Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Check out http://www.zagat.com/Search/Results....64&N=120&VID=8

Other great restaurants are:

Carderos
    Bishops
    Le Crocodile
    Umbertos and Il Giardino di Umberto

The best Szechuan in the city is on the East Side, called Szechuan Chongqing. Hands down the best -- its in a bit of a sketchy area, but well worth it. You can take the SkyTrain there.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Oooh, Pagliaci's in Victoria is one of my favourites!

Tea is not the same in Vancouver as Victoria. The Empress is by far the best-known, and is pricey to boot. In Vancouver, there's a place in Kerrisdale called the Secret Garden Tea Room, which is lovely and has high tea. Often very very busy, so you might want to see about making reservations. They often have tea parties for little girls, and showers and the like, so it isn't really formal, but is good.

I have lots of favourite restaurants. For seafood, A Kettle of Fish is excellent, and also convenient to downtown. The Cannery is tricky to get to, but is right on the port (which is why it is tricky to get there, and will have to move after the Olympics) and is also very good.

My favourite places for kids' stuff include TJs (for gear), Kaboodles (W 10th Ave, not far from UBC) and Toy Box (W Broadway in Kitsilano) for toys, and Kidsbooks (also W Broadway in Kitsilano). There are several baby/kid shops on W 4th, in one area there's Crocodile (which I avoid, because I don't like the attitude) and Hip Baby, and on 4th near MacDonald there are two other shops whose names I can't remember right now. If you go to Granville Island, go to the Kids' Market; toys, clothes, and all sorts of other stuff, all in specialty shops.

Just read the other replies. Bishop's is phenomenal! That's where I went to celebrate with my parents after my PhD convocation. The only other place that's ever compared is The Pointe at the Wickanninnish Inn in Tofino. (Ok, we ate there the night before we got engaged, so it also has a lot of emotional pull for me!)

For something casual, Sophie's Cosmic Cafe (on W4th) is classic. Moderne Burger (W Broadway at Larch) makes the best burgers, fries, shakes, and floats I've ever tasted; in fact, this morning I decided it had been too long since we were last there, and that's where we went out for lunch

Provence is another of our favourites. The original location is on W 10th, near UBC; there's another location in Yaletown, although I haven't been there. Also on W10th is Burgoo. In Yaletown, for somewhere trendy, try Glowbal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2