Default Sippy/straw cup issues!

DS is being introduced to the sippy cup. We tried the take n toss ones - he bit through the spouts.

We've tried other sippies - soft spout, hard spout, etc and he doesn't like the spout style.

So we tried a straw cup - specifically the nuby "flip and sip". We LOVE these - he likes the straw; it has handles HE can hold; and doesn't leak! The problem is that they aren't insulated.

So what do we do for an insulated straw cup with handles?? I bought a Foogo today - but he can't hold it and he can't figure out how to get his face past the lid to drink from it. Then the inevitable happened - he turned it upside down and ALL the juice came pouring out. So the Foogo is going back to Target once I wash it.

The other issue is that his home DCP refuses to allow ANY other cups besides the Playtex insulated sippy cup. And she's frustrated that he won't take it. I think its because the spout is so freaking hard and not a shape his mouth likes. I'm not sure what to do - she refuses to allow the Nuby ones because she claims "they all leak". I do understand that she has to protect her carpet, but if he's happy with the straw cup I would PREFER to use those because they are better for oral-motor development. I recently got upset with her because she was frustrated with DS for refusing to take the playtex sippy and wouldn't let him have any formula until lunch time. I told her under NO uncertain terms was his fluid intake to be restricted - and I know how much he drinks in a normal day and if he's not drinking it then I will be VERY upset and he will no longer be in her care. I again explained to her that he doesn't appear to like ANY sippy cups and will only take straw cups. I even offered to provide the leak-proof straw cups and she refused.

HELP!
    Last edited by tnrnchick74; 02-13-2009 at 06:13 PM. Reason: my spelling sucks because my son was helping!

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

http://www.munchkin.com/products/det...10021&pID=1094
    We really like these. They do spill a bit though but not as much as the Foogo's IMO. Not sure if he will be able to hold it, but the lid shouldn't be an issue as it is with the Foogo, and it's insulated too.

Can't speak to the DCP. That sounds crazy not giving him his formula because he can't take it out of the playtex. Which exact ones does she allow BTW?
    DD
    DS

srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by tnrnchick74 View Post
    So we tried a straw cup - specifically the nuby "flip and sip". We LOVE these - he likes the straw; it has handles HE can hold; and doesn't leak! The problem is that they aren't insulated.
    Hm, our Nuby flip and sip ones from WM ARE insulated. No handles though.

That stinks about the DCP! Hope you find a solution soon!
    eta--My DS is 10 mo, and we still do all his milk in the bottle. We only use sippies or straws for water at mealtime. Will your DCP not let him have bottles? yikes!
    Last edited by srhs; 02-13-2009 at 08:04 PM.

Yeah, DCP will allow bottles, but she is pushing him to be OFF the bottle and only use sippy cups during the day. I'm not happy about this at all, as I feel that HE needs to set the pace with weaning to all cups.

She only allows 1 type of sippy cups - the playtex insulated sippy cup. But my son refused to drink from them.

BeccaB. is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Sounds like you might need a new DCP. In my state it is illegal for the DCP to restrict food or liquid intake for any reason. I can't believe that she would deny a child formula! How anal can you be that your carpet being clean is more important than a child having enough to drink? I don't understand people like that.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Playtex makes an insulated straw cup. We have a number of them. They don't leak at all

http://www.playtexproductsinc.com/in...upsByStage.asp

Scroll down to Stage 4.

I don't see how SHE can dictate what bottles/sippies you/he use. Seriously. Its a nutrition/hydration issue. Personally, *I* would sent whatever sippies YOU want him to use and forbid her to use anything else.

I guess you have to be prepared that she will give you notice. Do you have a backup plan???
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

schums is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Personally, I'd go back to bottles. The DCP can deal with it. If DS won't drink from her "approved" sippy, then he gets the bottle. Or she can let you bring in the straw cups he'll drink from. But I'm with you -- at 8 months, he needs the bottle.
    Sarah
    Mom to Alex (2002) and Catherine (2003)

"The challenge of parenting isn't shaping your kids to be what you want, it's shaping yourself to be what your kids need." - Wellyes

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I understand that DCPs have to have rules. But I think you are totally within bounds to pointedly request that he/she give your DS a staw cup that he will accept (of course, one that is a proven no-leaker).

We've found a few insulated, flip-straw cups that have not leaked - one Playtex one was definitely from our local Jewel, and we have a Gerber one that I want to say was from Target. None of ours have handles though.

It sounds frustrating, but you'll get past this with something that works. Good luck!
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

He's 8 mos. old. He doesn't need a 4 month transition to cups. Try again in 2 mos and see what he likes. Give the baby back his bottle and tell her to deal with it.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Here's my $0.02. If he is getting formula in the cups, that is a meal/snack and should be served either by holding him while he has it or supervised in a highchair. If she is doing that, then her carpets should not be getting leaked on, no matter what cup he is using.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)