Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Just wanted to chime in my thoughts on this. I have tried numerous diaper bags and have only liked the backpacks. There's a couple of reasons for this. When I have a shoulder bag on and bend over to attend to a child, it always swings forward and hits them! I've found that very annoying. Also, when the diaper bag is on my back, it's out of the way. I have 2 free hands for holding hands, I can unfold my stroller or fold it up, really just about anything. When I need to get something out of it, I just swing it off one shoulder and reach around. It's really not a problem for me. In fact, I 've been able to wear it on my back while slinging an infant in front.

I have had the Petunia Picklebottom Boxy backpack and LOVED. It is roomy, comfortable, has plenty of pockets and the patterns are darling. However, the fabric is delicate and is only dry cleanable. So, I tried the Jujube Packabe which when I was looking was the largest Jujube backpack they created and honestly, it is a workhorse. I have that thing filled to the top all the time and it is heavy. But it is still in fantastic shape after nearly 2 years with twins and a toddler's stuff to carry around. It can be worn as a backpack or a shoulder bag. The zippers are sturdy and it has a lot of organization. The magnet closures on the front pockets are VERY strong too. The outside fabric is wipeable-yay! I honestly have no complaints about it.

Until recently, I carried 2 sizes of diapers, wipes, a single change of clothes for the twins, a change of clothes that could fit either of my older boys, bottles, juice boxes and a little snack for the boys, my wallet, a little makeup bag for me, my cell phone and some miscellaneous things like little toys and crayons for the boys. It all fit in there.

hth and good luck with your pregnancy!
    Thank you GatorsMom! It's so helpful to read about a mother of twins experience with the JJB bags. They seem so thoughtfully organized and designed. It sounds like the quality of the bags is worth their price tag. The tip about the magnets is great! JJB offers so many great bags; I'm a bit overwhelmed. Thanks for the good luck wishes and the great feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I bought the columbia backpack diaper bag from babies r us and I have twins. I'm really happy with the purchase. For the first several months, you don't have the energy to make more than short trips anyway, and this bag was perfect for carrying several diapers, changing pad, a change of clothes, several burp clothes and a couple blankets, a couple of bottles, and pacifiers. It also has loops for attaching to the handlbar of a stroller. It's the only thing I've used since the twins were born 5 months ago - and with twins you need both hands free so the backpack was great. Plus, it was cheap. I don't think you need anything more unless you're going to be making long trips out. I don't think I'll need a bigger bag until the babies are much older.
    Great to know there is a good, inexpensive option available! I'll check it out right now online. Thanks for letting me know about that, TwoWhat?.

Default Thanks! and oops!

Quote Originally Posted by dowlinal View Post
    Just to make it more confusing, I actually prefer a tote style to a messenger or a backpack. I am short and have a large chest so messenger style bags are not comfortable for me. I dislike backpacks with babies for the same reasons Lori posted. I feel like I'm always reaching into my bag for something and like to have easy access.

I am planning on getting a BePrepared for the twins. I need enough room for all my babystuff plus I need stuff to entertain my older two. I love the quality of JuJuBe bags. I have a mini-be that I hope to someday be able to use again. One warning though, the magnets on the bags are super strong so be careful with credit/ATM cards. I sometimes stick mine in a pocket if I am in a hurry at checkout and I killed two ATM cards by popping them in the front magnetic pocket. I didn't figure it out until the second time.
    Oops--that was your helpful comment about the magnets! Sorry!
    The BePrepared seems great. Thank you so much for your helpful thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I bought the columbia backpack diaper bag from babies r us and I have twins.
    Hi again!
    BRU has a few Columbia backpack diaper bags. Do you recall if it is the "Trekster", "Baby Backpack", or the "Vertical Glide"? The Vertical Glide is in the backpack category but doesn't look like a backpack.
    <http://www.toysrus.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=2256157>
    Thanks!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My favorite so far has been the skip hop duo double. I just can't handle any bag that doesn't hang ON the stroller, easily and not get in my way!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Another consideration is the type of stroller you will use. A true backpack won't hang on a single stroller handle (but is fine on umbrella handles). Many of the nicer bags have stroller loops now, though, which will allow the bag to hang off a single handle just fine. In a pinch, I've used Stroll'r Swivl'rs when I have a bag that is incompatible with the stroller handles, but they aren't my favorite as they slide around and twist when you're trying to hang a bag on them.

For me, how the bag works with my stroller is a bigger deal than how it works on my body because I MUCH MUCH prefer to have the weight of my bag on the stroller vs. carrying it around and further messing up my already touchy back.

Just wanted to add that I have no plans for what I'll do yet for the twins. I really, really want to nurse them and thus minimize the bottle stuff I have to carry around, which means that I might be able to get away with my current favorite Lexie Barnes bag (my older boys will just need a snack or two carried by then) or one of the slightly bigger bags that I retired a while ago.
    Last edited by Momof3Labs; 02-14-2009 at 10:52 AM.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Momof3Labs View Post

For me, how the bag works with my stroller is a bigger deal than how it works on my body because I MUCH MUCH prefer to have the weight of my bag on the stroller vs. carrying it around and further messing up my already touchy back.
    I agree that if you like to put your bag on your stroller, and your are very often using your stroller, then that's something to consider. Half the time I was out and about I was either grocery shopping or making a Target run- then I didn't use the stroller at all.

btw, the Jujube backpacks have stroller loops.

So many considerations!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have the trekster

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=2973321

I love it, and my husband will carry it too Like I said, it's great for short trips-to doctor's appointments, friends' houses for a few hours, grocery store, etc for the first several months of your twins' lives. When the babies get bigger, I imagine I'll need a bigger bag (since their clothes, etc will be bigger and since I will probably be making longer trips out or travelling, or carrying additional items like toys and food). For the babies, I just attach a couple of toys on the handlebar for them to keep them entertained while I'm out.

athompson is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Another bag to consider...

Hi Carole,

I don't have twins, but I do have two in diapers and a very messy four year old. After many, many bags my favorite is the Lexie Barnes Darling. It's square shaped (vs. rectangle) and seems to hang against my body better if I'm carrying it messenger style and on the stroller. It zips up top, wipes clean and has lots of pockets outside and in. There are two side pockets for bottles/sippies and it comes with a changing pad. I got mine on mamabargains, but you can find them lots of other places. Here's one:
    http://www.letsgostrolling.com/lexie...diaperbag.html
    If you do buy from mamabargains, she sells a version that doesn't have the stroller straps. To fix this, I bought the mommy hook stroller clip so that I can clip the bag to anything (the side of the cart at Target, the stroller etc.).
    http://www.themommyhook.com/
    I can fit diapers for the two younger children, a package of 40 count wipes, snacks, sippies, other necessities and a change of clothes for all three children.
    Good luck!

BeachBum is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've been using a Flueriville Sling Tote. I'm a pretty light packer--I'll grant you that but it is working for me so far. I have 2 onesie style outfits in there, a hotsling, a hooter hider, 2 pockets full of diapers, a hard wipes case, a misc pocket. Then I have my stuff on the outside pocket.
    It has nice stroller clips too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast