Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Baked Oatmeal recipe?

I was browsing through a cookbook at Costco, and it had a really delicious sounding Baked Oatmeal recipe. It required overnight refrigeration, followed by baking the next day. Has anyone ever made Baked Oatmeal? I get the impression that it doesn't end up tasting like regular oatmeal, but rather ends up being a lot thicker perhaps cookie-like, but I'm not sure.

For those of you who have had it or made it, what does it taste like or compare to?

If so, any good recipes to share? TIA!
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default thanks brittone2! and 2 questions...

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    i've been meaning to say a big thanks to britton2 for the awesome baked oatmeal recipe! we just finished off our first batch and loved it. loved it warm with a touch of milk and maple syrup... and more often we'd just pull a cold hunk out of the fridge to nibble on - yum! my mom even took a big chuck with her road trip snacks.

mmmommy - it was kind of heavy cake like in texture. even though there is no flour, everyone thought there was... the yogurt really breaks down the oats.

i added some fresh blueberries, a can of pears (diced first), about 1 1/2 cups dried fruit (raisins, cranberries and dates), and about 1 1/2 cups pecans. i also added a few TBs each of wheatgerm, oat bran and ground flax seed... next time i'll double them.

i used 1 part maple syrup and 3 parts brown sugar for the sweetener. i subbed a third of the oil with applesauce.

now for the questions...
    - can i add protein powder to this recipe and still get the benefits after cooking it?
    - does this recipe fit in a 9 x 13 pan... assuming you use the full 5 cups oats, 2 cups yogurt and all the extra stuff? i had to use a huge bowl to mix this and decided to put it in a deep 11 x 15 just in case.

Can't wait to try it out! DDs and I love oatmeal. Thanks!

Note: I'm discovering the overwhelming fan base for Brittone2's (Beth's) Baked Oatmeal! I hadn't bothered to go beyond the first page search results for "Baked Oatmeal," and had I done so, I would have surely come across all the threads devoted to this recipe!

Now I'm REALLY eager to try it!
    Last edited by MMMommy; 02-11-2009 at 01:12 AM.
    Mommy to Two DDs

The thread was started before we had the cooking forum, I think. I found it in the Kid Food forum.

Just to warn you, it makes a bunch of it. I have started cutting it in half when I make it or we just have too much. I need to make some again, though, as we are in a rut with breakfast.

I'm soaking the oats as we speak. I bought lowfat plain yogurt for soaking. But has anyone tried vanilla yogurt? Does that enhance the flavor?
    Mommy to Two DDs

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I've made this in about 100 variations. I really don't think you can mess it up LOL!

I have not used vanilla yogurt, but I used vanilla soymilk once because I was low on milk and it was fine. A touch more vanilla-y than usual.

I have also used strawberry kefir once when I was low on yogurt.

I used buttermilk to replace part of the yogurt once too and it was fine.

I use about 1/3 of the amount of cinnamon called for because DH thinks it is too much. But he is not a cinnamon fan in general.

You can also only use 2 eggs and it is fine. I cut back beeause it killed me to use 4 of my organic eggs for it LOL! First I tried 2 and then 2.

I cut it up and freeze half to 2/3 of it in smaller containers, and then I thaw as I need them. A pan lasts me a week to 10 days (interspersed with other breakfasts).
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Vanilla yogurt has a lot of sugar in it (watch out for HFCS in store brands), so I'm not sure what that would do to your ratios. I add vanilla to mine anyway, so I would try that first.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Oh that's another thing. I think the recipe as written is WAY too sweet. I use about 1/3 cup of sugar/honey and that is sweet enough for us.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I love this recipe too. I didn't care for it when I used vanilla yogurt - I prefer it with plain yogurt. I've used mashed ripe bananas and leftover jarred baby food in the recipe before, but really really love it with a couple of cups of Costco frozen berry mix (blueberries, raspberries and I think blackberries).

Mine comes out like a really thick oatmeal - you need to eat it in a bowl with a spoon (I nuke it for 20 secs or so to warm it up). But if you use less milk than I do (don't ask me how much I use - maybe 1.5c?), I think it would come out dryer and more like a cookie or bar.

urquie - I use a 9x13 pan and it is loaded almost to the top, but it does fit.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast