ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Old threads coming back up ?

I've noticed lately that a lot of older threads are coming up. I accidentally replied back to one, not noticing the age of the original, and got a reply back that it was brought back up by a poser--someone just soliciting for a company.

I remember a post about more of those coming around but am just starting to notice it. Is that why the older threads are coming up? Or, is it just coincidence that people are just searching through and through particular boards? It's just very confusing to me..

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

veronica is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I stumbled on one as well but it was a newbie answering a thread from 2005 about a crib.....didn't think much of it at the time...
    DD 12/05
    DS 07/07
    Twin DS's 5.18.2011

missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

It happens. Sometimes it's innocent, sometimes not. If it's someone promoting a company, we try to catch it before anyone else replies. But sometimes bringing up an older thread can provide good updated reviews and information. I don't think it's any more frequent than usual.
    Missy
    Mom to DD1 '03 and DD2 '05

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I do think it is more frequent that usual. I noticed almost every day this last week at least one old thread being bumped up by a new user. It's happened frequently in the feeding section for some reason.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

I'm not sure what to tell you. New users tend to bump old threads because:
    a. they don't know any better, in which case we should cut them some slack. If we notice a bumped thread is causing confusion, we lock it and request that a new thread be started. Sometimes useful info can come from bumping an old thread anyway.
    -or-
    b. they're selling something. Of course we delete these as soon as we see them, but not always before someone else has responded, causing the thread to come to life again.

Some boards disallow responding to threads older than xxx days old. I'd hate to see that happen here, as sometimes updating an old thread can be really useful or interesting. I guess I'm just kind of .
    Missy

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I know that sometimes people will bump up old threads inadvertantly, etc. It has just been happening so frequently of late, that I have also been curious if there may be more behind it than meets the eye.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

npace19147 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think there was an incident a while back where a newbie was bringing up old threads and posting in them to up their post count so they could join an offshoot board that required a certain number of posts.

No idea if that's a factor here, but thought it was worth a mention.
    Nancy, mom to

DD1 5/04 and DD2 3/07

mariza is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

wierd...why wouldn't they just respond to current posts to do that?

Because we aim to please , users will now have to click through a warning before replying to an old thread. I can't guarantee it will prevent unintentional bumping, but it might help.
    Last edited by missym; 02-02-2009 at 12:33 PM.
    Missy