Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Tagless garments causing chemical "burns"

So, with the 2007 Carter's recall for their tagless garments, DD did fine with them for months. Then, all of the sudden, she had a reaction. A red, enflamed postage stamp size mark, almost like a burn. Then it kind of spread to little red bumps over her chest, stomach, jawline,etc.

I did some reading on the web and it sounds like the chemicals in the tagles "tag" are BPA, PVC, and/or formaldehyde. I couldn't find anything saying they were latex. (Carter's doesn't disclose what's in the labels). Basically, they iron it on and some of the chemicals don't "bond" and are free to leach into the skin!

So, now I think DD has become sensitized and she has reactions to ALL tagless garmets. I'm really bummed b/c it's hard to find onsies with cloth tags. I even tried covering the tagless part with tape and it still caused irritation. I wish I would have heeded the recall and just stopped using the 2007 Carter's onsies right away. I think It totally sensitized her. I'm hoping if I don't use any tagless garments for awhile her skin will recover and she could wear them again.

I don't really care about the cost (Carter's has refunded the cost), it's the agony that I've exposed her system to some awful chemicals and now she has a sensitivity

Anyone else have this issue? Are there any places to get some plain onsies with cloth tags that I could put under other outfits?
    Last edited by DrSally; 02-16-2009 at 11:34 PM.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DrSally View Post
    So, with the 2007 Carter's recall for their tagless garments, DD did fine with them for months. Then, all of the sudden, she had a reaction. A red, enflamed postage stamp size mark, almost like a burn. Then it kind of spread to little red bumps over her chest, stomach, jawline,etc.

I did some reading on the web and it sounds like the chemicals in the tagles "tag" are BPA, PVC, and/or formaldehyde. I couldn't find anything saying they were latex. (Carter's doesn't disclose what's in the labels). Basically, they iron it on and some of the chemicals don't "bond" and are free to leach into the skin!

So, now I think DD has become sensitized and she has reactions to ALL tagless garmets. I'm really bummed b/c it's hard to find onsies with cloth tags. I even tried covering the tagless part with tape and it still caused irritation. I wish I would have heeded the recall and just stopped using the 2007 Carter's onsies right away. I think It totally sensitized her. I'm hoping if I don't use any tagless garments for awhile her skin will recover and she could wear them again.

I don't really care about the cost (Carter's has refunded the cost), it's the agony that I've exposed her system to some awful chemicals and now she has a sensitivity

Anyone else have this issue? Are there any places to get some plain onsies with cloth tags that I could put under other outfits?
    I have all my sons' hand-me-downs and most of the pjs and onesies are neutral so I've been using them for SiSi and Greenbean. Since they are about 5 years old, they all have tags. However, since I thought it would be cute to have some pink things for SiSi, I bought her some onesies and pjs from Target. Mine aren't Carters, they are th Circo brand and they have turned hard and flaky and scratch her skin. I"ve tried using a nail file to file off the plasticky, "tag" but it doesn't help. So I stopped using them.

I'd suggest you go to a consignement store and get used ones. I know that used onesies may seem a little icky, but at least they are well worn and washed. I'd be pretty ticked if what you experienced happend to us.

Ugh, why can't they just sew in the little tags? Isn't that easier anyway? Sorry you are going through this.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

They sell this iron on stuff that you put over scratchy embroidery at JoAnns. I can't remember what it is called. You can cut little squares and put them over the tagless tag. I have had luck with that!
    Have a nice day!

Thanks, I actually am putting her in some of DS's old onsies with tags. So, sometimes around the house, she's in blue. I can put a boy onsie under a pink cardigan or something like that and it's ok. It makes me sad she can't wear a lot of the super cute clothes I bought for her (and I tend to over buy).
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Quote Originally Posted by Davids-Coco View Post
    They sell this iron on stuff that you put over scratchy embroidery at JoAnns. I can't remember what it is called. You can cut little squares and put them over the tagless tag. I have had luck with that!
    Hmm, maybe that would be more of a barrier than the tape I've been using. I don't understand how it irritates her through the tape, but it does. If you remember what the name is called, specifically, please let me know. I've never done iron on, but it can't be that hard, right?
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

dcmom2b3 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Onesies w/ cloth tags

Try www.essentialwhites.com I sought them out for longer/bigger onesies (I swear that DD's torso is almost as long as mine) but their products are lovely -- soft, well made, and w/o "tagless" tags (a traditional small satin ribbon tag that you could cut out if you chose.)
    M-H

"Mombee" to my Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by dcmom2b3 View Post
    Try www.essentialwhites.com I sought them out for longer/bigger onesies (I swear that DD's torso is almost as long as mine) but their products are lovely -- soft, well made, and w/o "tagless" tags (a traditional small satin ribbon tag that you could cut out if you chose.)
    Thanks, I hope they're reasonably priced. I could buy a bunch and hopefully it would work to just put them under everything, and maybe even do the iron-on patch on the tagless garmets as well just to be safe.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

caheinz is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

No problems with the tags (yet), but another option for cloth tagged onesies is American Apparel.
    mommy to three boys: A, 3/04
    and identical twins B and D, arrived 9/08

IDcam is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

We like SpaSilk onesies. You can get them from BRU online and sometimes find them at Baby Depot. The are definitely softer and thicker than the Carters onesies and have the silk tags you can cut off. I've heard people using them as shirts because they are so thick. Good luck!
    DD
    DS

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

You know, I heard about this several months ago. Luckily we haven't had any problems, but I wonder why it's happening suddenly. I mean tagless clothes have been around for a while, at least for grownups. Are they using a different chemical for kids' clothing?
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast