SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Can you help me pick a park?

We are only going to go one day and go to one park so I am trying to decide which one. Each one has something we would want to do but getting a park hopper for one day seems like a bad idea to me- we would spend more time hopping than playing- so I am not entertaining that idea. Because we went to Disneyland 1.5 years ago we are scratching the Magic Kingdom off our list.

My 6yo *loves* rides and can handle intense rides.

I am currently leaning towards Animal Kingdom based on my MIL's recommendation and because I really want to ride Expedition Everest. However, I am not really that interested in the animal part, nor is ds1.

I thought dh would like Epcot and there seem to be fun things to do there. It was the par I liked when I was younger.

Hollywood Studios has some fun looking things but isn't really on the top of my list unless I hear on here that it is the one to pick.

Thank you for any guidance!

Beth

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I would suggest Epcot. In addition to being the most pleasant park when crowded (IMO), it has several popular rides: Test Track, Mission Space and Soarin. TT and Soarin are Sarah's 2 favorite rides at WDW. There are also several tamer rides that would be good for your younger DS as well.

HS has 2 major rides, RockNRollercoaster and Tower of Terror. Don't know how you feel about those, but both are too intense for my thrillseeker. Other than that there are several shows there, so if your kids are not into shows it isn't such a good park.

I do like AK very much, but I do not like it when it is crowded. It's a difficult park to navigate, IMO, when crowded.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Since your 6 yo really loves rides, have you considered Islands of Adventure? Just a thought. IMHO, the non Magic Kingdom parks just don't have enough "real" rides for a ride lover.

EE is a great coaster, but I liked RnR at DHS just a tiny bit more. I also really like ToT though. Are you all fireworks or parade people at all? DHS also has Fantasmic. Is DS2 into Playhouse Disney? DS really liked that show, and he isn't much of a show watcher typically. Midway Mania is also pretty cool (just make sure you run and get a fast pass for it immediately.)

Animal Kingdom is really neat. I love the look of it, but DS was not a fan. There just isn't a whole lot to ride. To me, it's a nice wandering around, watching shows kind of park.

Epcot- I could go either way on that. Test Track is fun, but it's not like a traditional coaster. And Soarin is fun, but it's not a typical "ride", kwim?

They all have their own pros and cons.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Quote Originally Posted by JTsMom View Post
    Since your 6 yo really loves rides, have you considered Islands of Adventure? Just a thought. IMHO, the non Magic Kingdom parks just don't have enough "real" rides for a ride lover.
    I did think about that as a possibility. Maybe I'll have to think about it a bit more. It did look like a lot of fun! I know *I* would enjoy it. I have such a hard time resisting Disney though...

Thank you both for your input. Decisions, decisions!

~Beth

clc053103 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I think MK would actually be your best bet. Epcot doesn't have many "thrilling" rides. I have never found enough at AK and DHS to even complete a full day at either of the parks. MK you could definitely ride the day away!!!!

When are you going? Be warned that Space Mountain is closing soon for up to 6 months or more!

JTsMom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I did think about that as a possibility. Maybe I'll have to think about it a bit more. It did look like a lot of fun! I know *I* would enjoy it. I have such a hard time resisting Disney though...

Thank you both for your input. Decisions, decisions!

~Beth
    It is fun- I've been there a couple of times. The rides are awesome! I do love Disney too, but less for the rides, more for the Disney magic. I also have a hard time doing Disney for just one day, so that would sway me as well.
    Lori
    Mom to Jason 05/05
    and Zachary 05/10

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DS1 loves thrill rides, too, as long as they aren't scary. He loves Space Mountain (just fast and dark), Rock n Roller Coaster (faster, upside-down and dark) and such, but doesn't like Tower of Terror (can't get past the movie), Expedition Everest (the Yeti) and Dinosaur (very bumpy and very intense - T-Rex in your face stuff).

His absolute favorite park is Epcot. He could bounce back and forth between Test Track and (his favorite) Mission Space all day long. He could get lost all day in Innoventions (like a children's science museum). Loves Spaceship Earth, loves the Land boat ride, is okay with Soarin (not thrilling enough for him, lol), and enjoys walking around the countries. The ride at Mexico is really cute and both boys enjoy it.

At DHS, he loves Rock n Roller Coaster (one of the biggest thrill rides at WDW - but it is very upbeat and fun), the Indiana Jones stunt show, the Lights Cameras Action stunt show, and Star Wars. Tower of Terror is too scary for him - he doesn't get past the opening movie. They have the Power Rangers characters, you can meet Lightning McQueen and Mater, Monsters Inc, the Incredibles - some good characters for the older boys.

At MK, he loves Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain and Splash Mountain. Also, Philharmagic (movie), Peter Pan, Tomorrowland Speedway, Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin, Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Carribean. I haven't taken him on Stitch yet as I think it is far too intense for him.

At AK, Expedition Everest and Dinosaur are too intense for him. He likes the Safari ride and Primeval Whirl (which was closed for a while - not sure if it is open yet).

AK would be my last choice for you. My ride list from MK is probably all stuff you recently saw at DL, right? Your DS might really enjoy DHS even though it isn't usually my first recommendation for parks - but you'll probably easily see everything you want to see in a day (with time to ride some rides twice), which may be appealling. Epcot is awesome and it sounds like you'd all enjoy it but you won't be able to do everything in a day.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

TraciG is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't really like AK, Go to Epcot or MK again. To me Disney doesn't have that many thrill ride's. At MK you can see the Mickey show on at the Castle, the parade in the day & the electrical parade at night, the firework's at night at the castle, LOVE them.

Goo dluck, tough decision
    Traci

Mom to Sydney Nicole & Jacob Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    but getting a park hopper for one day seems like a bad idea to me- we would spend more time hopping than playing- so I am not entertaining that idea.
    Just wanted to agree with you that this is a bad idea DH and I are roller coaster people and always stay on sight at Universal, but we wanted to do 1 day of disney, which involved us hitting 3 parks in a day. Soo tiring and not worth it. Next time we'll just stick to 1!

This is all very complicated. I really appreciate all the helpful feedback! Thank you for the reviews and ideas!!

Beth