Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Haven't gotten to read all the posts, but I skimmed and saw that someone asked about mail. After reading that Julie Morganstern book (LOVE IT!!!!)
    I created this system for mail/incoming papers in my classroom. I set it up here at home too!

Get these large magazine files (got mine at Walmart) http://www.buyonlinenow.com/viewitem...B40614ROS&gb=1 Involve DH in the process so he has some ownership/understanding/pride in it.

set up a mail center with them:
    one for You - with 5x7 index cards decorating the front with huge letters
    one for DH
    one for junk mail/recyclable stuff
    one for magazines you may read
    one for stuff to give to other people

Find some space where you can put them at eye or hand level. Ours are on a shelf in the coat closet where we naturally go when we come in. It has been working WONDERFULLY for almost 6 years now. I only deal with the incoming mail (unless it is something handwritten/important/personal) maybe once a week. All bills go into DH's and he's better about checking in his box on a more routine basis. He knows all bills are there and stay there until he tosses them.

I am in no way qualified to respond in this thread, but I'm learning how to be more organized and this is one thing that has REALLY worked here.

ETA: I got one of the desk apprentice things from Staples after reading about it here, and it has effectively tamed the paper monster that was hovering around our kitchen table - stuff that wasn't really mail-related, that I needed during the week - coupons, babysitting co-op lists, incoming papers for DC from church, thank you notes, random pictures, receipts, meal planning info, address labels, stamps, etc. We have no office, so everything has to be handy and in view.
    Last edited by WatchingThemGrow; 02-24-2009 at 04:42 PM.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Some more thoughts:

-Games- in a stack on a shelf in our dining room. We play them at the dining room table so having them close makes the most sense.

-Tools live on a shelf in the garage BUT I do have a screwdriver and a hammer and a few fasteners in the back of one kitchen drawer.

-Laundry hampers are a must. Even if the laundry is backed up, it just feels better to have it off the floor 100%. Unless you love laundry and do it happily and all the time, I think people need as many hampers as all their clothes will fill. If you have more clothes than will fit in your hampers, get more hampers or get rid of some clothes. We have 1 for T, 1 for F, a few for us and 2 for the house. It has made everything LOOK better, even when it is not. And it is more manageable to keep up on the laundry because it is all presorted in the hampers.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

Quote Originally Posted by lizajane View Post
    i can't believe i thought i even deserved to open a thread addressed at organized people... i bought a label maker. about 2 years ago. i still haven't put batteries in it.

ha.
    liza.... i think we were separated at birth.

m448 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I do have a label maker but mostly break it out for permanent storage (like those spice tins I keep on my fridge and my baking containers for flours/ingredients. For leftovers I keep a roll of wide masking tape and a sharpie in my kitchen drawer right next to the stove. I just label what's in it and the date it was stored.

For art projects I keep a picture line on their room to hold current/beloved items. Once we need room for more I take a pic of them holding it up and recycling. In the future I might mail them to grandparents or use them as wrapping paper for kids and those same loving grandparents.

For the games you just have to make a choice. Find a basket where you could stand them up on end and easily get to them in the kitchen or in the meantime live with them in a less than ideal place. I understand though. There are some hot spots in my home now that are not being resolved until I find something suitable and affordable on craigslist.

For mail that goes in hubby's office. That's his domain. I've helped him reorganize it but only when asked as it really has to be set up by the puppet master (aka user LOL). But he doesn't try to reorganize my sewing room either.

For school stuff you could do what I did for their "school supplies" (we homeschool so it's their crayons, markers, scissors, case, notebook, tape, etc.) and designate a stand or bookshelf with a bin or basket for each child. That way there's no excuse and their stuff has a home. I also luuuurve those command hooks. I bought some metal looking ones and hung them up at their height for their winter coats. I did the same in their rooms for their backpacks (which double as firefighter pretend and for actual going out).
    Herding my flock of 4 kids, all 12 and under.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Haven't gotten to read all the posts, but I skimmed and saw that someone asked about mail. After reading that Julie Morganstern book (LOVE IT!!!!)
    I created this system for mail/incoming papers in my classroom. I set it up here at home too!

Get these large magazine files (got mine at Walmart) http://www.buyonlinenow.com/viewitem...B40614ROS&gb=1 Involve DH in the process so he has some ownership/understanding/pride in it.

set up a mail center with them:
    one for You - with 5x7 index cards decorating the front with huge letters
    one for DH
    one for junk mail/recyclable stuff
    one for magazines you may read
    one for stuff to give to other people

Find some space where you can put them at eye or hand level. Ours are on a shelf in the coat closet where we naturally go when we come in. It has been working WONDERFULLY for almost 6 years now. I only deal with the incoming mail (unless it is something handwritten/important/personal) maybe once a week. All bills go into DH's and he's better about checking in his box on a more routine basis. He knows all bills are there and stay there until he tosses them.

I am in no way qualified to respond in this thread, but I'm learning how to be more organized and this is one thing that has REALLY worked here.

ETA: I got one of the desk apprentice things from Staples after reading about it here, and it has effectively tamed the paper monster that was hovering around our kitchen table - stuff that wasn't really mail-related, that I needed during the week - coupons, babysitting co-op lists, incoming papers for DC from church, thank you notes, random pictures, receipts, meal planning info, address labels, stamps, etc. We have no office, so everything has to be handy and in view.
    i can say that for mail, we also have "mail boxes" for me and for DH. so for all of you out there who are thinking BUT WHERE WOULD I PUT ONE- here is what we did:

i got PRETTY mail slots/holders/thingamagigs and hung them RIGHT by the front door. it looks like decoration AND it holds the mail. it hands on the wall so it never gets knocked over or in the way.
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

Quote Originally Posted by bethie_73 View Post
    liza.... i think we were separated at birth.
    wanna come over and play? and no, none of you organized people are invited. just bethie.

(FYI: i was really organized. and then i had kids. and now i am the messiest person i know.)
    Liza has been hangin' around this board for six years.

My sons are 4 and 6. And they are very loud.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nupe View Post
    I have a label maker too. And I used to use it. I have nicely labeled tupperware for many pantry staples. But sometimes the label is too long to fit the item, then I have to reprint in another font, etc. So for pantry items, I now label with PostIt Tabs (red ones from costco.com nowadays)! I had been using them to label EBM for daycare, so they were already in my kitchen. Just write with a ball point pen and it is ready in a few seconds. No batteries required. I even use them in my fridge to label foods/dates, etc. They stick pretty well and I haven't had trouble with residue yet!
    I love the post it idea - I never remember what's in the containers in the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    The mail and school papers are my downfall.

Our problem is DH and I are responsible for separate sections of the mail. He does all the bills and there is no system. So they pile up until he gets to them. And he takes any suggestion of having a system as a personal affront.
    Are we married to the same man?

Papers are the downfall in my house as well. I have a hard time getting rid of things I think I might need at some point.
    Daniele
    mama to
    dd1 watching over her brothers and sister from Heaven
    ds1 13 years old
    dd2 10 years old
    ds2 6 years old
    Placenta Increta/c-hyst survivor

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizajane View Post
    i can't believe i thought i even deserved to open a thread addressed at organized people... i bought a label maker. about 2 years ago. i still haven't put batteries in it.

ha.
    I bought a label maker in October and haven't seen it since. I don't think I even used it. No clue where it is. Everytime I open up some random bag of stuff I gathered up from the car or dining room table I hope I'll find it but that hasn't happened yet. I'm starting to wonder if I am dreaming that bought a label maker. I don't think the house is so bad off that something like that would just have disappeared.

Beth

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I had a friend who was super organized. She basically had EVERYTHING labeled in some sort of container or in a basket (and I'm not talking normal baskets, but those mega expensive longaberger baskets). I envied her for her organization, BUT she was almost obsessive compulsive, one of those ppl who can't sit, she always had to be doing something, kwim? This was a woman who would vacuum her entire house EVERY day. I will never, in a million yrs vacuum my house every day, even if I was bored silly, it's just not something that will ever happen...
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast