Default Big, fat itchy swollen feet!

So here in week 37, my feet are huge and nasty. I find that at the end of the day when they reach their most amazing level of swollen, they get itchy too. (I think the skin can't take it anymore!).

Any suggestions? I really am trying not to itch them raw. Would soaking in somthing help? Bakings soda and water? Warm? Cold? Anything else?

Any ideas would be great. Otherwise, I'll just start trying random stuff and report back.

Geez, they are just not pretty!

wifecat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't know how bad your itching is, but itching on the bottom of your feet (with no rash and it's often much worse at night) can be a sign of cholestasis of pregnancy. I would call your doctor right away as some women develop this late in pregnancy, and it can have very severe consequences (stillbirth). I was diagnosed in the second trimester and we've been keeping tabs on my liver function (bile acids build up and cause you to itch - no cream or antihistamine will help) and I've gotten a lot of information from itchymoms.com and the yahoo group associated with that site.

I'm not trying to frighten you, and maybe you just happen to have itchy soles, but it's worth talking to your doctor. Good luck!

I just saw the doctor today, and she doesnt feel there is need to be concerned. The itch is more on top of my feet and in between my toes. And it really depends on how swollen my feet are. It's not bad if I can keep them up. But when they get really big, they get itchy.

I am soo ready to have this kid. This preggo lady don't glow!

I feel for you! I had preeclampsia w/my first and my feet swelled so much that my toes touched all.the.time. They looked like sausages--the creases were gone.

The only thing that helped was lots of water. Seriously, LOTS. And to keep them elevated. I would lay in the recliner and lean WAAAY back so my feet were good and high.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

One of DH's main complaints about when I'm pg is that I require nightly foot lotion Have you tried that? Just a few more weeks...Hang in there!

Yup, swollen feet are miserable. I was appalled that my feet got more swollen after I had DD. At one point I was kneeling and rested back on my feet and they felt like they were about to explode. Remember to keep your feet up as much as possible, not just when they are swollen. The swelling gets worse at the end of the day because all the liquid is pooling there all day. If you have a nice bathtub it might be worth taking a warm bath with your feet up a bit. I'd think the warmth would help your circulation. Plus, you may not be allowed to take baths for a while once you deliver.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

ewpmsw is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Aveeno has a great night time lotion that is supposed to help with itching. It was the only thing that helped when I was pregnant, especially toward the end of the pregnancy. I can't recall the exact name of the product, but it has a maroon cap. When I was a week past my due date and miserable with swollen legs and feet, someone suggested putting cabbage leaves on them. I elevated my legs and my very sweet husband put fresh cabbage leaves from my toes up to my kneecaps. Whether it was the cold cabbage leaves or elevation that helped, we'll never know. If I ever get that miserable the next time I'm expecting, I'd do it again. It's amazing what you'll do to stop the itching and hold on to your sanity!

I hope you find something for relief soon. Best of luck and congratulations!