Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Big Girl Bed has arrived, ideas how to make it safe

So today DD's much anticipated big girl bed (white petite marguerite bed) from Land of Nod arrived. It's beautiful but a bit higher than expected. I wanted to check the Lounge for ideas since I'm looking from input from Parents with toddlers who may not read some of the other boards such as nursery necc. Looking for some creative ideas and input on what works & what does not work regarding keeping her safe in the bed.

Background: I had picked up a bed rail from One Step Ahead and am not sure this type of rail works with a bed with slats at the bottom. I will call them tomorrow if I can to see what they say. LON did sell a rail for this particular bed so that could be an option. I've also noticed bolsters and was wondering if they work. Also wondering if a body pillow would be an options since those are super easy to pick up in a B&M store. DD has been sleeping with me and often sleeps in our king size bed alone with pillows around her. She doesn't always like covers on her. I tend to put a quilt on top of her that gives some weight on top of her but doesn't make her feel too confined. She isn't a big mover and tends to sit up when she wakes up & then call for me. Her room has an area rug by the side of the bed but nothing at the end except hard wood. I did pick up some egg crate bedding to put down there at night. Maybe I'll pick up a small area rug for that spot.

Any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated!

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I made a snugtuck pillow to go on DD's big girl bed with slats and put a stool at the foot/side for her to climb into/out of it safely. I made a second pillow for the wall-side as there is a pretty decent space there b/c of the baseboards and the bedframe.

Stick a pool noodle under the sheet. It works GREAT! She can still get in and out, but it's enough of a barrier to keep her from rolling out.
    ~~AngelaS~~
    Mommy to 3 girls: A, G and M. (15, 11 and 8.5)

The education of all children, from the moment that they can get along without a mother's care, shall be in state institutions at state expense.
    – Karl Marx, "The Communist Manifesto"

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I use a pool noodle, too. It really does work!

maylips is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Not to hijack your thread, but how did you like the quality of the LON bed? We have a Jenny Lind antique that I'm thinking of using for DD, but need a dresser and nightstand - LON has Jenny Lind furniture that would match. What do you think?

BTW, I read about the pool noodles on here and that's what we'll use when we move DD over to the bed.
    Mom to my little girl 3/12/07
    ....and boy 8/04/09

CiderLogan is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We didn't use rails or noodles or anything for either of our girls; however, their beds were lower. But I was shocked at how *few* times they fell out -- they got the hang ot if really quickly. So, you could try the noodles or something, or just put pillows on the floor and see how she does.
    ~J, happy mom of two girls, ages 5 and 8

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We have a pretty high bed for DD and she's been in it since she was just over 2 years old. We tried to put a bed rail on it and couldn't get a proper fit (we got the BRUS house brand) so we took it back. She's probably only fallen out of bed two or three times and has always gotten herself back to bed. We have a step stool for her to use to get in out and out bed.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I would recommend some sort of barrier for the bed itself (bed rail, pillow, pool noodle) and then if you are still concerned, maybe buy the cheapest crib mattress you can find (even used) and put it next to her bed on the floor, in case she does fall. I had battles with DD1 about using a rail and got that idea when I saw a crib mattress for sale at a secondhand store, but I came up with another approach instead. DD1 fell out several times with nothing more than bumps and cries.

DD2, however, we think tripped on her low bed rail one night when she was very sick and trying to get to us. We found out the next day that she'd broken her collarbone in the fall after which me, Miss Cheapskate, went out that afternoon and bought the tallest and best bed rail I could find, price be damned. We think the low bed rail made her think she could easily step over it and her foot got caught, so we wanted one that looked imposing from her perspective.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

When we were staying with my ILs while looking for a house, DS slept on a mattress on the floor. We often would find him, sound asleep, with his knees on the floor and his head on the mattress. So we were worried when we got him a new bed (in our own house now).

But it has never been a problem. Sometimes when we check on him we find his legs kind of hanging out over the side, and we push him back over onto the center of the bed. But he has never fallen out of the bed--not once.

We do have carpet, and we also put some "pillow" stuffed animals along the floor next to the bed. A body pillow would serve the same purpose.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Hm, well, we have carpet so it's less of an issue. DD1 has fallen out of her bed (twin with a mattress and boxspring, so pretty high off the floor) maybe three times? She's only woken once, the other two times I found her still sleeping where she'd fallen after going to investigate the "thump", so it clearly wasn't a very hard fall!

We were able to use a bed rail that was a hand-me-down from a friend, but if we hadn't had that I would definitely have gone the pool noodle route. In fact, I probably will when DD2 eventually gets there because the bed rail was a PITA whenever we wanted to sit on the side of her bed and read bedtime stories. (It folded down but not smoothly, likely because it has been through several kids/beds so far.)

Sarah
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast