Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

But if you use less milk than I do (don't ask me how much I use - maybe 1.5c?), I think it would come out dryer and more like a cookie or bar.
    I use about that much milk and it is definitely like a bar. How long do you cook it? I find I have to cook it for at least 45-50 minutes.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So yummy! I used 1 1/2 cups of milk, 5 cups of the oats, 1 1/2 cups of lowfat plain yogurt, and honey for the sweetener. I didn't put any add-ons, so it was plain. It reminds me of a cross between an oatmeal bread pudding with the taste of Swedish oatmeal pancakes. Delicious, and I ate a cold slice for breakfast this morning.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    I use about that much milk and it is definitely like a bar. How long do you cook it? I find I have to cook it for at least 45-50 minutes.
    I don't remember what the recipe says, but I let it go a lot longer. An hour sticks in my brain. I use the full 2c of yogurt, 1.5c of milk, 5c of oatmeal, 2-3c of frozen fruit and follow the recipe on everything else.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

2-3c of frozen fruit
    It's probably the fruit. That's really a lot. And frozen fruit releases a lot of water when cooked. I tend to add dried fruit (about 1/2 - 1 cup) so it absorbs, rather than releases water.

I also use much less oil than called for. I think it calls for 3/4 cup oil? I use 1/2 cup applesauce and 1/4 cup oil.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Could be the fruit. I just love the berries in it and don't mind the softer consistency but if you don't like real oatmeal, the bars are probably much better. I don't use any oil - substitute applesauce for the full amt.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Thank you for this. Tried it this weekend and DH loved it.

I used all applesauce and no oil. Turned out well. 4 cups of oats + 1 cup of milk with dried fruit = cake-like.

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for the great recipe. I made it this weekend and could not keep myself away from it. YUM. Since DD loves it too, it will be nice to not have to worry about breakfast a few times this week.

I used mostly applesauce in place of the oil too, 1.5 cup yogurt, 1.5 cup milk and less than a cup of extra water because I added a ridiculous number of frozen blueberries.

I'm trying to think of other sweeteners. I used almost half a cup total, between honey and maple syrup. I think the applesauce makes it a little sweeter too, but that seemed like the right sweetness for me. I'm tempted to try some jam next time. It might look funny but I bet it would be good...
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

I use brown sugar as the sweetener. I have used honey and maple syrup, but that's a little too expensive for me.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I just made some with molasses - I used half regular and half blackstrap to give it some iron.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Oh, I love the brown sugar and molasses ideas, thanks ladies! I still have half a pan in the kitchen but now I can't wait to make it again...
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast