Default Grilled cheese keep sticking to the pan!

I mean, it's pretty bad. They don't even resemble sandwiches at all.
    I make it the same way I always have since childhood: butter both sides of each piece of bread, put cheese in the middle, fry it on medium in a skillet, watch it closely. But lately, they have been sticking to the pan, so I have taken to spraying Pam on the pan first. Doesn't help.

So why is it sticking??

1) Is the inside butter (or margarine) overkill? Does it weaken the bread?
    2) Is it the cheese? Kraft singles were on sale & they are easier but perhaps they melt faster than the self-sliced brick cheese I had been using. Dunno, it seems like the singles are the "classic" way of doing it, and I don't how that would have anything to do with it anyway.
    3) Is it the bread? DH prefers multigrain, but I'm usually the one to buy it and DD & I like the Sara Lee whole grain white. I'm thinking it's too light and spongy and the cheese leaks through and that makes it stick. Seems the most plausible to me, but I hate to switch breads or buy two kinds just for the occasional grilled cheese.
    4) Maybe some combination of the above??
    5) Should I not be preheating the pan? Cook it higher or lower?
    6) Do I just need new pans? We got these (Circulon) from our wedding more than 3 years ago. I soooo cannot afford new pans.

TIA!
    -Sara

DD- Veronica, 6/26/06 future astronaut/ princess
    DS- Oliver, 5/1/09 looking spiffy in his DOCband

Hmmm...well, it should not be the cheese. I've used all different types, most often the Singles, and none of them have stuck.

I don't think the bread matters either. I've used different kinds with no problems.

My best guess would be preheating is making the pan too hot. Even that shouldn't matter too much, but that is what I would change first. I never preheat the pan, fwiw.

Good luck...that's an odd problem!

Christina

I am not sure why it's sticking but what you're doing sounds very similar to what I do, except I always use multigrain. What type of pan do you have? If you're using a teflon coated pan and the teflon is scratched or wearing out that might cause some sticking. I use a stainless pan or ceramic coated cast iron, and turn it up just shy of medium. Butter only, no Pam. I use various types of cheeses including Kraft and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Also, you can do them in the oven with the broiler on a cookie sheet. Prepare the sandwich as usual, put on the highest rack and turn the dial to broil. Keep the door open to watch. It's fairly fast (you have to flip the sandwich a few times as it browns) and keeps it from getting that "soggy" look that you sometimes get in the frying pan. HTH!

I LOVE grilled cheese...I could eat it every day!
    DS, Summer '07

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." ~Jack Layton

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

When I make gc I spray pan with pam, then melt a pat of butter, then put assembled sandwich into pan. No butter on the bread. Medium heat (I allow it to preheat a few minutes). I've always done it this way, in all types of pans, with all types of bread and cheese. Even plain old stainless. Never stuck.

Maybe your heat is too high? Do other things stick? Try it in a different pan, or even saucepan from the set to see if it happens. Weird....
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If you have a Foreman Grill make the sandwiches in there. They always come out just right.

Beth

my circulon pan is doing the same thing lately. we are having the problem with eggs, we don't cook grilled cheese that often. now i will try.

i think that i have used the heck out of it. i'm buying a new one this weekend. so funny that you are in the same position. the non stick has slightly, i mean slightly, worn off in the center of the pan. sounds like it's possible.

i saw a circulon 10" skillet at homegoods for 12.99 this past weekend. that's where i'm headed.
    neeley

Well thank you for all your suggestions! I suspect it is that particular pan, but I will try different things until we get it right. I just love grilled cheese, especially with chili or tomato soup. Simple things in life, huh?
    I'll let ya know what works!
    -Sara

DD- Veronica, 6/26/06 future astronaut/ princess
    DS- Oliver, 5/1/09 looking spiffy in his DOCband