I can talk you through it if anyone is interested.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Jo View Post
    lmao...I think f.a.g. in the f.a.g.ioli is blocked

Yes, it is f.a.g.ioli.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Default Salmon Baked in Foil

Salmon Baked in Foil

This one is easy:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/g...ipe/index.html

I buy a whole skinless fillet at Sam's and cut it up. Make up the packets and freeze on a cookie sheet or tray. Once they are solid, transfer to a plastic freezer bag. I usually take them out in the morning and put in the fridge, then bake. If you are running late and can't thaw them all the way they do well from mostly frozen by increasing the baking time.
    Last edited by o_mom; 01-27-2009 at 03:25 PM.

dotgirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm a huge fan of "freezer meals" - warning, this is a long post!

We have a freezer meal every Monday night (I hate dealing with food on Mondays after work). The first Sunday of every month, I pick one of our freezer meals, and make a triple batch. One goes in the fridge for Monday and the other two go in the freezer. The following Mondays I rotate through the other stuff, so we don't have the same things in the same month.

In theory, you could easily do freezer meals more days of the week, but once a week is perfect for us.

In general, I've had the best luck with things that must be cooked and/or assembled and then baked - stuff like enchiladas, lasagna, etc. I cook and assemble it, let it cool completely (this is very important!), cover it with saran and then aluminum foil. I write the instructions on the foil, and put it in the freezer. I tend to use those sturdy aluminum pans - they wash up nicely, and that way I don't have all my casserole dishes in the freezer.

My favourites are:
    Chicken or Turkey Enchiladas - I do three batches at once - one goes in the fridge to eat the next day, the other two get frozen.

Crab Enchiladas - my family loves these, but they take a bit longer than the chicken ones (and crab is a bit more expensive), so I don't do them as often, but it's very tasty.

Lasagna - I used the "no boil" noodles - I buy them on sale and stock up. I usually do each lasagna half meat & cheese and half cheese only, as DH and DS like meat in their lasagna and DD and I do not.

Macaroni & Cheese - we do a baked one of these with ham in a bechamel sauce (we just had one last night), and it's always a big hit.

Those are the ones I currently have in rotation, but I'm hoping this thread will give me some good and inspiring ideas.
    - Penny
    DD: Britt (03/22/93)
    DS: Riley (11/04/03)

Default Chicken and Wild Rice Soup

Chicken and Wild Rice Soup (full version - cheat version below)

4 cups water
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 c uncooked wild rice
    3 Tbsp chopped green onions
    1/4 c shredded carrots
    3 Tbsp chopped pecans
    6 Tbsp butter/marg
    1/3 c all-purpose flour
    2 cans chicken broth
    1/2 c diced cooked chicken/turkey/ham - can add more
    1/4 tsp pepper
    1 cup milk

Bring water and salt to boil, add rice, cover and simmer 55 min or until tender. Remove from heat, let stand 10 min, drain and set aside.

In soup pot, saute onion, carrots and pecans in butter for 1-2 min. Stir in flour until blended. gradually add broth, bring to a boil, cook and stir 2 min until thick. Reduce heat, add meat, pepper and cooked rice. ** for freezing stop here and see below ** Cover and simmer 5 min until carrots are tender. Reduce heat to very low. Add milk, heat through but do not boil.

Cheat version:

Instead of wild rice, make a box of Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice Mix as directed on the package.

For freezing:

Remove portion to freeze before adding milk. When ready to use, bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 5 min. Reduce heat to very low, add milk and heat through but do not boil.

Default Another resource

I found this website awhile back and they seem to have some good recipes and also recommendations for other freezer websites and cookbooks.

http://freezersupperswappers.wordpress.com/

Subbing...lots of good ideas here!
    Gaye
    Single mama to Tyler (5/06), RN, triathlete.

I like to make extra batches of taco meat and freeze. Makes taco night easier.
    Lisa
    Emma 11/02
    Adam 2/07
    Their hands may be small but their feelings are just as big as ours.

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by tylersmama View Post
    Subbing...lots of good ideas here!

There sure are! I'm always afraid to freeze things b/c I think the quality won't be that great, but this thread is inspiring me.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Ok, that's pretty crazy. I fixed it. You should now be able to type fagioli to your heart's content. Or leafage. Or wharfage. I trust you all not to abuse your newfound powers.
    Missy
    Mom to DD1 '03 and DD2 '05

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast