Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I love my Patemm Pad changing pad. It folds up, so I carried it in my diaper bag when my son was a baby. It's huge and covers the entire surface of a public restroom changing table. It also works great on the floor or bed at home. I never needed the pockets, so I got the pocketless one. It folds up flatter and fits well in medium or large diaper bags.

My son was also a huge drooler, so that pad was also great for protecting the floor -- at home or at playgroups.

js13 is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

Default Thanks!

Thank you for all your suggestions. They are extremely helpful.

Just a few comments:
    I had decided I wasn't getting a changing table, but was going to use a pad on the floor/couch, etc. It is nice to hear you all suggest the same.

Crib--I originally loved the idea of a moses basket b/c of its portability and small size. However, I am now of the opinion that b/c it has such a limited use (3 months), I didn't really "need" it, and I could just suffer w/a crib in my room for the first few months and then move the baby into its own room. What do you think?

I am a big fan of the idea of baby wearing and have spent a considerable amount of time comparing the various carriers. I had preliminarily decided on a Psling (particularly b/c they have interlocking rings and they can be made to accommodate a left-handed person, which I am) and Babyhawk for myself and a Ergo for my husband. I'm just wondering now if I will really need a sling, given that the Ergo can be used w/an infant, as can the Babyhawk.

Stroller--I was going to wait on the stroller as long as possible so that I could decide b/w one that is suitable for a 3 month old and up v. a 6 month old and up. Specifically, I'm deciding b/w an Uppababy G-lite (super light, collapsible umbrella stroller that stores easily) and Uppababy G-Luxe (slightly more substantial), the latter of which is suitable for 3+ months, but it is a bit heavier.

Bouncer/swing, etc--THANK YOU FOR SUGGESTING I WAIT. This is one of those things that people in the suburbs always seem to think I need. (And I have no idea!) It seemed a bit duplicative (at least at first) of other things--e.g., a carseat (which I must have to bring baby home in cab), a moses basket if I get one, and other baby loungers, etc. And I love the idea of waiting until I think he needs it and then letting him try them out.
    JEES, NYC

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Add-on

I was thinking about this last night. If you are seriously in need of space, and you have not been dreaming of the ideal first nursery, you can definitely do without a crib and just have a pack-n-play. Honestly, if I had to choose between a crib and PNP, the PNP would win hands down! We had a transition move while DS was 17mos to 20mos. He was in his PNP that entire time without a problem. We even kept him in it beyond so we could transition him easier to a twin bed and have the crib available to the incoming baby-at-the-time (DD1). The PNP can take up a bit of closet space when folded, which from what I remember is also quite valuable in a NYC apt...so seriously consider doing without a crib. The PNP is nice b/c when you have guests they can still stay in the 2nd BR and DC's PNP can be moved easily into your room or the MA bathroom/closet, if it is big enough (that is DD2's current napping place as DD1 still naps and they share a room), or whatever designated nook you might have. We have used our PNP sooooo much over the last 6 years...best purchase, along with a good compact stroller and baby carrier!!

ETA: We live away from our families so we were constantly traveling home. The PNP was constantly used for this as well as a nap place and portable crib in our house. Good luck!!
    Last edited by SASM; 02-11-2009 at 03:46 PM.
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

js13 is offline Bronze level (10+ posts)

What is "JJB"? (sorry...)
    JEES, NYC

SASM is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by js13 View Post
    What is "JJB"? (sorry...)
    JuJuBe diaper bag line
    Mom to:
    1 BLUE (03) and 2 PINK (05 & 07)
    ^i^ 10.01 & 12.03

Pardon my typos...blasted Auto-correct!!

Smile Must have bouncer/infant seat

This is the very first time I have posted a reply on a forum, so I hope I am doing this right.

After doing a lot of research we decided on a Baby Bjorn Babysitter for our baby girl. She is 6 months now, and I have to say I would have paid every penny we own for this thing! The reviews were so right. It is a metal frame with a canvas cover that the baby lies in. It has 3 positions and it will bounce when they squirm (no batteries/no vibrating) If you use it to let them sleep it gently lulls them back to sleep if they start to move around with a bouncing motion. It folds flat for travel (we took it to Cabo on a plane), it is an AMAZING product. Most bouncers/seats have a much lower weight limit, but not this one. It also has a toy bar with spinning wooden bears. It was the first thing she reached for and played with! It is expensive, but we found ours on ebay. It is the old model called "the babysitter 123". they make a new one now and it is even more expensive, and not as available on ebay. We paid about $50 for ours, and like I said, I would have paid A LOT more. When she learned to move and bounce it herself, it entertains her for at least 1/2 hour at a time. Sorry this is long.

We also have a Summer Infant green booster seat with a tray with toys on it. Some people like the bumbo, but after we bought one we realized her thighs were just too chubby! I had to sell it and ended up with this. It is awesome!

I love my Ergo Carrier. My OB told me NOT to wear a carrier like that for the 1st 6 weeks due to my c section, so I bought a Hotsling which was great. Went back to my Ergo. I will warn you that around 5 mos they seem to be in an awkward stage for the Ergo. Hoping to try it again soon....too big for newborn carry, not ready to put legs around mom. Hated the alternate carry with legs crossed.

We loved our Moses Basket - that is where he slept in our LR for day naps. We also stuck that inside the pnp bassi when he was first home. HOwever, we borrowed ours so it was free.

What we didn't use:
    Swaddle me - get the Halo Sleepsack instead: newborn size comes w/ a swaddle velcro if you want to swaddle.
    Play gym - mat - LO used his 2x's then hated it.

I'd ask around to see if anyone you know has a swing or bouncy seat you can borrow. We couldnt live w/o our seat, but I was able to borrow the swing to try it out (he naps there still!).

I just decided too to go w/ o the changing table. My LO is 6 mos and 20 lbs and when he outgrows the pnp changing table the weight limit on most changing table only seems to be about 30 lbs.

GL!

We are in a 2 bed appt. too. It is amazing what all of our friends have given us, so I can tell you that we have bouncy chairs, swings etc. all over the place!
    ...and our kid doesn't like them
    ....need to get rid of them!

NEED:
    -car seat
    -diapers
    -receiving blankets (our baby spits up a LOT, so 12 is barely enough for us)
    -clothes of your choice, zippers are great. And I prefer diaper shirts to over the head onesies. (avoid cute 'outfits'. all you want are onesies and sleepers)
    -carrier of your choice (we have a Moby and a Bjorn)
    -penaten cream
    -pump if you want some freedom to leave baby with someone else and are planning to BF (we have Ameda Purely Yours)
    -bottles
    -maybe a baby bath tub? Could bath in sink....
    -swaddling blanket OR sleepsack. our kid likes being swaddled, so we haven't used any of our sleepsacks yet. Expect we will though...
    -something for sleep...we actually have a handmedown crib, cosleeper, and bassinet. Our favorite: HER STROLLER BASSINET! So all the others are just taking up room. The stroller rocks, cuz when she falls asleep in the living room we just roll her in to the bedroom. However, I expect that we will move her to her crib in about 3 - 4 months. Stroller is the Uppababy Vista.
    -vit. D (babyD drops are great, because it is just 1 drop a day)
    -comfy nursing bra/tank (I love Bravado)
    -playmat (tiny love)
    -sleep!

AVOID:
    -baby furniture, esp. change tables

WAIT:
    -nipple cream, I never needed it.
    -bouncy chairs and swings

cicada is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

My son outgrew the cradle at 6 weeks, so it wasn't even three months' worth of use... However, I did like the convenience of having him in our room for the 6 weeks he fit in the cradle (I was breastfeeding), and our doorways are too narrow for the crib we have. If you can put the crib in your room for a while you can get the convenience of having the baby close by without having to own an extra piece of baby furniture.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast