Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ergo vs Ergo Sport?

So I registered for the Ergo baby carrier but just noticed there is also an "Ergo Sport" version (in black with white threading). The Ergo Sport version looks newer and is supposed to have longer adjustable shoulder and waist straps and made with more "breathable" fabric. I've tried to search this board as well as via google to see comparisons/reviews but haven't found much.

So I'm puzzled as to why this "newer" sports version is being sold cheaper at around $95 while the original version continues to sell at around $105.... am I missing something? How come the sports version is cheaper? Anyone care to comment if they've bought or tried both versions as to which one is better?

Default Me too!

I was just getting ready to post the exact same question! But I would also like to know if you can use the attatchable backpack & front pack on the Ergo sport too!

Default Reply from ErgoBaby customer support

This was the reply I got from contacting ERGObaby customer support with my original question:

"Thank you for contacting ERGObaby. The ERGObaby Sport is made of a more
    "breathable" fabric with longer shoulder straps and a larger waist belt. It
    is newer than most of our other carriers. It is cheaper because it cost
    less to manufacture.

Hope this helps. Thank you for your interest in ERGObaby."

Interesting. I don't see why most people wouldn't prefer this newer Sports version given the info above unless you prefer certain colors/materials since this Sports one only comes in black. What do you gals/guys think?

Mommy_Mea is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Ergo Sport Material

My guess is cheaper because it is made of 35 percent cotton/65 percent polyester, and not 100 percent cotton (cotton being pricier than polyester). They probably know that some parents want the all cotton, and are willing to pay a premium for that and give up some breathability.

Personally, I am leaning towards the sport, since I am expecting a summer baby!
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Default ergo sport

I am leaning more towards the sport as well, especially because my DH will help out with carrying the little one on his back once in a while... the sport looks a little more 'manly', plus, we'll be having a summer baby as well.

Default Ergo Sport better for taller people

Thanks for your comments. Just wanted to add that I sent a 2nd email to Ergo customer support asking them if the straps were adjustable and told them that I am 5'7" and my husband is 6'1" and that we live in Los Angeles and so it gets fairly warm.

"The straps are adjustable, but the ERGObaby Sport would fit your husband
    better."

So we're going to go for the Ergo Sport. Thought this info might help those ladies with husbands over 6 feet who are trying to decide between Ergo Original and Ergo Sport.

Radosti is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

So, I used the sun hood ALL THE TIME to nurse DS2 last summer on my two Ergos. I have a blue one with seersucker lining for home and a maroon one in the car for when we're out. The sport seems to be missing the hood. That would be a deal breaker for me as it was the easiest, most discreet way to NIP I've ever seen.
    DS1 12/05
    DS2 06/08
    DD 11/09

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

An Ergo without the hood would be a deal-breaker for our family. 1/2 the time we use it is when we're going somewhere for a long outing and someone needs to nap. The hood REALLY does a good job of keeping the sleeping kid's head from looking like it is going to fall off.

And a small baby really needs the sun protection, IME. For us, it just wouldn't work out to have the sport.

Smile it DOES have a sleeping hood!

Hi Everyone!

I just got the Sport Ergo from my registry (arrived in the mail today!) and we really like it! For those who are concerned about the lack of a hood being a dealbreaker....

The Sport Ergo actually DOES have a hood. It's stored in the Sport Ergo's pocket -- it's nice, with four adjustable heights, and is detachable!

http://www.ergobabycarriers.com/babycarriers/item/HOOD/

Yeah, I know that the picture of the Sport Ergo in action doesn't show the hood because it's hidden in the pocket. So that was the first thing I checked when mine arrived. But the description of the item actually talks about the hood.

http://www.ergobabycarriers.com/baby...rs/item/BC6SP/

Hope that helps!

IMO, the ERGO sport feels less substantial than the ERGO. Comfort-wise I can't tell any difference, but I can see why it is slightly cheaper by the look and feel of it. It is somehow smaller. Also, the seat for baby is not darted. This gives the seat of the Sport a less smooth and fitted look than the Sport, although as far as I can tell, there isn't much different in comfort for baby.

I've got a chart listing all the differences here: http://www.carrymeaway.com/pages/ERGOComparison.html

Hope this helps!
    Laurel
    Owner, Carry Me Away
    Mama to Jack, 5 and Maddy, 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast