Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We buy applegate (preferably the grass fed beef ones) or Coleman. Our costco hasn't carried the Coleman since last spring/summer but they are supposedly under review for what will be carried this spring. I know some Costcos in other areas have them back in stores already, but they aren't at ours. THe price couldn't be beat.

My parents can find Coleman hotdogs at their local Lowe's grocery here in NC. I have a Lowe's grocery near me (different store) and they don't carry Coleman.

Quote Originally Posted by infomama View Post
    They convert into carcinogens which are cancer causing agents. Nasty stuff. Read this article and you may never eat deli meat again. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16361276/#storyContinued
    Is that just pre-packaged stuff in the refrigerated section or does it also include when you have your deli meat freshly sliced at the deli counter?

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by left210 View Post
    Is that just pre-packaged stuff in the refrigerated section or does it also include when you have your deli meat freshly sliced at the deli counter?
    That absolutely includes deli meat. Applegate makes nitrate/nitrite free lunch meat if that is available to you (TJ's has it).

boolady is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by left210 View Post
    Deli meat isn't fresh meat. As far as I know, it all is preserved in some way, either with nitrates/nitrites or in some instances, with other salts. That's why the texture/taste is not the same as if you just cooked a turkey breast or eye round roast at home and sliced it.

DD doesn't really eat any deli meat, or if she does, it's the occasional organic. DH and I, on the other hand, still make sandwiches for lunch too often since they're easy to make and transport to work, but we're trying to replace the deli meat with homebaked turkey breast, roast, or chicken and other non-meat lunch alternatives.
    Jen, mom to my silly monkey, 10/06

i second the coleman's suggestion. they are nitrate free and really good! my kids love them.

Default Nitrites & Nitrates

Read the labels -- they take out the Nitrates & sub Nitrites -- neither is good for you. even the ones at whole foods. -- The issues is not just the chemical being cancer causing. But its tons of SALT --which must be bad for my son's mini kidneys. When I was pregnant my ob was big about not eating cold cuts or processes meats like hot dogs-- because of nitrates, sodium & other preservatives. She also said buying the organic does not mean its better -- there is still some kind of perservative ( Salt is natural but not a good habit to start) I am keeping hot-dogs & cold cuts in the party "special occasion" category like cake & candy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2