Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    LBW is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've never heard of this & DS3 wears tagless Carter's sleepers every day. Is this a concern for all tagless garments, or only Carter's?
    Tara
    living a crazy life with 3 boys

I am thinking now
    of grief, and of getting past it;
    I feel my boots
    trying to leave the ground,
    I feel my heart
    pumping hard. I want
    to think again of dangerous and noble things.
    I want to be light and frolicsome.
    I want to be improbable beautiful and afraid of nothing,
    as though I had wings.

~Mary Oliver

ahrimie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

So scary!! Sorry you're going through this and don't beat yourself up too much (if you are) over this. If Carter's and other companies were more responsible, we wouldn't have to worry and suffer like this.

DD1 5/08
    DD2 6/11

Thank you for posting this! I hadn't heard about this at all.

DD had this a few months ago and I told DH that it looked like the tags on her PJ's were irritating her back. So we stopped using the tagged PJs and used the tagless PJs. Opps!

When it didn't go away after 2 weeks, with lotion, etc., we took her to the ped, who said it was ringworm, probably from the grandparents' pets. (We had recently visited them.) We treated it, and it took a while to go away (just thought it was a stubborn case of RW) then came back and then went away again.

She hasn't had a problem since, but that's probably because she's outgrown whatever clothes were bothering her. I'll pay more attention to it.

Is it still a problem now or have manufacturers chagned their process? If it's still being a problem, I'll get some fusible material at the craft store.
    HillaryB

Wife to DH (8/00)
    Mama to DD (10/07) and DS (4/12)

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yikes! This is worrying me as DD wears Carters' tagless fleece sleepers every night to bed - she has very sensitive skin but thus far no reaction. Very scary about your little boy. Is there any action we can take as a group, or appeal to some place like Moms Rising to take this on in terms of CSPC standards?

clb is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by maestramommy View Post
    You know, I heard about this several months ago. Luckily we haven't had any problems, but I wonder why it's happening suddenly. I mean tagless clothes have been around for a while, at least for grownups. Are they using a different chemical for kids' clothing?
    I read about this on here a few months back.
    Carter's changed the label. The ones that were a problem where from last winter. I had purchased some ahead to use this winter and had a few hand me downs with the label.

See this link. It shows the difference in the tags.
    http://pregnancy-pitstop.com/blog/re...s-baby-clothes

It's only from the fall 2007 line, but how do I know which ones those were? It doesn't look like like they have dates on their tags. I looked it up on the cpsc and they only have the exact same info as the previous link.
    Tina, mommy to:
    DS1 "D" 12-98
    DS2 "E" 12-05
    DD "G" 6-07

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

They did a voluntary recall on the 2007 line. The tag is solid, like a solid, plastic square. They're still being sold at TJ max/Marshalls I see. B/c of DD's bdate, we had a ton of the 2007 line and I figured since it wasn't bothering her, I would keep wearing them. Big mistake. It was just a matter of time. Now, she has a reaction to all tagless garmets, even the stenciled ones. I've read that the 2007 line was particularily bad b/c of the large surface area of the tagles applique. The stenciled ones obviously have less of the tagless material, but it's still basically the same stuff. Some people on the web have posted about peeling their DC's pjs off and some of their skin coming off where the tag was!

ETA: I'm hoping when the new toy/clothing law takes effect, they'll change their tags so they don't have any BPA/PVC/formaldehyde.
    Here's some info I found:

http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2008/09/ta...-chemical.html
    Last edited by DrSally; 02-17-2009 at 12:21 PM.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

clb is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Sally thanks for this. I had the same thought... DS hasn't had a reaction. I had a few 07 onesies that we were still using. I just took them out of his drawers.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by clb View Post
    Sally thanks for this. I had the same thought... DS hasn't had a reaction. I had a few 07 onesies that we were still using. I just took them out of his drawers.
    Good, I wish I would've had more foresight. I guess it's the tightwad in me that wanted to use all her clothes!
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Formaldehyde is hidden in so many products, it's scary! If that's what she's become sensitive to, it may have been in the tape you used as well, which might explain the reaction even after you put something on top of the tag spot.

If you think that could be it, you might want to avoid products with the following ingredients (if she continues to have skin reactions even after you stop using the tagless clothing):

Formaldehyde and formaldehyde-releasing agent synonyms
    - diazolidinyl urea
    - imidazolidinyl urea
    - DMDM hydantoin
    - Quaternium- 15

*Those seem to be the four most likely found in creams, cleansers, and shampoos.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast