Default Another crib vs. toddler bed???

DS is 15 months old and I am expecting in August. DS moves around in crib a lot and does not always sleep through the night. He will be 21 months when baby is born. Should we just purchase another crib or try the toddler bed? DH does NOT want to spend $$ on another crib, but I have serious concerns about the toddler bed. DH's "bright idea" is to just let DS use the queen sized bed we currently have. DH is crazy, right???

Any advice would be much appreciated!

TIA

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD will be 26 mo when DS is born in May. There is no way I want to deal with transitioning DD to a toddler bed while dealing with a newborn.
    I am going to buy the $99 IKEA Gulliver crib for DS. DD has a really nice convertible crib that I am going to keep her contained in as long as possible!
    DD
    DS

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

What about a bassinet for the baby for the first few months to buy yourself some more time?

Personally though I would buy another crib. A toddler w/ freedom is a potential challenge. The longer they are contained, the better, imo.

Beth

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We had a good experience transitioning DS at 18-19 months into a full sized bed, initially on the floor. He actually slept better in the larger bed, perhaps because he was so big!

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DD started climbing out during naptime around 21-22 mos. We finally just put her in the full-sized bed and it was okay for a few months. Naptimes for the last 6ish months have been crazy. Not sure if keeping her in a crib would have helped.

In response, I purchased another crib(from CL) that actually matches DS' bedroom and we built it tonight. I even bought a new mattress even though I have a friend's nice crib/mattress that doesn't match our stuff. I WANT to keep DS in the crib as long as possible since they'll be sharing a room. I thought getting a new mattress and matching crib would encourage me to keep him contained longer. I don't want to be fussing with a sleeping issue with a new baby around.