Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default DVD player for long car trip

Hi all,
    I am in search of a DVD player for my son to watch videos on in the car-- should hang over the back of the seat. Any reccs for brands or a good deal?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by bunyvet; 03-13-2009 at 09:47 PM. Reason: delete- posted twice!

Leo is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

Did you have any luck finding one? I'm looking for the same thing, hopefully one with a two screens to hang over each seat. Thanks!

Default Dvd

I wish Ihad found one! But no, no luck yet on a good deal. I only need one screen to hang between the two seats for a single child.
    Sorry!
    Andrea

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

There is a dual screen one on sale at Target this week. You obviously don't have to use both screens and may find 2 would be useful in the future. I think it is $77.

Default continued DVD search

all the reviews for the one at Target said it was not so good so I skipped that. The Sony 820 and 930 models get super ratings but both run at least $150.00. I am hoping to find a good deal on one of these,
    Thank!

I too am searching for a portable DVD player with 2 screens. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Well, I found one on Amazon that had good reviews (most have pretty bad reviews.) It just went on sale, so I bought it. After using it a few times, I will post some feedback here.

http://www.amazon.com/Coby-TFDVD7751...pr_product_top

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post
    Well, I found one on Amazon that had good reviews (most have pretty bad reviews.) It just went on sale, so I bought it. After using it a few times, I will post some feedback here.

Amazon looks like your best bet, I found quite a few good ones on there.
    Mom to 2
    -Bethany 5 months
    -Brad 3 years
    Life can get crazy, So I'm Fortunate to have such a loving family.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo View Post

We've finally gotten enough use of of the dvd player that I'm ready to post a little review. We normally limit our kids exposure to tv and videos and we save the dvd player only for long trips.

I'd recommend this Coby. We used it for about 12 hours total on four long rides. The picture quality is surprisingly good. The sound worked fine as did the remote control. Connecting it inside the car wasn't too hard because the directions were good. After doing it once, you probably won't need to refer to the directions again. We're not big fans of a lot of tv watching but having this dramtically decreased the stress levels of parents and children alike. We also got to our destination faster because we didn't have to stop as much to give the kids a break from a monotonous car ride.

The headphones rest on the back of the head, rather the top. After a short time, my kids preferred that they unplug the headphone and get the sound through the units. This worked out fine. We turned off the rear speakers in the minivan. My wife and I listened to our radio station out of the front speakers and the kids listened to the dvd with the sound relatively low. We had only two snags with the system when the picture froze up. We had to stop the player and take the dvd disk out and put it back. Everything worked fine after that. The freeze up occurred once when we hit a big bump. Not sure why it froze the second time (on a different trip.) Other than that we've had no problems.

You have to follow the price movement on Amazon because it can be tricky. The dvd player was selling for about 145.xx for a while, then suddenly went up to over 300.xx. A few days later it was 138.xx. I also bought the two year protection plan because reviews I've read of other dvd players indicated some reliability problems.

Thanks for the review Leo! My kidlets received a double screen dvd player for Christmas. It was the Insignia brand from Best Buy. Almost immediately we started having problems, and it totally stopped working a week or so ago. I looked at the reviews online, and they all are apparently having the same problems. The trouble is that Best Buy doesn't carry another option. We ended up getting an RCA set, but they're having problems too and are about to be returned. Honestly, I've had trouble finding any that have more than 3 of 5 stars, which is not acceptable in my opinion. As of today, the one you got is back up to $300. I'll keep watching it in hopes that it returns to a more reasonable price. Please keep us updated if you have any further problems!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast