Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Crib tents to keep cats out?

I have three cats (and three dogs busy house!) and am going to have a baby in october. I need tips for keeping the cats out of the crib. I know, keep the door closed. Mine like to hide under things like most cats. I had read about crib tents. Do they work? Are they safe? Thanks all in advance, Heather

I'm interested in this topic too. So far we've just been keeping all the bedroom doors closed. We have multiple cats. I miss napping with cats.

On Amazon, there are reviews of the Tots in Mind Cozy Crib Tent http://www.amazon.com/Tots-Mind-Cozy...6194075&sr=8-1

I've never seen it in person or know of anyone who actually has used one.
    DS 9/08

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We didn't do a crib tent, but we put a screen door in (yes, inside our house!). We had a hallway that led to the bedrooms that we used it on, but you could replace a bedroom door with it. It allows the air to circulate, sound to travel. Ours didn't latch, so if a cat got stuck on the wrong side, they could push their way out. It was a white one with screen and really didn't look all that terrible. Yes, a little odd, and we did get a few comments, but honestly I loved it.

A lot of people do love their crib tents though!

elektra is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We used a gate (1 cat, 2 dogs) across DD's doorway combined with just closing the door. The gate was more for the dogs, as I think the cat could have technically just jumped right over it if she really wanted to but she never did.
    DD
    DS

Default Crib tents to keep cats out.

We use baby gates currently to keep the puppy out of the cat litter... so thats out lol. The cats know how to get over them fine. I've thought about just keeping the door closed but their very sneaky if they want to be somewhere. I'm going to try and eliminate hiding spots in the room as much as possible. I have thought about a scat mat too. Its a mat that when they jump on it gives off a vibration and a noise to discourage them from being on that surface. We would put it in the crib a few months before the baby is born and when they jump in the crib they would get the vibration. Crib tent just seems like extra protection.

Along the same lines as a scat mat but cheaper, we did sheets of tinfoil in the crib, bassinet, etc. for a couple of months before DS was born. That worked on my scaredy cat, who doesn't like any unexpected noise.
    Jessica
    DS 4/06 My Buckaroo "Let's listen to some rockin' out music that's swingy with a beat!"
    DD 3/09 My Sunshine

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We use a Crib Tent II, but just to keep the kids from climbing in/out of the crib (no cats) and have had no problems with it. If you get one, check on if you can use it with the mattress in the higher positions. The II has mesh all around the inside, so I don't think you can with that one, but the original would not prevent them from reaching through the bars if that is a concern.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

I'll have to try the tin foil then. Scat mats are about 30 bucks. But if I can save that 30 bucks by putting some tin foil down. It's defintely worth it. Maybe that combined with a water bottle will work. Cats hate being sprayed with a water bottle. If not I guess I can always get the crib tent.

emschwar is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by justincase View Post
    Along the same lines as a scat mat but cheaper, we did sheets of tinfoil in the crib, bassinet, etc. for a couple of months before DS was born. That worked on my scaredy cat, who doesn't like any unexpected noise.
    empty, cleaned soda cans are another option

I'm rather taken with the indoor screen door idea, but I doubt my husband will go for it.
    DS 9/08

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast