Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by neeleymartin View Post
    quite sure that vinegar on it's own does not, but mix with water and tea tree oil and it does disinfect. the tea tree oil does. we use it in the bathroom.
    Where do you buy tea tree oil?
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Vinegar disinfects pretty well on its own, and if you add tea tree oil, even moreso. But alone it is pretty effective from what I've read. You can buy TTO at Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, health food stores, etc. I don't shop at Walmart but I've read here before that at least some Walmarts carry it (not sure what dept...pharmacy?)

I don't have granite or marble in my home. I've read that you should use caution using vinegar on natural stone. Otherwise, IME it works well on most other surfaces.

Straight vinegar or straight baking soda in a dishwasher supposedly can etch dishes/glasses. I've read this in numerous places. I used baking soda once or twice in the dishwasher, read about etching, and didn't use it again. Some people do it long term without a problem, but I wouldn't chance it if you like your stuff We like Ecover tabs for the dishwasher.

mom2224 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Dumb Question!!

White vinegar, right? Mixed with water 50/50? Thanks! I'm new to vinegar, but went to BJs today and now own a big jug of it.
    Mom of 4 boys.

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    . I don't shop at Walmart but I've read here before that at least some Walmarts carry it (not sure what dept...pharmacy?).
    Yes, I found TTO in the pharmacy dept at Walmart.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

So what is the solution?

I went and bought the tea tree oil today and need to know. Say, per gallon, how much water, how much vinegar and how much tea tree oil??
    Angelina
    DD 10/6/08
    DS 9/10/13

glad you found the tea tree oil. sorry not to reply sooner.

i usually do about 25% vinegar, 75% water and then add a shaky shaky of tea tree oil. if i had to count drops, i would say about 10-20, honestly never count. sometimes more vinegar, less water, or vice versa.

it will clean well no matter what. have fun. sometimes i add a touch of peppermint to my mix, i love the smell. i get all my eo at the health food store.

the nurse that works at my elementary school adds oil to her hand sanitizer to make it smell better. brilliant idea. she is showcasing eucalyptus most recently, but has done lemon, lavender, and tto in the past.

oils are magical!!!

happy green cleaning!
    neeley

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2224 View Post
    White vinegar, right? Mixed with water 50/50? Thanks! I'm new to vinegar, but went to BJs today and now own a big jug of it.
    That is our ratio for our Pergo. I also add a little bit (I don't measure but I could say it's about a teaspoon or so) of TJ's mandarin orange dish soap to help with the cleaning. I vacuum, wipe down the floors with warm water and spay the solution on. They look great. I use an old Murphy's Oil soap spray bottle as it has a nice fine mist.
    Last edited by infomama; 03-27-2009 at 09:19 PM.

mom2224 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thanks Infomama, sounds great!
    Mom of 4 boys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2