Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Can I use regular Quaker's oatmeal to introduce solids?

We'll be introducing solids for DC in a few weeks and I'm gathering some weaning food info in preparation. I know there are oatmeal brands for baby, but is there any reason why I shouldn't use regular Quaker's oatmeal as long as I cook it well and soften it up?

Thanks!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

put it in the food processor or blender for a few seconds before you cook it.

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/oat...oodrecipes.htm

Oatmeal Baby Cereal(make it Organic by using Organic Rolled or Steel Cut Oats!)

1/4 cup of ground oats (do NOT use instant or Quick Cook), ground in blender or food processor
    3/4 cup - 1 cup water

1. Bring liquid to boil in saucepan. Add the oatmeal powder while stirring constantly.
    3. Simmer for 10 minutes, whisking constantly, mix in formula or breast milk and fruits if desired
    3. Serve warm.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We used the food processor for oatmeal, as PP outlined, and it worked out great! At first I had trouble with lumps, but whisking as the powder is slowly poured in really makes all the difference.

Actually we started with rice (same procedure), and then moved on to oatmeal and all sorts of other grains too. It was so easy, and kind of fun. With the firmer grains like rice, you just have to be sure to grind the heck out of them.

Good luck!
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We just did the regular Quaker Oats from the start, but we waited until they were ready for table food and skipped purees. Quick oats are just regular oats cut up smaller and instant are cut the smallest, so you could use those if you wanted. ETA: we also would serve leftover oatmeal cold from the fridge as a finger food, so it was not like "baby oatmeal" made from powder.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The only thing about using adult rice or oatmeal and grinding it is, that they are not usually fortified with iron--if that's a concern to you. Most baby food in the US is fortified with iron but I hear that it's not necessary. Most baby food in Europe doesn't have any iron.

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ahrimie View Post
    The only thing about using adult rice or oatmeal and grinding it is, that they are not usually fortified with iron--if that's a concern to you. Most baby food in the US is fortified with iron but I hear that it's not necessary. Most baby food in Europe doesn't have any iron.
    That's what encourages me to buy the "baby" cereals.

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks all! That helped.

Daisy

How about with regular barley? Can you just grind dry barley and have it turn out like baby barley would? How many of you actually use barley? So far I have only used rice cereal but would like to expand to add some variety.
    Heather ~

Connor and Addi (8/08)

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I tried making barley cereal for DD1 once, but it was only once has she had an allergic reaction ... I didn't get a chance to refine my process, but the batch I made was a little chunkier than how the cereal flakes turn out ...
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by la mama View Post
    How about with regular barley? Can you just grind dry barley and have it turn out like baby barley would? How many of you actually use barley? So far I have only used rice cereal but would like to expand to add some variety.
    I LOVE this site. It has answered about every question I have had. ( even after already cooking for 3 other boys) http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/index.htm

Barley Baby Cereal

1/4 cup ground barley (barley ground in blender or food processor)
    1 cup water

1. Bring liquid to a boil. Add the barley and simmer for 10 minutes, whisking constantly
    2. Mix in formula or breast milk or juice and add fruits if desired
    3. Serve warm

Purchase only hulled or pearled barley - "Whole barley must be prepared for human consumption because of it’s hard, fibrous hull that is not easily removed. Only buy barley in it's whole form if you want to sprout it and eat it as barley grass. Processors use an abrasive machine to remove the hull making it safe to eat. At this stage it’s called hulled or pot barley. In this processed form, the germ has been damaged to the point that it will no longer sprout.

Pearled barley, which is hulled barley with the ends of the kernel removed so it’s round in shape is another popular way you can get barley. Pearled barley has it’s germ and much of the bran around the endosperm removed. This is where many of the vitamins and minerals are found and because of this, it’s nutritional qualities are down about 25%-33% from what you generally find in hulled barley. But pearled barley cooks up much quicker which is it’s big advantage.

Both pearled barley and hulled barley are primarily used in soups and stews where they fluff up to almost the size of a pea."†
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions