Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    missym is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Default Babywearing 101 - Information and Resources

This thread has been rebuilt from its original version. If you have links to add to the list, please send me a PM. Please feel free to reply to the thread with helpful information for parents new to babywearing!

Many thanks to Aija (quikeye) for creating the original thread.

================================

BABYWEARING RESOURCES:

http://www.thebabywearer.com

http://groups.yahoo.com/babywearing

http://groups.yahoo.com/babywearingSWAP

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=245

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/t051100.asp
    Missy
    Mom to DD1 '03 and DD2 '05

Default Where can I buy a carrier?

These sites have been recommended by our community members. Some of these are sites you can buy directly from the WAHM/vendors, and some are pages about the carriers themselves (you'll have to buy from somewhere else).

POUCHES:
    www.momandmepouch.com (currently not taking orders except via eBay, but she has a great instructions page that gives you an idea how to use pouches)
    www.chicpapoose.com
    www.hotslings.com
    www.kangarookorner.com
    www.tentoes.com
    www.mammasmilk.com
    www.mayawrap.com

SLINGS:
    www.sleepingbaby.net/slings.html
    www.zolowear.com - site also has instructional videos
    www.mayawrap.com

WRAPS:
    www.mobywrap.com
    www.hug-a-bub.com.au
    www.ellaroo.com
    www.mamatoto.org
    www.cottoncradles.com
    www.wrapnwear.com

MEI TAI's/Asian baby carriers (ABC):
    www.kozycarrier.com
    www.freewebs.com/freehand
    www.sachicarriers.com
    www.doodlebugcarriers.com
    www.cottoncradles.com

UNSTRUCTURED CARRIERS:
    www.ergocarrier.com
    www.sutemigear.com

OTHER COMMERCIAL CARRIERS:
    www.newnativebaby.com
    www.nojo.com
    www.babybjorn.com

ONE STOP SHOPPING VENDOR:
    www.peppermint.com
    Last edited by missym; 03-04-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Default Pouches

Posted by quikeye - 02-24-2005

Pouches are my favorite, just to let you know of my bias here. They are simple, lightweight, have no excess fabric, have a very easy learning curve, and can be used from newborn to toddler (the same pouch).

They are basically a swatch of fabric, doubled over to create a pouch for babe to sit in. The fabric can be made of cotton, fleece (hemp or malden mills/polarfleece), solarveil (a meshy type fabric with UV blocking properties), silk/satin brocade... anything with enough staying power to keep babe in and tight against you.

Cotton will be more forgiving in hot weather than fleece, but the fleece fabrics seem to get more of a "comfortable" approval from mamis on the list that I've read. Fleece also has more "give" and stretch than cotton, another plus. So don't discount purchasing a fleece sling solely based on the weather-- I have comfortably worn my hemp fleece slings for most of the months of the year with no discomfort. The cotton will be thinner & easier to pack in a diaper bag compared to a fleece sling.

Pouches can either be adjustable or non-adjustable. An adjustable sling will be able to be tightened or loosened against your body by using snaps or zippers, depending on the pouch. An adjustable pouch will serve a range of sizes, so you and your partner could very well use the same carrier even if you have 2 different body types. An adjustable pouch also gives the wearer the option to make the pouch bigger or smaller depending on baby's needs and growth; a newborn lying down in a pouch will take more room than a baby in a hip carry will. An adjustable pouch is also more forgiving on the varying sizes of a mami's bust after pregnancy

A non adjustable pouch is generally made within certain bust and torso size specifications, in order to make it as well-fitting as possible. The better a fit the sling has, the more comfortable it will be; so it is important to have a proper fit. Some WAHM's also make custom to your size pouches, as well. Non adustable pouches are as simple and as sleek as you can get, with no extra snaps bumping your back and a very aerodynamic look

It is possible to wear a non adjustable sling from newbornhood to toddlerhood, (I did it with my chic papoose)-- though it may be easier to do so with an adjustable pouch.

Pouches are very easy to learn to use, and are easy to get baby in and out of. Generally you should not need any help getting babe into any position. It may take some tries to work it, but once you get the hang of it you can pop babe into a pouch anywhere.

Lots of mamis like the "poppability" factor of a pouch-- just "pop" babe in and out, no tying or wrapping required. This is great for quick jaunts, when travelling thru airport security, and getting a crying baby into a carry as soon as possible.

They are also very nice for newborns as babe can be carried "cradle"/lying down; I could rely on my pouch to get babe to nap in when he was 1st born... we called it the "miracle pouch" around here.

Please add more info about pouches by replying to this post!
    Last edited by missym; 03-04-2009 at 04:52 PM.

Default Ring slings

Ring slings are just that, a carrier that uses a ring to adjust itself. Basically a ring sling is a long swatch of fabric, doubled over and whose end is threaded thru a set of rings (metal, plastic). This closes the pouch off, tightens it against the body, and makes the entire sling adjustable.
    Both the front rail (the piece of fabric AWAY from you, that holds babe IN) and the back rail (the piece of fabric against yor body) are adjustable by using the rings. This means a VERY good fit for any size baby or mami. Also, by being able to independently adjust the back rail on a sling, it makes nursing inside easier (you are able to pull down the inside rail while keeping the outer rail pulled up for privacy).

There is extra fabric that hangs from the rings after you've adjusted them, which is called a "tail". A tail is great as it can serve as an extra coverup for nursing, and some slings come with a built in zippered pocket here where you could store keys, an extra dipe, etc. Also great for peekaboo sessions.

The adjustability of the ring sling means that different sized people can easily use the same sling, and that baby can be worn from newborn to toddler with very little hassle.

Slings are often judged on their comfort by the TYPE of shoulder they purport to have. There are 2 types of shoulders on a ring sling: fanned and pleated. A fanned shoulder will spread the fabric more evenly across the shoulder than a non fanned shoulder. A pleated shoulder will look trimmer and not as spread as the fanned shoulder. Do a little reading on the differences-- many have opinions on the best types of shoulder for ring slings.

Slings can be made from lots of fabrics-- cotton, silk brocade, etc. I can't think of a fleece RS off the top of my head...

Please feel free to add anything about RING SLINGS by replying to this post! Thanks
    Missy

Default Wraps

Posted by npace19147 - 03-04-2005

The most popular stretchy wraps are the Moby and the Hug-a-Bub. The Moby is similar to t-shirt material and is less expensive; the hug-a-bub is a thinner, lighter weight fabric and is more expensive. Both of these carriers are excellent with newborns and young babies. Although they are both usable up to about 35lbs or so, my personal experience was that once DD got above 10lbs or so she started to stretch the material out enough so that it wasn't comfortable and needed constant readjusting.

There are many woven wraps that seem to solve the stretching out problem. The most popular are the Storchenwiege, the Didymos, Girasol and Ellaroo. The Girasol is the heaviest and the Ellaroo is the lightest and best for summer use. The Storch and the Didy are fairly similar, but each has its own following. Both are made of organic cotton and come in many different sizes.

A wrap can be used over both shoulders and spreads out the baby's weight most evenly. People who love them swear by them, but a main consideration is how you feel about dealing with that much fabric; wraps range in length from 2.7 meters (rebozo length, can only do limited types of carries) to 6 meters (can do all carries but you may wind up with a *lot* of fabric left over) with many sizes in between. Some people feel the love, and others just don't.

A great source of information on wraps is www.mamatoto.org, which has information on making your own wrap and many instructions and videos of how to use a wrap.

Happy wrapping!
    Last edited by missym; 03-04-2009 at 04:48 PM.

Default Mei tai, asian baby carriers (abc)

A mei tai, ABC, etc sling is based on the traditional asian baby carrier-- it is a rectangle sized piece of fabric with 4 long strips of fabric (straps) sewn onto the corners. That's the basic of it. The 2 straps closest to the waist are tied together while the top straps are either crossed in front or worn rucksack style (when wearing baby on your back), or crossed across your back when wearing babe on your front.

The ABCs take a little getting used to, as you have to learn to tie and get babe nicely situated inside. It takes a little more work than the pouch/single shouldered carriers, but the abc's have some great pluses:

* Many say that abc's are more comfortable, ESPECIALLY for larger babes. The abc distributes weight across your weight with the bottom straps and also across 2 shoulders instead of one like a sling.

* Babe can easily be worn on the back, freeing up your range of mobility as far as your arms are concerned. It is possible for babe to be worn on the back in a sling, but a babe on the back in an abc is securely tied in & not going anywhere.

* Since they are tie on, they have a large range of sizes-- so 2 people could wear the same carrier no problem.

A few drawbacks to the ABC style:

* Takes more getting used to than a sling, at least in my opinion. Tying is important, and I didn't feel comfortable getting it on outside of the house like I did with my pouches.

* Timing. It takes longer to physically put one on, which is a HUGE deal if you ahve a crying baby, esp one who fights you to get in.

* Not great for babes with little to no head control. This is solely MY opinion, as I know there are mamis who've used abc's for babes under 4 months. Mine had his head lolling around and resting/staybg still against the shoulder strap, which I didn't like. Also, young ones have to be worn with their feet tucked in against you, since they arent large enough to have their legs wrap around your torso, so it can be uncomfortable for some.

Please feel free to add anything about ABC's by replying to this post! Thanks

Default Structured baby carriers

These types of carriers (such as Ergo & Sutemi) have snaps/buckles and preformed pockets/straps for babe, and are "structured" as compared to a more free-flowing sling or pouches.

These types resemble a mei-tai asian baby carrier, in that they often secure at the waist and over the shoulders. They will often have buckles instead of straps that you tie together, making them look a little more "commercial" than other abc's may. The straps are often padded for comfort.

As with abc's, babe's head control should be taken into consideration (but not necessarily dissuade you) when buying a structured baby carrier. This is because babe will be held vertically, and will need some sort of support for "floppy baby head".

As the carriers are made en masse for a certain body type, some mamis have problems with a perfect fit (their torso may be too long or too short, the waist strap may hit above or below the waist, etc). Perfect fit is essential for proper baby wearing, as a bad fit means a bad/sore back and shoulders. But, many many mamis love their structured baby carriers!

As they look a little more "commercial" and have fewer ties/adjustments that need to be made (as compared to an abc), it seems more papis gravitate towards this style of carrier if they have already rejected pouches/slings/abc's. They also may fit the style of a mami who is not looking for something handmade/looking for something commercial, but supportive and a good product.

Structured carriers may come with extra options like a head cover to support/cover babe's head when thye fall asleep inside, a pouch on the front to carry soft things against/near babe like dipes/wipes, cell phone holders, etc.

Since they are often padded, they are less able to be stuffed into a diaper bag. But, as their shape lends the baby's weight to be dispersed across both shoulders & the waist of the wearer, it may be a good choice for long walks and/or mamis with older babies who may feel discomfort holding an older babe (or any babe) for long periods of time.

Please feel free to add anything about STRUCTURED BABY CARRIERS by replying to this post! Thanks
    Missy

Default What is the best carrier for a newborn?

What is the best carrier for a newborn?

IMO, the best sling for a newborn is a pouch style or a ring sling; I never liked using the asian baby carriers for my little one when he didn't have head support. Wraps are also supposedly great (never used one, yet). I'll talk about the pouches & ring slings:

To decide btw them-- take a look @ the differences... There's both the look of the carrier (ring slings have rings, extra fabric; pouches are trimmer to the body but don't have the adjustability of both the rails like a ring sling does-- even though pouches are adjustable & I've found them to be adequate for me), as well as adjustability of each. And of course fabrics/materials.

The body type (over one shoulder, around the body) is pretty much the same for both-- although if you choose a RS, you'll want to read up on "shoulder styles" (will the shoulder of the RS be pleated or not, fanned, etc... if you choose a RS, you may want to find out which ones have what type of shoulder, and do a search in these forums or on another babywearing board about shoulder types)... Some pouches have a "trimmer" shoulder, meaning there is less fabric going over the shoulder cap & onto the top part of your arm-- I prefer the trimmer shoulder of my Mom and Me to the wider shoulder of the KKAFP, but that's just my opinion.

I think that with a ring sling nursing will be more discreet, if not easier as well. (Hypothetically speaking, since I haven't actually used one). A RS will have the extra tail fabric to cover you up, and you'll be able to easily loosen the RS to gain more room for babe to nurse in. I used my mom and me (MnM) for nursing but didn't quite like it-- I found it too difficult to do on a regular basis (I just take him out to nurse discreetly). But, adjusting an adjustable pouch is more difficult than adjustaing a RS-- since the snaps will be in the back. (Except the new adjustable pouch by zolowear.com ... those look cool!) I also tried nursing him in the MnM when he was only 5 weeks old-- I may have more luck now since I don't need to support his head/my breast like I used to.

Head support will be easy in both a RS & a pouch-- a pouch can be offered with "rails" (an extra, thin layer of padding around the edges of the pouch for extra support)-- I often used the rails of my MnM to hold ds' head up when ds was "sitting"/reclining in the pouch but didn't have great head control yet. I don't think RS' have rails, maybe a custom one would. But both will offer more than adequate support for a newborn's floppy head up to a hip carry for an older babe.

Both will be easy on-easy/off-easy, both will hold babe high & tight to your chest His size probably won't matter with these style of slings; for now, babe will be totally inside a sling & unless he was physically too long to be inside, I don't imagine it would be a problem for any of these.
    A great article on pouches v. ring slings:
    http://www.thebabywearer.com/article...sAndSlings.htm

When my son was new we used a pouch-style sling. It is really easy to use, really little learning curve, and can hold babe in a "cradle" hold that mine especially loved to sleep in (we called it the miracle pouch-- super fussy going in and sleeping within minutes.) I still love my pouches since they're so easy to get on and babe in; when I know he's going to have a meltdown I always reach for the pouches 1st (going to the ped for shots, etc...) Also when he was fussy I could just throw it on and go-- nothing to tie on.

*Some brands to look at: Mom-and-me pouch (MnM), Kangaroo korner adjustable fleece/cotton pouch (kkafp/kkacp), Hotsling, Chic Papoose, Maya wrap adjustable pouch, Tentoes pouch, Zolo adjustable pouch, Mamma's milk pouch...

A ring sling is also along the same lines, but a little different style (instead of being adjustable by snaps or zippers, a ring sling is tightened by using a metal/nylon ring where the fabric is pulled taut and can bring the size and position of the sling up.) I never took to the style/fabric of the ring slings, so I don't really know 1sthand about them... but a LOT of people love theirs.

*Zolo ring sing, Rev. Jan's ring slings, Maya wrap sling...
    A wrap may be another option-- a long piece of fabric with stretch/give is wrapped around the body and babe is wrapped inside Too cute! I haven't tried one yet, but they look super supportive (necessary for a newborn's floppy head).

*Hug-a-bub, Ellaroo, Moby wrap, Didymos, Girasol, Storwichen (sp?), Rebozo (generic name)...

These all can be used past newborn-hood. We moved from our cradle hold to a semi-cradle/semi-sitting up, to kangaroo carry with the pouch. (You can make the same transition with the above slings as well, and then move on to a hip carry as well. Though I don't know how good a wrap would be for a hip carry...? Perhaps wraps are better for newer babes? Don't have one *yet* so I can't speculate...)

There's also an abc (asian baby carrier)-- I didn't use my abc until ds had some head control (4 months). When I tried him in earlier, he didn't like having to both face me and have his legs scrunched up/buddha style inside the abc-- and his head would still wobble even with the material holding his head from behind and would sometimes droop against the straps. For me I didn't like it with a new babe, but some moms/dads do like them and use them w/ new babes.

*Kozy carrier, Freehand carrier, Podegi (generic name), onbuhimo (generic name), "ABC"/mei tai (generic name)...

My suggestion is to decide what type of carrier appeals to you initially, and then decide which maker of the carrier you like. (My example-- I knew I wanted/liked pouches best by the way they looked & appealed to my personal taste, so I decided to buy a mom-and-me based on the reviews and Jen's great customer service/awesome product. I then bought a cotton pouch from chic papoose to compliment the different degrees of weather here, knowing I liked the type of carrier...) I never liked the ring slings much (too much fabric for me), so even though they are beautiful/comfortable/appropriate for a newborn thru toddler, I just never even looked @ them.

Please feel free to add anything about THE BEST CARRIER FOR A NEWBORN by replying to this post! Thanks

RE: What is the best carrier for a newborn?

Posted by sareva - 03-01-2005

I do recommend a wrap carrier for the child who wants/has to be upright. My DD had severe reflux and simply did not want to be in a sling or pouch despite many attempts. I received a Hug A Bub as a gift and followed the video instructions for a newborn. DD really took to it. She was born with a strong neck -- pretty much holding up her head from the start -- but I had her tucked in there so well that I don't think she would have had a problem had she not been able to hold up her head.

Just my 2 cents,
    Sarah
    Mom to Zoe
    =======================
    Last edited by missym; 03-04-2009 at 04:46 PM.

RE: WRAPS

Posted by carrie_geiger

The wraps made by GypsyMama are also popular.
    They have a stretch version that some consider to by a hybrid /b/ the stretchier wraps like Moby, Hug-a-Bub, CuddlyWrap and the non-stretch woven wraps. It's called "GypsyMama Bali Baby Stretch".
    They also have a gauze version that is not stretchy but is very light-weight for hot-weather wear. It's called "GypsyMama Bali Baby Breeze".
    I second the referrals to www.mamatoto.org and to www.thebabywearer.com as they both helped me research what wrap was best for me and how to use the wrap once I got it.
    ~Carrie
    ========================================
    Last edited by missym; 03-04-2009 at 04:45 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast