Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Which diaper bag for twins?

Hi everyone!

I'm 26 weeks pregnant with twins, and I'm searching for a well organized, useful bag. I'm very impressed with the Ju Ju Be bags. <www.ju-ju-be.com/products.html> I'm trying to decide between the Premiere bags--the BeRightBack, BePrepared, and BeSpicy. Because I can carry it on my back, the backpack model, "BeRightBack", seems very practical. But is it big enough? The BePrepared seems very roomy, maybe that would be a better bet? And then the BeSpicy is just so darn cute, especially since it looks like a regular tote. But again, I don't know if it would be roomy enough or if it would be cumbersome and awkward.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!
    ~Carole

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My twins aren't here yet, but I've done the diaper bag thing for years. Backpack diaper bags are a pain because they are hard to access while on your back. I'd go with something that fits well in your stroller basket (or hanging off the handles) because, really, I bet that it will be a long time before you are out with both babies and no stroller (or shopping cart). I also like something that closes securely with a zipper - no open top totes or loose flaps - so that things don't fall out when (since it is inevitable) the bag falls over or lands in your car upside down.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Default thanks for your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Momof3Labs View Post
    My twins aren't here yet, but I've done the diaper bag thing for years. Backpack diaper bags are a pain because they are hard to access while on your back. I'd go with something that fits well in your stroller basket (or hanging off the handles) because, really, I bet that it will be a long time before you are out with both babies and no stroller (or shopping cart). I also like something that closes securely with a zipper - no open top totes or loose flaps - so that things don't fall out when (since it is inevitable) the bag falls over or lands in your car upside down.
    Ah! I was wondering if the diaper bag being on my back would make it inaccessible. Thank you for your seasoned input! Is there a diaper bag model and/or brand that you would recommend? Thanks!
    ~Carole

My favorite diaper bags were only good for one in diapers at a time, and no bottles (both boys were exclusively bf'd), so they are probably too small for twins, especially twins on bottles.
    Single mom to

DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Just wanted to chime in my thoughts on this. I have tried numerous diaper bags and have only liked the backpacks. There's a couple of reasons for this. When I have a shoulder bag on and bend over to attend to a child, it always swings forward and hits them! I've found that very annoying. Also, when the diaper bag is on my back, it's out of the way. I have 2 free hands for holding hands, I can unfold my stroller or fold it up, really just about anything. When I need to get something out of it, I just swing it off one shoulder and reach around. It's really not a problem for me. In fact, I 've been able to wear it on my back while slinging an infant in front.

I have had the Petunia Picklebottom Boxy backpack and LOVED. It is roomy, comfortable, has plenty of pockets and the patterns are darling. However, the fabric is delicate and is only dry cleanable. So, I tried the Jujube Packabe which when I was looking was the largest Jujube backpack they created and honestly, it is a workhorse. I have that thing filled to the top all the time and it is heavy. But it is still in fantastic shape after nearly 2 years with twins and a toddler's stuff to carry around. It can be worn as a backpack or a shoulder bag. The zippers are sturdy and it has a lot of organization. The magnet closures on the front pockets are VERY strong too. The outside fabric is wipeable-yay! I honestly have no complaints about it.

Until recently, I carried 2 sizes of diapers, wipes, a single change of clothes for the twins, a change of clothes that could fit either of my older boys, bottles, juice boxes and a little snack for the boys, my wallet, a little makeup bag for me, my cell phone and some miscellaneous things like little toys and crayons for the boys. It all fit in there.

hth and good luck with your pregnancy!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I bought the columbia backpack diaper bag from babies r us and I have twins. I'm really happy with the purchase. For the first several months, you don't have the energy to make more than short trips anyway, and this bag was perfect for carrying several diapers, changing pad, a change of clothes, several burp clothes and a couple blankets, a couple of bottles, and pacifiers. It also has loops for attaching to the handlbar of a stroller. It's the only thing I've used since the twins were born 5 months ago - and with twins you need both hands free so the backpack was great. Plus, it was cheap. I don't think you need anything more unless you're going to be making long trips out. I don't think I'll need a bigger bag until the babies are much older.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Just wanted to chime in my thoughts on this. I have tried numerous diaper bags and have only liked the backpacks. There's a couple of reasons for this. When I have a shoulder bag on and bend over to attend to a child, it always swings forward and hits them! I've found that very annoying. Also, when the diaper bag is on my back, it's out of the way. I have 2 free hands for holding hands, I can unfold my stroller or fold it up, really just about anything. When I need to get something out of it, I just swing it off one shoulder and reach around. It's really not a problem for me. In fact, I 've been able to wear it on my back while slinging an infant in front.
    And these are the reasons that I prefer a messenger bag style diaper bag (when I have to carry one vs. plunking it on the stroller), plus you can access a messenger bag without removing it. I always hated tote-style diaper bags (even when I had only one child) because they would swing around when you bent down, were hard to carry with a child on a hip, tied up an arm, etc.
    Single mom to

DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

And these are the reasons that I prefer a messenger bag style diaper bag (when I have to carry one vs. plunking it on the stroller), plus you can access a messenger bag without removing it. I always hated tote-style diaper bags (even when I had only one child) because they would swing around when you bent down, were hard to carry with a child on a hip, tied up an arm, etc.
    Yeah, you know I really, really liked the messanger bags but I'm short and they overwhelmed me with all the stuff I had to put in them. By the time I filled them with everything I needed, they were uncomfortable. Plus, they'd get heavy and I couldn't take them off quickly. This was important if I had to run after toddlers quickly. But I could see how someone would prefer a messanger style bag if they didn't have as much to pack.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

dowlinal is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Just to make it more confusing, I actually prefer a tote style to a messenger or a backpack. I am short and have a large chest so messenger style bags are not comfortable for me. I dislike backpacks with babies for the same reasons Lori posted. I feel like I'm always reaching into my bag for something and like to have easy access.

I am planning on getting a BePrepared for the twins. I need enough room for all my babystuff plus I need stuff to entertain my older two. I love the quality of JuJuBe bags. I have a mini-be that I hope to someday be able to use again. One warning though, the magnets on the bags are super strong so be careful with credit/ATM cards. I sometimes stick mine in a pocket if I am in a hurry at checkout and I killed two ATM cards by popping them in the front magnetic pocket. I didn't figure it out until the second time.

My favorite diaper bags were only good for one in diapers at a time, and no bottles (both boys were exclusively bf'd), so they are probably too small for twins, especially twins on bottles.
    Thank you for the update, Momof3Labs!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast