Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Afternoon tea in Vancouver?

I hear all sorts of great things about high tea in Victoria. Do they have the same sort of tradition in Vancouver? Where might be some good places? (This is an adults only vacation)

Also--what are some good Asian fusion places to eat in Vancouver? What about seafood (or can we just go to a "regular" restaurant and expect that there will be several offereings on the menu?)?

And...what is your favorite kids toy store and clothing store? We will have to bring back fun things of course. TIA!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Nope, "high tea" is a Victoria thing and pretty much only specific places in Victoria (The Empress is the main place, also some teahouses in Oak Bay such as The Blethering Place). DH says they *might* have tea in the Tea House at Stanley Park, but IIRC its more of a restaurant, not a "tea" like at the Empress (which, BTW, is very expensive, but worth it for the experience).

If you go to Victoria, make sure you go to Pagliaccis.

Not quite sure what Asian Fusion is -- of course, the highlight of my dining out these days is Red Robin. Vancouver has some of the best Asian restaurants on the planet (that comes from DH, BTW, who is reading over my shoulder). There is every type of Asian you could want -- Chinese, Scezhwan (sp?), Thai, Japanese, Vietnamese, etc.

You are staying on Robson St, right? THere are many wonderful restaurants on Robson street, within walking distance from the Palisades.

For seafood, well, pretty much anywhere has it in Vancouver. Just off Robson street on Thurlow is Joe Fortes. Its got great seafood and is about 2 -3 blocks easy walking from the Palisades. Across the street and in the basement from Joe Fortes is my fave sushi place. I can't remember the name [eta I think its Ichibankan], but if you want to go for lunch, go at 11:30 or after 1:30, as it is packed every.single.weekday. The sushi is made in front of you and travels around on a conveyor belt, you just take what you want (a buffet that comes to you). Its really great. Right on the corner of Robson & Thurlow are two Starbucks, if you need a fix.

CinCin is a great Italian restaurant on Robson close to Joe Fortes.

There really aren't any toy stores downtown, other than Sears or the Bay, neither of which have great toys. If you are up for a long walk (but doable) and ferry ride, you can go to Granville Island. THere is a Kids Market there and lots of toys there. There is also a huge TRU on Broadway, west of Oak (between Oak & Hemlock). Its just the regular TRU (though quite large, by our standards). The more unique stuff is at Granville Island. At the Kids Market in Granville Island is a shop called Kaboodles. They have a second location on 10th Avenue up near UBC which is larger and has a GREAT stock of Corolle dolls. There is also The Toybox on Broadway, west of Macdonald. Its quite a large, independent toystore -- probably the best selection of toys at an independent toystore in the Lower Mainland of BC. A bit pricey.

HTH
    Last edited by bubbaray; 03-07-2009 at 11:54 PM.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we値l change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

BTW, I would skip Chinatown. The restaurants are kinda sketchy there, there are better Asian restaurants in nicer areas of town.

DH says if its your first trip to Vancouver, you should go up to Grouse Mountain -- they have a nice restaurant at the top too.

There is a nice restaurant (Seasons in the Park) at Queen Elizabeth Park. There is also a nice restaurant at Van Dusen Gardens. And, if you are up for a longer drive to Burnaby, there is a restaurant called Horizons on Burnaby Mountain, which on a clear day has an absolutely SPECTACULAR view.
    Melissa

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we値l change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Are you up for Indian food? Vij's in the South Granville area (about 11th and Granville -- you would take a taxi from your hotel) is AMAZING.
    Melissa

Crapola, I forgot -- if you go to the Toybox (which is on Broadway near Macdonald), you MUST go to Topanga Cafe, which is a Mexican restaurant and IMO, it is the best Mexican I've had anywhere (travelled a lot in Mexico). It is on 4th Avenue, pretty much in the same block as THe ToyBox, but on 4th instead of Broadway. If you took a taxi to The Toybox, you could walk the 5 blocks -- Broadway is 9th Ave).

Also in the general area of Topanga Cafe are two great running stores -- LadySport (women's only) and right across the street is ForeRunners (both genders). They are west of Topanga on 4th Avenue, 1 block east of Alma. About 6 or so blocks west of Topanga.
    Melissa

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

About nine years ago, DH and I had afternoon tea at the Hotel Vancouver ... nine years ago, mind you. Might have changed.

Melissa, that whole area you're talking about in your post above is where I used to live when I was in grad school!
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Here ya go: http://www.fairmont.com/hotelvancouv...ttheCastle.htm

THat makes sense as I'm pretty sure that Fairmont also owns The Empress. However, "high tea" isn't IMO a Vancouver institution like it is in Victoria. I mean, in Victoria, there are locals who go for high tea, KWIM? In Vancouver, we just go to Starbucks, LOL.

Here is the link to The Empress: http://www.fairmont.com/empress/Gues...ternoonTea.htm

FWIW, I've had high tea at The Ritz in London England and I thought the tea at the Empress was on a par with that.
    Melissa

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Hee - we just went because we have a thing about visiting as many Fairmont hotels as possible. Haven't been to the Empress yet, but it's on the list
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Holy mackerel. I could eat in Vancouver for a month with these reccos!!! Thanks so much.

There is a whole separate kids market at Granville Island? That is totally on my to do list. (Granville Island was on the list anyway, but that sounds fun.)

I would love to get to Grouse Mountain--can we do public transport there?
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Yeah, there is the main part of Granville Island, closer to the water. The Kids Market is closer to the car entrance to Granville Island. Anyone there should be able to tell you where it is. Right near there is a restaurant called Isadoras, which is excellent for brunch. Very busy, but worth it.

Public transit to Grouse Mountain might be possible. YOu can definitely take the SeaBus from down by Canada Place (the old train station, its called Waterfront Station now) over to North Vancouver. The SeaBus docks in N. Van at a mini-Granville Island called Lonsdale Quay. Its OK -- not as good as Granville Island by any means. From there, there is probably a bus that goes to Grouse, but I have no idea which one. Or, you could take a taxi from there. The SeaBus is actually a nice ride -- its about 10-15 minutes on the water.
    Melissa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast