Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Vacation idea (w/ infant and toddler)

There seem to be so many good travel deals right now and DH has the traveling itch. But, we have a 2 1/2 yr. old and a 3 mos. old. Any ideas on an infant friendly trip? We live in PA and did the Jersey shore last summer, so are looking for something a bit different. We'd love to eventually do a nice trip to DisneyWorld, but wanted to wait til both the kids were old enough to fully enjoy it. I thought we could get by with just doing a few day trips this summer (National Zoo, Hershey Park, Crayola World, Sesame Place, etc.) but hubby really wants to get away for a week or so. We've been looking at cruises, but the only ones that seem truly infant friendly are the Disney ones. Any other ideas?

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Kijip posted (her thread is still on this page, about halfway down - title Family vacation with infant or something like that) this question recently and got some great responses!

What time of year? How far do you want to go? what kind of vacation do you like? city, beach, mountain, active, laid back?

Yeah, I looked at that post too, but alot of the options seemed to be for the West Coast. Guess I was trying to think of something a bit closer to home, so looking more on the east coast.

Time of year, I guess could pretty much be anytime, although I think DH was leaning towards around August (not sure why). And the less expensive the better. DH would love to travel outside of the country, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with taking two little ones too far away from home! Traveling with my toddler DD isn't a problem at all really, just not sure what travel with an infant will be like, as we normally only do car trips a few hours from home....

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, I am not a cruise person, so no help there!

If you want beaches (check hurricane season, etc)... Turks and Caicos are supposed to be family friendly.

NC Outer Banks , Kiawah, Savannah, Charleston, Hilton Head, various islands off the coast of Georgia, whose names escape me! (St Simon's maybe)

cities - DC, NYC, Atlanta, Chicago, new orleans

Gatlinburg or Asheville for mountains.

Further north like Maine? or canada? might be more pleasant in August than areas in the south.

I am not really all that familiar with the east coast!

The way I look at it - with kids that young, the trip is about you and dh. It is easiest imo, to have a direct flight (preferably not too long) or a car ride. I prefer renting a house or condo or a suite type hotel.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Don't count out the cruises. They could still be an option for you. Just because your little one will be too little to take part in the kids programs doesn't mean your 3 year old wouldn't have a fantastic time! You would most likely be entertaining your little one most if not all of the time on any vacation you go on.... so this would just be on a floating hotel!

Royal Caribbean has times when parents and babies can take part in classes together.

Fisher Price Playgroups
    Join your 6- to 36-month-old in the fun of Fisher-Price Aqua Babies and Aqua Tots, interactive playgroup sessions developed by early childhood experts at Fisher-Price. Each 45-minute session offers age-appropriate activities that expose children to new experiences while seamlessly combining playtime with learning time. Learn more about Fisher-Price playgroups.

If you want to stay on land there is always Club Med... they have one down in Florida and they recently completed full renovations at the Ixtapa location in Mexico. There's also Punta Cana in the Dominican Repubilic. They have childrens programs for babies 4 months and up. It would enable you and DH to get a little relaxation/alone time! I just read on their website... something about stay 7 nights and your children stay free!!!!

club med in punta cana was beautiful! brand new facilities for the babies!
    they were renovating the rest of the club med dec 07, so it's most likely done or close to being done
    ~laura in miami~
    ds1 7/03
    ds2 7/06
    Welcome/Intro to Infantreflux (I'm a Mod)

bnme is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We just went skiing in Vermont and the resort we were at also does summer vacations. We will likely go there this summer. It was so beautiful and peaceful. It was also very family oriented. They have 'day camps' and activities for the kids if you want some adult time. You can go hiking, canoe on the lake, play tennis etc. Then drive to town for some local shopping & attractions. Very different from any vacation I've ever taken (usually beach or WDW) but we think it seems like something we'd enjoy.
    Donna

Mom to JT 1/03 and TJ 8/04

Thanks for all the ideas! DH was actually seriously looking at Beaches resorts in Jamaica last night. I'm a bit hesitant about leaving the baby in child care while on vacation though (OK, I'm the paranoid SAHM and rarely without the baby)...I also think I would be stressed out trying to fly with two little ones....

DH was thinking of August as his thoughts were the later we go, the older the baby will be and it will be easier to travel with her (she'd be 9 mos. in August). For anybody that's done this, I'd appreciate any tips!

Another option may be to travel to the beach with my in-laws, then we'd have built in baby-sitters when DH and I wanted to do thing alone (and they'd help pay for a beach house and meals!)

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bnme View Post
    We just went skiing in Vermont and the resort we were at also does summer vacations. We will likely go there this summer. It was so beautiful and peaceful. It was also very family oriented. They have 'day camps' and activities for the kids if you want some adult time. You can go hiking, canoe on the lake, play tennis etc. Then drive to town for some local shopping & attractions. Very different from any vacation I've ever taken (usually beach or WDW) but we think it seems like something we'd enjoy.
    Do you mind my asking the name of the resort?

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Isn't late summer/fall hurricane season for the Caribbean?? I would avoid that.

We recently went to Maui and had a GREAT time. Its a long way for you, though.

The Canadian Maritimes are supposedly beautiful in the late summer/early fall, though its not like going to Beaches, LOL. There won't be any snow then, though.

I've heard great things about Club Med Sandpiper in FL. Gatorsmom went there IIRC. If it wasn't so far for us, we would have gone when DD#2 was a baby. I just wasn't into a 7+ hour flight plus connections.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast