Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    js13 is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Default MUST-must-must-have list

I live in New York City and am expecting my first child in early June. I have a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom condo, but space is ALWAYS a consideration. Therefore, I am of the mind to only buy what I absolutely need (rather than simply what would be *nice*) and only when I need it (being mindful, of course, that things need to be ordered, etc.) I am not a complete minimalist, however, and a reasonable amount of convenience matters--for example, I am willing to have 2 dozen onesies rather than just 5 given how quickly babies go through them and how inconvenient it would be to do even more laundry.

With that in mind, I would love to hear what you consider an absolute necessity, MUST-have list for bringing home a new baby (a boy!), as well as for the first 3 months of life. If there are other things that you REALLY love, but they aren't a MUST, please share them as "would be nice to have".

Thanks!
    JEES, NYC

MUST HAVE:
    -carseat
    -stroller (IMO, I would go crazy without a stroller)
    -some sort of sling/carrier for those 1st 3 months
    -cloth diapers to use as burp rags (12 approx)
    -bath supplies (you can bathe baby in a sink): wash, washcloth, towel - baby ones are great but in a pinch regular ones can work
    -someplace for baby to sleep/be put down (crib, co-sleeper, pak-n-play, etc)
    -bouncy seat
    -some sort of white noise/music device - I have the sleep sheep and a musical mobile
    -A GOOD diaper bag (I'm a huge JJB fan)
    -Gripe water for colic
    -onsies, rompers, sleepers - you don't need a ton of clothes and remember you will get a few for shower/baby gifts
    -blankets

NICE TO HAVE:
    -changing table
    -high chair
    -baby bath tub (I like the inflatable duck bath personally)
    -diaper wipe warmer - made nightime changes less traumatic because the wipe was warm and not ice cold!
    -Pak-n-play with changing station feature

melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

must have
    what pp said plus
    swaddle blanket (or 2, to be able to wash one) ie...miracle blanket
    bottles
    pump (if breast feeding)
    2-4 sleepsacks
    6-8 bibs
    8-10 socks
    2 mattress pads for crib
    night lite
    play gym
    baby nail clippers
    rectal thermometer
    pacifiers

extras
    baby monitor (depending how big your condo is)
    humidifier
    swing
    glider

HTH
    Promoting inclusiveness from within the special needs community
    "Just Include Everybody"
    includestephanie.com
    Stephanie's Shirt Shop on Facebook and Instagram

Mom to
    DD1 7-3-05
    DD2 7-5-07
    DS1 3-23-10

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Since you said must, must have I'll tell you that we never had a bouncy seat or a glider. Just a swing. And, some people say their babies don't like swings. Point is, you really only need one thing if space is a consideration. Ooh, just caught the last part of your post...they do fall into the "nice to have" catagory I guess.

I would say that for the first three months I used:
    diapers
    wipes
    Aquaphor
    california baby shampoo/body wash
    4 baby towels
    8 washclothes
    6 burpclothes
    6 blankets we had:
    1 waffle weave
    1 heavier blanket
    4 receiving blankets
    Swaddle (halo swaddle/sleepsack)
    6pk of onsies
    8-12 outfits
    infant tub (I bathed my second dc in the tub with me almost exclusively but I used an infant tub for my first... it took me awhile to gain confidence.)
    swing
    pack-n-play or bassinet
    crib
    2 crib sheets
    ditto on the gripe water, thermometer and nail clippers.

nice to have:
    mobile
    tiny love playmat

nice to have later:
    high chair or booster chair
    jumperoo
    bumbo
    Last edited by Clarity; 02-11-2009 at 12:10 AM.
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Looks like you have a nice list going. I will say that a changing table is definitely not necessary. We've used a contour pad, with a nice cozy cover, on the floor for all three kids and never missed having the table. It would have just wasted space and $, IMO. Nice to have but not necessary. Once they hit 6 mos they start flipping all over the place anyway & you'd probably want them on the floor anyway.

You will probably not need an insane amount of **0-3mos** sleepers and such since your DC is arriving during heat wave time and you do not know how big they'll be. Maybe 1 or 2 cotton sleepers, 1 or 2 outfits, and a ton of onesies, as you'll probably be stripping the baby of clothing anyway. You'll get a TON of clothing from loved ones who've been dying to buy baby clothes, anyway.

Are you planning on wearing your little one? Very smart in the city!! Invest in a good carrier, like a Moby or Hotsling. There are an insane amount on the market ~ Moby is nice b/c it is cheap and OSFM, which means that is should fit you immediately PP as well as 6- PP, plus there are a lot of wearing options depending on how you want to wear your little one and how your little one perfers to be worn. Hotsling was nice for the 100* temps when I still wanted to wear DD but the Silk MobyD was inasanely uncomfortable (consider the plain cheap Moby...wish I had!).

As far as swings and bouncers go...I'd hold off and just take your little one to the store and try them out (with a blanket as a barrier, of course) to see what DC likes. When space is at a premium, you do not want to just have something on hand "just in case". I was fortunate and my DCs all loved the cheap FP bouncers (we'd bounce them with our feet on the metal leg for extra bounce...they liked it THAT much) and the swing (consider a folding one as the big ones gobble real estate). We had an $$ Maclaren vibrating bouncer that DD2 HATED and it wasted space (chunky & didn't fold) and we had a toddler bouncer/rocker that none of them liked either. Your DC might not like the swing or bouncer...I'd hold off, personally, if space is that valuable, and let THEM decide. For the first night home, have your stability ball blown up and ready to go (you'll want it for labor anyway..TIP!!). If the baby starts fussing just hold him/her against you and gently bouncy away until baby calms. When you are done...deflate!

*Aquaphor (Baby or regular) is a must, as is Creamy Desitin, for us.
    *We never used Gripe water...never had a colicky baby, though.
    *Check out the Fleurville Seconds sale for a potential diaper bag...I bought an awesome Escape Pod from one and you'd never know it was a "second". FYI...Granted, she was my third, but I've been using the EP since she was about 4mo, and that was with 2 more under 4. An EP is nice to have, esp if space is at a premium and you might be ditching some of your diaper bag stash as baby grows.

Good luck!
    Last edited by SASM; 02-11-2009 at 01:05 AM.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

poppy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I used to live in NYC so I understand about space. Also, when I had my first baby 6 mths ago I wished someone told me to get these things. Would have saved me a lot of trouble and trial and error.

Must Have:
    -Carseat (I have and like Maxi-Cosi (infant) and then Britax Marathon for later but saw on a Morning Show a recommendation for Evenflo Symphony to use as both infant/toddler seat)
    -Arm's Reach Bassinet (the regular, not the mini)
    -My Breast Friend
    -Baby Bjorn Bouncer
    -Playmat (I have Gymini but any is fine)
    -Swaddling Blanket (I used Miracle Blanket, but any will do)
    -Halo (used starting month 2.5) My DS liked to move around after 2 mths
    Depends on your child, if they liked being swaddled or not.
    -Lots of footies, onesies, gowns, a couple of hats (Never used any fancier clothes I got as gifts or bought myself)
    -(4) 4 ounce Bottles (Avent-BPA free ones)
    -Soothie Pacifiers (at least 2)
    -A lot of Burp cloths/wash cloth/bibs, at least 2 hooded towels (I used Bumpkins from Amazon)
    -Diapers/Wipes (I've tried everything and I actually liked Costco brand wipes and diapers--also the cheapest) If you can't go into suburbs for Costco, then I'd go with Huggies. Also liked 7th Generation but a little pricy. For my DS, Pampers diapers were too soft and the lint got stuck to his penis)
    -At least 5 Receiving Blankets
    -Sleep Positioner (Wished I got this b/c my son got a flat side on his head--a condition called plagiocephaly) and had to wear a DocBand to correct it--recommended by Dr. Jim Sears on the Dr's show--they had a list of must have's for new mom's)
    -California Baby Tea Tree Shampoo (if they have an itchy scalp)
    -Desitin, Safety First Baby Clippers, any Bathtub (love Primo Eurobath, but a bit big for a small place--I would anyway--worth it)
    -Lansinoh cream for sore nipples and lecithin to prevent plugged ducts (if nursing or pumping)
    -Medela Pump in Style Backpack
    -Any diaper bag (I use Gogaga brand) great but pricy--approx. 100 bucks but designed so you can put a lot of stuff and it won't hurt carrying around town--messenger style and straps to most strollers.
    -Sling (rather than stroller, esp. if you live in the city) Would recommend PSling--available in Soho or Japan only--it's a ring sling--very pricy, about 200 bucks but my Japanese friend swears by it and she's never bought a stroller
    -Good nursing bra (Bravado)--get properly sized--I got mine at the hospital's boutique to get sized.
    -Bumbo-right at 3 mths and older
    -Join your nearest Le Leche League for help with breastfeeding--would go when you're still pregnant for great tips

Nice to Have:

Swing (FP Aquarium) or travel swing (try them out first)

Hope that helps!

I had my first baby in early June in a one bedroom apartment.

You need a carseat, even if you do not own a car.
    You need a crib or pack and play, even if you plan on co-sleeping.
    You need three or four sheets for above crib/pack and play.
    Diapers
    Wipes (Cloth is better for newborns)
    Burp Cloths
    A couple of blankets for swaddling
    Onesies, Pajamas if you have Air Conditioning.
    That's about it.

REALLY nice to have-
    A sling or wrap. It will save your arms and back if you have a baby that needs to be held all the time...as many do!

Nice to have-
    Rattles for baby.
    Alicia
    Mama to four amazing children.

larig is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I live in a small (900 ft^2) house, so I know what you're saying about space. That said, here's what I found essential. DS was a mid-june baby, so our needs in terms of season are right in line. We live in Seattle, so we have things within a mile walk and drive when we do serious shopping. Man, it's a long list, but most of it's small.

-Graco 3-in-1 swing & bounce. It is all-in-one. The seat comes out of the swing and you can use it on its own (handy for taking into the bathroom when you need to take a shower). DS took naps in the swing for his first 6 months! He loved it. Keep in mind that we both work from home, so DS gets to be at home and using it during the day. If he's not going to be in your house during the day, it might not be so useful.
    -2 swaddle me blankets (first 3 months)--much easier than doing the burrito wrap late at night.
    -2 sleep sacks for later, when you're done with the swaddling. 1 fleece, 1 cotton (two weights for different temperatures. we use the cotton for naps during the day, fleece at night).
    -5-ish sleepers--with feet. zippers are fastest for changing. also keeps you from dealing with socks, which drove me crazy, because they all come off! Now that he's standing a lot he has some without feet. I have found I like the babyGAP ones with zippers. You can buy them once in a while when on sale for $11. You've got time to wait for the sales, since you're due in June. The babygap ones are closer fitting, but they don't have the flame retardant chemicals which I want to avoid. These are not fleece.
    -lots of onesies, they are pretty much all our boy wore when it was warm out.
    -cheap foam thing baby lies on for sponge baths (I got at bru, it was like $6 and folds).
    -stroller that takes a infant seat. we had a bob revolution w/an infant seat adapter. after 6 months we got a mac triumph and stopped using the infant carrier/seat. we use the bob for big walks and the mac for shopping.
    -we used a cloth diaper service, so had to get diaper covers.
    -12 bpa free bottles--don't bother with getting small ones, just get the big ones, no need to buy twice. (we BF at first but due to production had to use formula) + dishwasher cage for all of the nipples, vents, etc. (we use 2)
    -some blankets for covering the baby from cold, sun, etc. (we had these great gauzy ones which were perfect for a summer baby. you'd also want at least one warmer blanket for stroller rides in the fall, etc.
    -some books (look on ebay for lots of kids' books!)
    -first aid kit: thermometer, gas drops, prune juice (for constipation), baby suppositories (hope you don't need these), other typical first aid stuff. we also have a small kit from REI that we carry in our diaper bags.
    -bibs at least 6
    -nail clippers nail clippers nail clippers.
    -socks (for hands, so they don't scratch their faces when sleeping--much better than those stupid mittens they sell for that purpose.)
    -since we did formula we found an electric hot water kettle to boil water essential. Oh, and when we cooled the water temperature to a good "bottle" temp we'd pour it into a thermos to keep it a good temp. (not necessary, but we spoil our boy.)
    -cloth diapers for burp rags.
    -2 baby towels and 4 baby wash cloths. Gentle soap (Ivory). We've had to upgrade to something for really dry skin, but we started there.
    -decide on a crib. we started in a pack n play (need sheets for this), then after about 6 weeks got a dream on me porta crib (+ 2 sheets), because we wanted him to sleep in our room, and our room couldn't handle a full-on crib.
    -step-on waste basket for dirty wipes and diapers. you can't be bothered to open something with your hands when you're holding something with poo on it. And it contains the smell. we have a great stainless steel one from target.
    -we have contoured changing pad on a dresser. buy 2 covers, especially if you have a boy, who will definitely pee on it.
    -some toys for tummy time
    -ergo (I used it from birth with an infant insert).
    -if you have an iphone the app white noise lite. It's a white noise generator (you even have a timer and choices of sounds). It's free!!! LOVE IT, but we were also were believers in the happiest baby on the block theories.
    -baby 411--it has literally answered every baby question we've had. It even helped me diagnose my son's laryngomalacia (the most common cause of stridor in infants). It is amazing how much information is in that book.
    -at least bpa free 2 pacifiers.
    -car seat (we used infant seat to start. more convenient with a little one to go out to eat, and get from car to stroller.)

we waited on...
    fleece sleepers. I think we had a couple 3-6 month fleece, and have a couple of 6-12 mos. but I find we usually put him to bed in a cotton sleeper with a fleece sleep sack. fleece sleepers and fleece sleep sack is too hot at night and fleece sleeper is sometimes not enough.
    2nd stroller (6 months)
    high chair (5 months)
    activity center (4.5 months)
    play yard (we do have a pack n play on loan that we have had since he was born, we used for him to sleep in our room.)

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I love summer babies because I feel like you really need less with them

My absolute must haves:

7 onesies (I still did laundry 2x a week at first just because there are more explosions and spit ups) -- if i had to do it all over again, i'd buy some organic onesies. they're soo soft.
    7 snap front kimono style shirts (I used these mostly until DD was a month or so--great for the still-attached-umbilical cord)
    7 swaddling blankets (if you swaddle, i really love the aiden +anais ones. i also had the luna lullaby ones). these are multi-functional too, which i loved
    nail clippers (some of them have guards so that you don't clip the skin, i'd invest in that. i've seen lots of mamas cut their babes on accident)
    soothie pacifier (omg, saved my LIFE--these i brought back from hospital)
    dove soap (most gentle on baby and depending on their skin, you can look for others later)
    aquaphor and cetaphil. love both.
    diapers (i bought these after dd was born. i just brought a day's worth from the hospital and had my husband get them on our way home)
    mittens for the first month
    moby wrap--LOVED this.. though, when it's hot you'll be EXTRA hot in this. i wear an ergo now and love it even more. maybe you can get the infant insert and wear it from the get go.
    pump if you are going to BF
    8 bottles/nipples regardless
    later, get the Tripp Trapp highchair

nice to have:
    bouncer/swing. i'd say pick one. i love the FP bouncer. it looks obnoxious but my dd loved it. our $170 swing, she did NOT like too much.
    playmat --- you can make your own by just using a blanket on the floor. but i liked the bright design and animals on our FP rainforest one. it comes with toys too that you can take around with you. at 8 months, we still use it!! i take just the mat part when we travel too for familiarity.

Those are just some of the early on essentials. I've learned about great toys from here too and only buy those. I've learned to not buy every cute thing I see too.

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

jayali is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I totally agree with the post about waiting on the swing and bouncy. We never used our bouncy and since you will need a carseat you can use that for the first few weeks. We also did not get a PNP for our apartment (lived in Hoboken when our May boy was born). I used a moses basket. I loved the fact that it was a little easier to port - so if we were going to friends we brought the moses basket with us. It is only good until about 3 months and some can be pricey - but that was my favorite purchase.
    We used a changing pad on our table (had a cs so getting on the floor was not an option for me!) and I bought a small basket with a handle and compartments at PB to store diapers, desitin and wipes. I loved that little basket.
    I had lots of receiving blankets - DS HATED to be swaddled, but receiving blankets are a must.
    Also on the onesie issue - if you don't have convenient laundry I would stock up on them. They get spit up on and poop stains and if you can't do laundry often you will be surprised at how many you will need. I would say we went through 3 a day - some days more.
    And my next advice - if you haven't already bought "baby" furniture don't. We bought a regular dresser that fit nicely in his room and we still have it and I still love it. They outgrow baby furniture very quickly!
    DS was in a bassinette in our room for a short time and then he was in his crib full time - naps and to sleep. The apartment is was small enough that we didn't need a baby monitor and he was fine in his crib.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast