Question Stroller/Buggy Bd Help for 6 yo and 3 yo

We're going to WDW at the end of the month with my just-turned-6 yo and my 3.5 yo. The big guy has a tendency to get tired pretty easily so I'm going to need something for him if we plan to survive the week!

When we're out and about with both of them around here we usually use our Phil & Ted's with doubles kit, but DH has ruled that out because it would be a pain to assemble/disassemble every time we got on and off the monorail and it isn't exactly gate-check friendly at the airport. I love my Mac Quest and so does DH, especially for airline travel, because it's lightweight and folds so compactly yet still steers well/easily. So DH wants to get a buggy board and use that with the Quest so that DS #1 can hop on and off as he gets tired.

Will this work? Has anyone tried a similar set-up? Or am I better off spending the $$$ on some sort of lightweight SBS? I'm thinking maybe the Joovy Groove 2, (although I still haven't seen one IRL).

TIA for the opinions!

clc053103 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I went with a 6 yo and 3 yo with a Zippy- we didn't always use it in the parks though, we rented a single or double there depending on the day (we also had a 10 yo that was not to proud to climb aboard). I recall the 6yo (nephew) never, ever got on the riding step, even though i offered it many times. if he was tired, he wanted to ride IN the stroller, not stand on the back.

Since you have 2 adults, would you consider taking the Quest, and then picking up a Volo for the 6 yo? You could probably figure out a way to put the volo under the quest or use the strap to attach it to the back of the quest when it was not in use, but have it handy for 6 yo when him when he needs a lift! that to me sounds better than a double which would be more difficult to push, and then you are always stuck with a double- some times, like evenings going to dinner, just your little guy may want to ride and 6 yo walk, so you could just take a Quest.

Just my two cents!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I agree that if your 6yo is tired enough to need a ride, he'll probably want a seat and not a step. I thought that those add-on steps had to be removed, too, to fold the stroller, but maybe I'm wrong. They do stick far out and are hard to not kick while pushing. I don't think it would be worth it for a Disney trip.

Two singles would be a great plan. Your 6yo will likely need a stroller more at the end of the day/week than at the beginning, so you could just take one stroller on the early days or in the mornings. If you don't want to buy a new stroller, how about taking your P&T (without the doubles seat) and the Quest?

And FYI, you don't normally have to fold your stroller on the monorail. But even if you are at a monorail resort, you'll use busses a lot for other parks and will have to fold the stroller to get on the bus.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Bens Momma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Just returned from WDW 2 weeks ago. My DC are just about the same age as yours. I posted about and considered many different options for transporting the kiddos while we were there. We ended up using a Mac Quest for older DS and a Triumph for younger DS and it worked out GREAT! I think you'll definitely want a seating option for both and not just the step. Even my high energy guys rode (and slept ) in the strollers a ton. In hindsight I am so glad that we opted for 2 single strollers instead of a double. Tons of people do the double, but I think the singles were easier to fold and manuever through the crowd. If you're taking Disney bus transportation you'll want something that folds quick and compact as they can get pretty packed and everyone loads fairly quickly. Besides 2 singles give you the option of leaving one behind at the hotel if you think only one child will want to ride if you return for an evening or short event (althugh this wasn't the case for us.)

Since you already have the Quest I would look into another inexpensive single like a Volo, Truimph, Joovy, etc. There have been several threads about lightweight stroller options at a reasonable price, I just can't recall the other brands at this time. Good luck, and enjoy your trip!

HTH-
    R.
    Momma to 2 ACTIVE DS

PS-Lori (above) is right that if not too crowded you can just wheel your stroller right onto the monorail which is great with a sleeping child! You do have to fold and hold on the buses though!
    Last edited by Bens Momma; 03-25-2009 at 09:10 PM.

We're going in a couple weeks and since we have a 1 and 5 year old, we have never used a double. We are renting a city mini double from orlandostrollerrental.com. The stroller and the company have had great reviews on dis baords. They also have a joovy rental but the owner suggested the city mini for my kids ages. It's cheaper than Disney stroller rental and they drop it off at your hotel.

We looked at a buggy board but DD5 did not seem excited by the idea and I think it has a 40 lb weight limit.

We are taking a lightweight Esprit sun (like Mac triumph) for airport and also when we only need a single for the 1 year old (downtown disney, dinners, MK probably).

Michelle
    Last edited by mnosky1; 04-10-2009 at 07:06 PM.

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We're also going to DL in a couple of weeks and will be taking 2 singles -- Volo for my 5yo and Esprit SpeedSun for the 2yo (has a great recline).
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011