Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    So, bar-like as in cuttable? I've been trying to imagine away this would be a less messy more portable snack, like a cereal bar.
    Oh yes, very cutable. Sort of a cross btwn a cake and a bar (not super dense). It would still be pretty crumbly to eat it with your hands in the car or something, but the kids both picked it up and ate it with their hands at the table. Not sure though if the milk serves some important function other than added liquid.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    BUT, I got distracted trying to keep DD off the stepstool (DS was helping mix), that I totally forgot about the 1.5 C milk!! I added no milk and baked. It came out like a bar, but still good. This receipe is forgiving if you can totally forget about the milk and have it come out edible.
    that's too funny... i *almost* forget the milk every time! i love how flexible this recipe is!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    Oh yes, very cutable. Sort of a cross btwn a cake and a bar (not super dense). It would still be pretty crumbly to eat it with your hands in the car or something, but the kids both picked it up and ate it with their hands at the table. Not sure though if the milk serves some important function other than added liquid.
    Maybe I will try it. I always use 1 cup of milk and it is still really messy cake! Or maybe I just need to look for a good recipe for granola bars.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Maybe I will try it. I always use 1 cup of milk and it is still really messy cake! Or maybe I just need to look for a good recipe for granola bars.
    How long do you bake it? We use milk and it makes a mobile on the go breakfast bar here provided it is cooled completely. I tend to cook mine a little longer than the recipe, maybe that is the difference.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I always use 1 cup of milk and it is still really messy cake!
    How much other liquid are you using in the recipe? I use that if not more milk and it always bakes to a consistency that is easily cuttable and carryable without crumbling.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

No other liquid but I add a lot of fruit, sometimes frozen. I often add so much fruit that it is REALLY thick which is probably part of my issue. It's good, don't get me wrong, but it is not portable.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ah yes, the fruit is the issue. Cooked fruit gives up a lot of liquid. I would consider not adding the milk and see if that helps.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

No other liquid but I add a lot of fruit, sometimes frozen. I often add so much fruit that it is REALLY thick which is probably part of my issue. It's good, don't get me wrong, but it is not portable.
    Ah! We use mostly dried fruit (cranberries, cherries, raisins) so that is likely the difference.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5