Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I don't see mine going for it either. I will try the tin foil though. Be my luck that one of the cats would love it.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Do you think they will try to get in the crib??? You might wait and see first if it's an issue....the old wives tales about cats taking away a baby's breath is just that I haven't heard of many cats wanting to be anywhere near a new baby who has completely destroyed their tranquil lifestyle!!!

We have the original to keep DS in the crib. I don't think you'd need the one with the mesh all the way done, personally with a little one who is in and out of the crib multiple times for naps etc I'd wait and see if you need to add an extra step to your day (it take a few seconds but every second counts with a newborn in your life!)

While browsing Kidsurplus.com, I saw they have the Original Cozy Crib tent for $53.19. There's 99 cent shipping for orders above $49 until 3/6/09, code is on their homepage.

Crib Tent http://www.kidsurplus.com/itemDetail...earch-true.asp
    DS 9/08

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My cats did not want to be anywhere near my DC when they were newborns. Sure, they checked out and napped in every single piece baby gear that came through the door, but if the baby was already sleeping in the crib, they didn't want to have anything to do with it.

I'd wait until your DC is home before spending money on something.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Do you think they will try to get in the crib??? You might wait and see first if it's an issue....the old wives tales about cats taking away a baby's breath is just that I haven't heard of many cats wanting to be anywhere near a new baby who has completely destroyed their tranquil lifestyle!!!

We have the original to keep DS in the crib. I don't think you'd need the one with the mesh all the way done, personally with a little one who is in and out of the crib multiple times for naps etc I'd wait and see if you need to add an extra step to your day (it take a few seconds but every second counts with a newborn in your life!)

Yeah I really do think they'll get into the crib at least one of them I know will. She's fearless. She's actually intrigued by things like crying screaming babies etc. I have 3 cats and only one of them is skittish. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Train them to stay away while using the crib tent, and slowly quit using it. No I didn't plan on getting the one that goes all way down and stuff.

Default Cats and baby furniture

We're also debating what to do about cats and baby cribs (expecting our first human child, have 4 cats). We tried foil in the crib for a while, but the cats didn't mind it a bit.

Our vet recommended emptying out and cleaning soda cans and putting something in them to bang/rattle if they get knocked around. This is supposed to scare them. We're going to be trying that before baby comes home to train them.

The cat that I'm most worried about (oreo) is fearless, she likes things that make loud/strange noises. I trained my other two cats with a squirt bottle of water, I just have to reach for it and they run. Oreo on the other hand just gives a mental shrug and continues doing what she's doing... She could care less... It's gonna be a challange. I'll try the soda cans though... maybe I can find something really weird sounding.

mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have the Tots in Mind crib tent. We have two cats and it has served its purpose for us. One cat never had and still has no interest in the crib, whether the baby is in it or not. Our other cat made a habit out of sleeping in the crib when it was first put up before the baby arrived. Putting the crib tent on before the birth kept her out and made her understand that it was not her bed.

Since the baby has been here, the cat has jumped on top of the crib tent a few times while the baby is in the crib, usually when I am trying to get the baby to sleep and the cat wants my attention. The cat shows absolutely no interest in actually jumping into the crib with the baby (she's still a little scared of him). Given this, we normally leave it unzipped when the baby is in the crib for easier access and so that the noise of zipping it doesn't wake him up and only zip the tent during the day when the baby is not in the crib, so that the cat does not reclaim it as her bed.

Overall, I'd recommend this product.

I appreciate your responding. I'll look for it. Where did you get yours? Thank you Heather

MCsMom is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

We have 2 cats and we bought 2 tents, one for the co-sleeper and one for DD's actual crib.
    Ended up returning the one for the crib but had to keep the co-sleeper one because I got rid of all the packaging.
    We never needed either tent because the cats just would not go near the baby. DD slept with us in our room in her co-sleeper. The cats sometimes on our bed with us. They would go over and sniff the co-sleeper but they never jumped in there.
    DD sleeps in her crib in her room now and I can shut the door.
    Am surprised really because our male cat is always jumping up on things. Maybe the baby just freaks him out :-)
    Hope that helps...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast