Default Wrong way to hold my baby??

DD is 2 1/2 months old. She likes being held facing forward. My right arm goes across her chest at armpit level and holds her securely to my chest. My left hand supports her tush.
    Is this a bad way to hold her? I ask because I've been reading about some controversies with carriers and whether babies should be facing forward and so I wonder if am doing something bad by holding her the way I do.
    Thanks for your advice!

Well, I think the forward facing thing for carriers has to with how the carrier forces their hips into a not so great position, doesn't it? So you aren't mimicking that with the way you hold her. I don't see an issue at all.

Catherine

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

The bjorn puts baby's weight at the crotch and too much of that isn't good. But what you're doing, no problem!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Your arms might get tired, but no harm to the baby

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The other reason why some people say forward-facing is less healthy is that baby gets over-stimulated. When they face out, they can't turn away from all that visual and social input. There isn't any harm for baby to spend some time like that, but not lots and lots.

Some forward carriers have good hip position for baby - butt lower than thighs, knees bent(I think). Ones like the Bjorn don't.

BayGirl2 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Uno-Mom View Post
    The other reason why some people say forward-facing is less healthy is that baby gets over-stimulated. When they face out, they can't turn away from all that visual and social input. There isn't any harm for baby to spend some time like that, but not lots and lots.

Some forward carriers have good hip position for baby - butt lower than thighs, knees bent(I think). Ones like the Bjorn don't.
    I've heard the overstimulated thing and I just don't buy it - but maybe it depends on the baby. DS LOVED facing out, and I think he benefited from the social interaction and stimulation. Some babies may be overwhelmed but I think you need to be attentive to your babies reactions and mood either way.

The suspended-by-the-crotch/hip issue is the only other reason I have heard. I sometimes see babies hanging in Bjorns and they look so uncomfortable.
    Amy

DS - June 2009
    DD - September 2011